Drive Capacity and Backup Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have three drives in my server.  The system is 320GB, and two secondary drives are 320GB and 500GB.  When I check the free space on my drives, there is only about 20GB used on the system drive (which is ideal, I think).  The 500GB drive has 320GB free, but the 320GB secondary drive has only 10GB free.  I am sure this is because the backup database (currently 170GB) must be stored on that 320GB drive. 

Why doesn't WHS automatically store the backup database on the largest secondary drive?  The system was built from scratch with these three drives, so it is not a case where I added the 500GB drive after the others existed.

Am I on the verge of having data stored on my system drive once the 10GB is used up on the secondary 320GB drive?  Is there a way to coax the server to move the backup database to the 500GB drive?

If I replace the 320GB drive with a very large drive (say 1TB) I might still run into the same problem if the server moves the backup database to the 500GB drive and I then only have 150GB until that one is full.

Thanks for any help.

Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:03 AM

Answers

• In general, you will have the best success if you build your server with storage pool drives added in somwehat matched pairs, rather than adding a drive at a time as you run out of space. In your particular situation, yes, you're probably close to having duplicate files stored on your system drive. There is no way to get Windows Home Server to move a file from one drive to another, unfortunately (other than to get it to clear files off the system drive when it fills up).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by VSMN1 Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:53 PM
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:17 PM

All replies

• In general, you will have the best success if you build your server with storage pool drives added in somwehat matched pairs, rather than adding a drive at a time as you run out of space. In your particular situation, yes, you're probably close to having duplicate files stored on your system drive. There is no way to get Windows Home Server to move a file from one drive to another, unfortunately (other than to get it to clear files off the system drive when it fills up).
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:17 PM
  • Thanks, Ken

That's what I feared.  I did have one idea since I posted my question.  If I removed the 320GB drive, I am assuming that WHS would move the backup database to the 500GB drive (and a lot of duplicate files to my system drive).  If I then reinstalled the 320 GB drive, I am assuming WHS would not move the backup database (but would move the duplicate files off my system drive), and I would recover the space. 

Is that worth a try as at least a short-term measure until I get larger secondary drives?

Vern
    • Unmarked as answer by VSMN1 Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:53 PM
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 7:10 PM
  • Windows Home Server will only move files from drive to drive if it must. In the scenario you describe I would expect that anything moved to the system drive would be left there, even after you added a larger drive to the storage pool. this is because the system drive isn't yet full...
    • Unmarked as answer by VSMN1 Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:53 PM
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:59 AM
  • Thanks for your help, Ken

I have temporarily added a couple large USB drives to the pool and will leave them there until I can replace the smaller secondary drive with a much larger one.  My server is has a small case and can only hold three drives, so I need to migrate toward two very large secondary drives.

Vern
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:53 PM