Unable to Validate - another one RRS feed

• Question

• I have been working on my PC for a few years now and have never had any issues with validation.  Today I opened windows media player for the first time in a long time and was asked if I wanted to update to the new version.  Yeah, sure, I click OK and downloaded the new version.  Upon trying to open it it said I did not have a valid copy of windows, wot???

I have a coporate copy of windows which I am legally allowed to install and use on the home based PC as it is for work purposes.  Years go when I first obtained the software I received written confirmation that it was legal as I was working from home (as a precautionary measure for legal reasons).  I work for a government department.

Now I can't even get the old version of media player back so I can copy my downloaded songs off it to put back onto the MP3 player.  I have tried all the validation things listed in the first threads and got to a point where I was given some code I had to enter into a little box, this didn't even work.

Any suggestions to fix this problem would be appreciated.  Not sure if this is any help but when I ordered the SP2 CD and installed it there were no problems and it installed perfectly.

I can go into work tomorrow and asked for another set of discs and documentation that I am legally allowed to use it from the IT area but if I do that will this happen again????

I have run the checking tool and this is what I got.

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0723.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-WRKJB-YKRFQ-XVK98
    Windows Product Key Hash: p3JYo49I4HFumf8jBg8no8xdXJY=
    Windows Product ID: *****-***-*******-*****
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: ********-****-****-****-************
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.554.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3175-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: E:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>21294a8d-7125-4562-a304-bc4d4d62f685</UGUID><Version>1.5.0723.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XVK98</PKey><PID>55274-648-8637434-23781</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-448539723-1993962763-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Ipex I.T.G.</Manufacturer><Model>Sirius series</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>Ipex/ASUS Sirius  Series - BIOS Version 1002  19/10/2001</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20011019000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>2BE431E70184CE5E</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>AUS Eastern Standard Time(GMT+10:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>7F254C04C53A1B0</Val><Hash>6Px7jh7BEj2+mDjlQaBifoOQ85Y=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-2746484-17337</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 10:20 AM

Answers

• Cup Cake,

The Volume Licensing Product Key currently installed is Blocked.

May I suggest that you contact your IT support folks at work, report the issue, and if the arrangement they have with MS is still valid, I would expect them to issue you the current and of course valid Volume Licensing Product Key.

Also, please ask your support folks for instructions on how to replace the blocked PK with the valid one.  I would expect them to give you instructions that are essentially the same as what is in the first section of this MS KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874/en-us  Note that the Key Updater Utility often mentioned in this forum will NOT work to change one VLK to another VLK.

In the event that the agreement no longer is in force, you'll want to look on the computer for a Certificate of Authenticity to see what edition or version of Windows came with the computer.  It's very likely that the computer is still licensed to run that edition or version of Windows, and you would then need to use the media that came with the computer to put the licensed edition or verison of Windows back onto the computer.

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 6:20 PM

All replies

• Home Use Options for U.S. Government Employees: http://www.microsoft.com/Industry/Government/HomeUseOptions.mspx

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 4:13 PM
  • Cup Cake,

The Volume Licensing Product Key currently installed is Blocked.

May I suggest that you contact your IT support folks at work, report the issue, and if the arrangement they have with MS is still valid, I would expect them to issue you the current and of course valid Volume Licensing Product Key.

Also, please ask your support folks for instructions on how to replace the blocked PK with the valid one.  I would expect them to give you instructions that are essentially the same as what is in the first section of this MS KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874/en-us  Note that the Key Updater Utility often mentioned in this forum will NOT work to change one VLK to another VLK.

In the event that the agreement no longer is in force, you'll want to look on the computer for a Certificate of Authenticity to see what edition or version of Windows came with the computer.  It's very likely that the computer is still licensed to run that edition or version of Windows, and you would then need to use the media that came with the computer to put the licensed edition or verison of Windows back onto the computer.

Tuesday, January 9, 2007 6:20 PM