Resynchronizing after reinstallation - overwriting newer files? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Windows 7 RTM from a Windows 7 RC install. After installing I spent a week before installing Live Mesh, using files in the Documents folder as normal. So a few files were newer than the Live Desktop versions when I pointed the Live Mesh Documents folder to synchronize to My Documents. Nothing was transferring, and aside from a resurrected folder or two, all was well. However, today when I was working with one of the documents, I saved it and closed it. When I reopened it to make a change, it had reverted to the old Live Desktop version. I hadn't taken any action to resolve a conflict or anything. Because I had enabled "Show Hidden OS files" I noticed that there was a .wlx version of the file pervious to the reversion, and that it had disappeared after the reversion. The other files in the directory, which hadn't reverted, still had the .wlx file. Luckily, I found the current version of the file in "AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase\HoldingArea. I don't understand what could have happened. Any ideas?
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 3:49 AM

Answers

• The best that I can offer is to file a bug report with logs as this should not have happened. The logs may reveal what actuall occurred.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you probably won't get a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 1:07 PM

All replies

• The best that I can offer is to file a bug report with logs as this should not have happened. The logs may reveal what actuall occurred.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you probably won't get a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 1:07 PM
  • Thank you, I'm doing that now. I am grateful that Live Mesh moves things to the recycle bin though, rather than simply deleting them. That, at least, is a good practice!
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 3:06 PM
  • Thank you, I'm doing that now. I am grateful that Live Mesh moves things to the recycle bin though, rather than simply deleting them. That, at least, is a good practice!

Indeed! However, I'll also add that you should be keeping a backup of any files that you don't want to lose. Although Live Mesh works pretty well, it is a beta. Data loss or corruption remains a possibility.
    -steve
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:14 PM