Can''t do a backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have 5 computers connected to WHS, 3 laptops and two desktops. All installations and setup were successful except one laptop, an Acer Aspire 6930 running XP Pro 64 bit.  the connector software never fully installed on this machine.  When discovery.exe gets to the Configuing Computer Backup part, it says that I must update the connector software in order to proceed. I click OK and it says that everything is now configured. But it isn't.

In the WHS control panel the laptop is listed but when I right-click on that particular computer and the backup menu popsup, both Backup Now  and Configure Backup is dimmed out!

Any help at all will be appreciated.

Monday, May 24, 2010 8:11 PM

Answers

• XP Professional x64 isn't supported as a Windows Home Server client computer. So no, you won't be able to back that computer up to your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 24, 2010 8:44 PM

All replies

• XP Professional x64 isn't supported as a Windows Home Server client computer. So no, you won't be able to back that computer up to your server.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 8:44 PM
  • Thanks.
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 4:24 PM
  • Are there any plans for future support for XP Professional x64 in WHS?

Thursday, May 27, 2010 4:28 PM
  • Not that I know of. Windows Home Server's backup engine uses Volume Shadowcopy Services, and there are significant differences between VSS in XP x64, XP x86, and Vista/Windows 7 (x64 or x86). Microsoft chose to support mainstream home use operating systems for Windows Home Server, so they didn't attempt to support XP x64 since there's such a small installed base.  that means that the VSS providers in XP x64 would need to change, and XP is in extended support status now, so only security-related patches should be expected.
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 4:40 PM