Active directory Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have created two virtual servers on my Hardrive using Oracle Vbox. One is Full Installation the other is Server Core Installation. I am using the Exam book 70-640 second edition. On pg 29 Exercise 2 Step 6, I am trying to join to my contoso domain. No luck. When I ping the server I get nothing. Loop back successful so I know I am seeing the Nic. I am running these machines on my Acer laptop with Windows 10 Home. Currently trying to ugrade to Windows 10 Pro. However that is not my issue. I have confirmed the IP addresses and they are correct.

On my full installation I ran the troubleshooter on my network and it replied that the DHCP service needed to be enabled I let it fix the issue and success. I could see my gateway finally but it reset all my IP's to auto obtain, so that doesn't help.

One other student in my class had the same issue with his and he was using VMware. His solution he changed the names of his server. After he flushed his DNS, but didn't confirm if it was the flush that cleared the fault or name change I cant see changing names to be the issue.

My instructor is puzzled as well, can anyone help?

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 2:07 PM

Answers

• The issue was that I could not join the Domain or ping the DNS. I changed my adapter settings in oracle vbox from NAT to internal network. That cleared up the ping issue. When I would go to join the domain following the steps in the book as previously mentioned I would get a logon failure with bad username and password. I was always certain that I needed a admin account and password to join but was told no. So I went to technet and found that yes I did need the password.

The command line in the book states: netdom join %computername% /domain:contoso.com  on technet the same command has additional instructions after contoso.com it shows "/userd:Administrator /passwordd:*" which prompts for password of admin acct on contoso.com domain. Once I entered the full command then prompted for password entered it and success!

My instructor stated that I didn't need the username pwd to join, hence my confusion. But maybe this is just a misprint in the book. I don't know. As I continue to work my way through the book I am finding more errors.

Friday, October 2, 2015 2:07 PM

All replies

• I had a similar issue during a training course in which a member server could not see the domain controller. They were running under Hyper-V. I verified that the virtual network was correctly created and that the network adapters on both virtual machines were connected to the virtual network. Ipconfig showed that both machines were using APIPA addresses; I changed the IPv4 configuration to use fixed addresses and I set the DNS configuration in the member server to the address of the DC. This fixed the problem; the member server could finally use the DC.
    • Proposed as answer by Mustafa ToromanMVP Friday, October 2, 2015 7:29 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by miketait43 Friday, October 2, 2015 1:53 PM
    Thursday, October 1, 2015 4:42 PM
  • The issue was that I could not join the Domain or ping the DNS. I changed my adapter settings in oracle vbox from NAT to internal network. That cleared up the ping issue. When I would go to join the domain following the steps in the book as previously mentioned I would get a logon failure with bad username and password. I was always certain that I needed a admin account and password to join but was told no. So I went to technet and found that yes I did need the password.

The command line in the book states: netdom join %computername% /domain:contoso.com  on technet the same command has additional instructions after contoso.com it shows "/userd:Administrator /passwordd:*" which prompts for password of admin acct on contoso.com domain. Once I entered the full command then prompted for password entered it and success!

My instructor stated that I didn't need the username pwd to join, hence my confusion. But maybe this is just a misprint in the book. I don't know. As I continue to work my way through the book I am finding more errors.

Friday, October 2, 2015 2:07 PM