1tb error's RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    I have an Asus p5n32-sli Prem Mother Board with the latest BIOS and a 1 TB drive, Im using WHS pp2 and I am having errors with that drive the machine works fine with 300 500 and 640 gig hd's both IDE and SATA but for some reason my 1TB just keeps giving me read and write errors. Its not the HD because this is the secound HD in a week to show the problem both of them were 1 tb, Both different manufactures, I have tryed all sata ports and different cables.

Any help would be Great

IAN (UK)
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:04 PM hardware question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:24 PM

All replies

• (moved to Hardware and Installation forum)

Some motherboards don't support very large drives connected to SATA ports that are running in IDE mode. If your server is configured to use IDE mode you should check with Asus as to whether there is a workaround, or investigate whether you can reinstall Windows Home Server using the SATA drivers supplied by Asus instead of IDE drivers.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:04 PM
  • Ok thanks for correcting me on the forum.

I have tested the hd on a windows 7 and can read my data so all is not lost.

Ill check out asus for work arounds thanks for the help will post back hear when i find out any more info.

Many Thanks

IAN (UK)
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:08 PM
  • I had to place the shunts in  the number 3 position because my MB would not recognize the drive at 3gb rate. The shunts told it to read/write at 1.5 gb and all is well. This was a SATA drive also.
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 12:47 AM