Activation issue RRS feed

• Question

• All,

Good morning.  I was directed to this site by the good people of AumHa Forums.  I'm having an issue with my Dell Lattitude C640. Several years ago I was having issues with it and had to reload Windows. I didn't have recovry disks, but the friend I was staying with at the time had Windows XP Pro cd's with additional keys. He didn't need them all, so gave me one. No big deal, reloaded and the world was right once again. I haven't had the laptop on the internet for quite a while due to a personal boycott of the local DSL provider. They had a monopoly authorized by the Chamber of Commerce, and were raping their customers. So I lived w/o. Anyhow, I have changed locations since then and set it up for my Wife to use. Being that it hasn't been online in ages, it is severly out of date. No big deal, except it won't install SP2 (I also don't have SP1).

It installed the Windows Verification, and passed it, but there is an error about activation. Looking around online I found a windows check program, and it also told me I'm not activated. I had to run "oobe/msoobe /a" to do the activation because it's not located in system tools. I run that, and Windows tells me I'm already activated. What's going on? 

My MGA diagnostic follows:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key:
    Windows Product Key Hash: RVvFciZMdQfJLyDpZteolhaqicQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-0000356-23434
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.0.0.pro
    ID: {62CCD2E8-6708-4359-A4AC-53CE3EDF9D5F}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.8.31.9
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-231-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.8.31.9
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-231-1_E2AD56EA-765-d003_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{62CCD2E8-6708-4359-A4AC-53CE3EDF9D5F}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.0.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-2B7Q8</PKey><PID>55274-640-0000356-23434</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-790525478-2111687655-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Latitude C640                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A10</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040112******.******+***</Date></BIOS><HWID>C6783307018400D2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GTB Standard Time(GMT+02:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.8.31.9"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.8.31.9"/></GANotification></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>B39B32C70B84D00</Val><Hash>/VPVDU2dgnFxgh/9L122D/Ia2N4=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-2593682-57604</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: A000:Dell Inc|A000:Microsoft Corporation
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

-Tolley

• Changed type Stephen Holm Monday, February 9, 2009 6:33 PM
    Monday, February 9, 2009 4:53 AM

Answers

All replies

•  Hello CTolley,

Thank you for contacting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum. Your post is out of scope for the WGA program forum as well as out of our expertise.

In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may or may not be of help. Recovery Media is specific to your computer manufacturer. Contact your manufacturer to assist with your request and/or questions. Since the telephone number and websites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

I have included their contact information here for your convenience. Thank you again for contacting us here in the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.

Dell Technical Support

(800) 624-9896

Welcome To Dell Support http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Dell Community Forums

http://en.community.dell.com/

Request Backup Discs

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=3E48AE3870775D64E040A68F5B2877D4&journalid=42D67CDF2508563DE040A68F5A28695C&Query=&SystemID=&ServiceTag=&contenttype=&os=&component=&lang=&doclang=&toggle=&dl=

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, February 9, 2009 9:14 PM
    Monday, February 9, 2009 9:13 PM
  • Thank you for the reply Stephen.  I will be contacting them now.  Never would have thought of it as a manufacturer issue. 

-Tolley

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:58 AM
  • CTolley,

In your situation the best solution would be to acquire the Dell OS Reinstallation CD(s) for your Latitude laptop and then backup and offload your data, then do a clean installation of XP with the Dell CD.  This method provides the best chance of a malware-free, properly installed Windows, which should be noticeably faster and more stable that the current installation.

It's likely current Dell Reinstallation CDs will have SP3 integrated into them, saving you the time and hassle of downloading and installing SP2 and then SP3.

Before you do the clean installation, navigate to support.dell.com and enter your computer's service tag to be taken to the drivers page for your exact computer.  Download the driver for your network adapter and save to external media.  That way, if the network adapter is not recognized by the XP on the fresh instalaltion, you'll still have the driver so you can get back to the drivers page to download the rest of them for your computer.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:46 PM
  • Thank you for the response Dan.  I have already been in contact with Dell and since my Lattitude came with Windows 2000, they suggest I go buy a new copy of XP and go from there.  But, as my luck would have it, I turned the computer back on and the hdd made that wonderful grinding sound I'm so fond of, so it's a lost cause in any event.  I have already decided to purchase a new comp for myself, and one for my wife just got added to the list. 

-Tolley
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:05 PM
  • CTolley,

Sorry for the bad luck, but Hey it's a great excuse to buy new computers! :-)

Enjoy them!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:26 PM
  • That I will Dan!  It'll be my first computer that I don't have to repair before I get to use it.  One of the bonuses to buying new I suppose.  Hand-me-downs are great for the price, but all of the issues get old.  You would think I'd be a computer genius like you guys by now...  :D 

Do you have any suggestions for a computer that can be shipped to an APO?  I was liking the Toshiba's, but they don't do APO, and the only way to get what I wanted was a 'custom' build.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:34 PM
  • Hey C Tolley,

We can't make any actual recommendations for purchases unfortunately. Depending on where you are located overseas have you checked with your local AAFEES or NEX? You should have many manufacturer purchase options available there. Contact various Manufacturers asking them if they ship to APO's and FPO's. Please visit Computer Manufacturers' Contact Information located here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us&scid=gp%3B%5Bln%5D%3Boemphone&x=13&y=11 Here you will find various links for computer manufacturers. Please keep in mind links and numbers change and Microsoft isn't responsible for the changes :-). 

Next I recommend for you to visit your local APO/FPO postal clerk and ask them if there are any country specific restrictions in accordance with the Internation Mail Manuel (IMM) i.e. host country concerns while assigned there.

Take care C. Tolley :-),

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:10 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Hey Stephen,

Didn't realize you were actually Microsoft employees, I thought it was just a Microsoft community.  I understand your inability to promote one manufacturer over another.  Yeah, I've gone to AAFES, but I have a general despite to giving them my business.  Bad experiences in a time of need when all they had was winter socks in the middle of the summer (winter socks period for the area) and XS shirts and XXL undies.  I checked back once a week after I returned and they never replentished supplies.  It bothered me a little, and I have a knack for keeping chips on my shoulder.  Not the best personality trait, but it has it's evil twin of undying loyalty to those that do right.  :) 

Thank you for the postal tip, didn't even think of that.  And thank you for the link.  I might end up having to special order through AAFES.  They don't carry what I want, but I can't knock them for that.  It's a respectable selection for the limited space. 

-Tolley
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 10:26 PM
  • Tolley,

Take care and we are glad to help out.

Stephen
    Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:14 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:14 PM