WHS v1 (2007) system drive failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, my WHS v1 (2007) system drive crashed completely. I don't want to lose data on the storage drives.

I've read many posts on this topic. It's still ambiguous as to whether the troubleshooting steps are the same for my version. I don't want my storage drives to get reintialized.

I did the following 1) replaced the system dive, 2) reconnected all storage drives, and 3) booted from my very old looking WHS 2007 DVD.

I saw no option to restore / recover / rebuild, which scares me, so I stopped. When would I see a recovery option? Or is that not an option with a blank drive 0?

If I do a reinstall on the blank system drive, should the drives with my data on them be connected during the install or re-connected after the install finishes? BTW, they had full folder duplication turned on at the time of failure.

Many thanks in advance!

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 4:57 AM

All replies

• See this FAQ.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:23 AM
  • The FAQ section of this Forum has lots of useful information - start here:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:23 AM
  • See this FAQ.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thanks Ken, I have a specific question not answered by the FAQ:

My system drive died and has been removed from the system. Will I be offered a reinstall by the WHS installer if I install a new system drive?

I would rather not buy a new drive and install in Drive 0 just to find out if the WHS installer will offer a reinstall (and be able to rebuild the tombstones from the data drives)

If no reinstall is possible with a blank system disk, I just have to start scrounging files from my data drives, and I can save the cost of buying a new drive.

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 11:59 PM