Upgrading hardware on OEM? RRS feed

• Question

• So I bought a packard bell machine a few years ago and It's on a Windows SP-2 OEM. I've still got the OEM code, since it's stuck on a sticker on my case.

The motherboard in the system is on it's last legs and is starting to overheat, shutdown and restart at random times. Obviously because of this I'm going to upgrade it.

Problem is when I upgrade I'm going to have to change the RAM modules, processer and PSU.

My question is, if I upgrade these but still keep my existing HDD, case, optical drives and GPU what would I need to do with my OEM?

I've heard that I need to activate it again via ringing up MSoft support and getting a new activation code of some sort or something the first time I boot up. Or will I need to purchase a new XP SP-2, format the HDD before changing hardware and install?

Answer will be very much appreciated.

EDIT: Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum or anything, it's a little confusing since there are so many sections.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Please read the following:

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:50 PM
  • According to the article I can't use this HDD with this XP right? Just checking I read it correctly.

So I will need to purchase a copy of windows XP when I upgrade my motherboard?
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:58 PM