New PC, same name, but WHS thinks it is different! RRS feed

• Question

• I've just built a new PC with the same computer name, but WHS thinks it is different!

How can I convince WHS that this is the same PC, and give me access to my backups?

-- Nigel M
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:33 PM

All replies

• If you are just trying to get access to files that were backed up you should be able to do that from any computer that has the connector software installed.  

You need to open up the Home Server Console from this new PC using the WHS connector (not from an RDP session), go to the Computers and Backups tab, right click on the computer and select View Backups, select the date you want, click OPEN, then select the volume (if necessary), and click OPEN.  At which point WHS should unpack the backed up files, and create a temporary mapped drive (Z:) that you can access your files in explorer from, then you just copy what you need from Z to your local computer.

If you are trying to do a system restore using your old PC's backup to this new PC, that's a different story.. I'm not sure if you could do that.

And I don't think there is any simple way to trick WHS into thinking both computers are the same device. (I'm sue someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:27 PM
  • I don't think there is any simple way to trick WHS into thinking both computers are the same device. (I'm sue someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

So how does it know it's different? MAC address perhaps?
    -- Nigel M
    Friday, April 15, 2011 12:06 AM
  • Not sure maybe it's kind of like how windows knows whether you're installing Windows on a new PC or the same old PC, could be that it takes some kind of signature based on the hardware you have installed...  but I'm just guessing..

On the bright side at least you still have access to the files backed up from the old computer.

Friday, April 15, 2011 12:26 AM