Backup Complaint RRS feed

• Question

• I can't believe you guys ever read these.  I have Network Attached Storage and would like to use it as the Backup source for all computers but can't.  Now I can't even use drives on other computers.  I think that if I go to the Attached storage on another computer it times out.  Now you have done away with letting me design the backup I need not your generic backup of of every drive.  I use SyncToy to back up files I use between computers.  Give me control of backup, what drive I choose to backup to and what I want to backup.

Sunday, December 2, 2007 12:43 AM

Answers

• Try settin up these network locations using "Map network Drives" and give them drive letters and then point the backup to that.

Example \\Dlink-ec202f\Volume_1  is mapped as drive X on my system and I just point Norton to backup to a folder on Drive X.

I had to do it the same way with OneCare 2 beta.

Friday, December 7, 2007 10:14 PM

All replies

• Network Shares are valid destinations for backup. You must have full rights to the Share and OneCare may need the credentials for the Shares. What is your NAS device? Can you access the NAS from Windows Explorer?

You can exclude locations from being checked for files to backup and you can define the file types that are backed up.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 3:26 AM
  • Netgear SC101, How do I exclude locations and define file types, my system has two internal drives for 300GB, two NAS Drives for  500Gb and a USB 250 GB drive that For now am aiming my backup at but my backup is failing because it wants 265GB for backup.  I should be able to tailor the system befor backup ever runs, I have important files (pictures, videos, music are duplicated on the 2nd internal drive and one of the NAS drives, so that from anycomputer I can access the storage and then I manually copy new files so that if I had to I can grab the the NAS and still have the most irrreplaceable  photos etc.)  The next thing I am going to try is to disconnect the NAS so that I can get the files size down but I don't want to have to do this and my customers computers every time we backup.  A user should be able to define their their backup and backup locations before they start, the wizard is great if you don't have but one HD and one Backup drive but for users with multiple systems and NAS it stinks.

Friday, December 7, 2007 8:31 PM
  • Try settin up these network locations using "Map network Drives" and give them drive letters and then point the backup to that.

Example \\Dlink-ec202f\Volume_1  is mapped as drive X on my system and I just point Norton to backup to a folder on Drive X.

I had to do it the same way with OneCare 2 beta.

Friday, December 7, 2007 10:14 PM
  • Scortch2 is correct - that's the way it needs to be configured. Create a Share on the NAS and point the backup to it when you configure it. Exclude the folders you wish to ignore for the backup scan during the configuration of the backup.

-steve

Saturday, December 8, 2007 2:40 AM
  • I had the same problem but I tried checking fewer files and it made no difference in the 218.4 files I need room to back up.

I upgraded from beta to 2.0 and have not been able to do a backup yet.

The old BU were 14 to 18 gig each. I think it saw my TV files and will not release them from the BU

How do I fix fix this.

Monday, December 31, 2007 10:08 PM
  •  vairpower wrote:

I had the same problem but I tried checking fewer files and it made no difference in the 218.4 files I need room to back up.

I upgraded from beta to 2.0 and have not been able to do a backup yet.

The old BU were 14 to 18 gig each. I think it saw my TV files and will not release them from the BU

How do I fix fix this.

Can you clarify what happens when you try to perform a backup?

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 1:08 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.  I have been unable to backup to my NAS.  Each time I try, it gets to 2% then fails with the message "Backup cannot continue because the backup location is no longer available."  However, I can view the share in windows explorer, and a "Windows Onecare Backup" folder has been created, and under this directory a directory with the name of the pc being backup up.

Any ideas what this might be?

Thursday, January 3, 2008 10:51 PM
  •  yosnoor wrote:

I'm having the same problem.  I have been unable to backup to my NAS.  Each time I try, it gets to 2% then fails with the message "Backup cannot continue because the backup location is no longer available."  However, I can view the share in windows explorer, and a "Windows Onecare Backup" folder has been created, and under this directory a directory with the name of the pc being backup up.

Any ideas what this might be?

It seems like it might be a permissions problem, but since the backup folder was created, that doesn't make sense. Please contact support for help with this - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Friday, January 4, 2008 8:06 PM
  • I've had the same problem trying to back up from two different networked PCs running XP to my main PC's local USB hard drive. The main PC is on Vista.  For security my main PC backups are all encrypted (otherwise a burglar just steals my life when he takes the external hard drive).  All backups from the other PCs failed, after a time, with "Backup cannot continue because the backup location is no longer available."  

I have just fixed the problem by ensuring that the backup target locations for the two networked PCs are not encrypted.  Not satisfactory from the security point of view, but it works.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:55 PM
  • Yes, I am aware that you can do that but it just makes my PC the funnel for data transfers rather than using the NAS, which takes the burden of of a computer to handle the transfer,
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:16 PM