Problems w/ WLOC 2.0 & Vista (x64) RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello All,

WLOC keeps polling an error in Problem Reports & Solutions in Vista... 6x w/ the same error in the last 30min.  I've looked everywhere on the Internet and cannot find the reason.

I've uninstalled WLOC and used the WLOC Cleanup tool, re-installed it, and the issue persists.  Otherwise, the program runs fine....but this error has me a little concerned.

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

JuanG

Product

Windows Live OneCare

Problem

Generic error from WinSS

Date

12/23/2007 9:26 PM

Status

Report Sent

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: A1Wifi

Problem Signature 01: 2.0.2500.14

Problem Signature 02: GtccFailure

Problem Signature 03: 0x80020005

Problem Signature 04: -

Problem Signature 05: -

Problem Signature 06: -

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem

LCID: 1033

Bucket ID: 134249562

Monday, December 24, 2007 5:58 AM

Answers

• Have a look at this thread, Juan - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523170&SiteID=2

If Winss is not crashing, then it looks like the error may be related to a failure to execute a command. Based on the Event Name, it looks like it is the module that wants to check your wireless security.

If you could follow the instructions in the post linked above, sending in your support logs, that may help the OneCare team identify the cause. In addition, if you contact support, they may be able to escalate this, too.

-steve

Monday, December 24, 2007 3:48 PM
  • Since you're running Vista, type onecaresupport.exe in the search box when you click on the Start "orb" and then right click the file that shows up in the search results and select run as administrator.

If OneCare is otherwise running fine, I'd let the errors get sent to Microsoft from Problem Reports and Solutions as the errors will be evaluated by the Vista team and will probably also be reported to the OneCare team, since it originates with OneCare.

-steve

Monday, December 24, 2007 5:10 PM

All replies

• Have a look at this thread, Juan - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2523170&SiteID=2

If Winss is not crashing, then it looks like the error may be related to a failure to execute a command. Based on the Event Name, it looks like it is the module that wants to check your wireless security.

If you could follow the instructions in the post linked above, sending in your support logs, that may help the OneCare team identify the cause. In addition, if you contact support, they may be able to escalate this, too.

-steve

Monday, December 24, 2007 3:48 PM
  • Good Morning Steve, Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the link... Unfortunately, I am not able to create the support log w/ the afformentioned c:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\OneCareSupport.exe --it simply does not exist.

The only thing I have in that folder is "AntiVirus"

I've already uninstalled/re-installed WLOC and thus far it tentetively works fine, but I keep getting this error in the PR&S app.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

JuanG

Monday, December 24, 2007 4:57 PM
  • Since you're running Vista, type onecaresupport.exe in the search box when you click on the Start "orb" and then right click the file that shows up in the search results and select run as administrator.

If OneCare is otherwise running fine, I'd let the errors get sent to Microsoft from Problem Reports and Solutions as the errors will be evaluated by the Vista team and will probably also be reported to the OneCare team, since it originates with OneCare.

-steve

Monday, December 24, 2007 5:10 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I'm still not finding onecaresupport.exe....either by search or thru the Start search...it simply doesn't exist anywhere on my machine. 

Yeah it seems to run just fine... I can't say why that error keeps coming up but I will do as you suggest.

I installed WLOC on my wife's Macbook (ala. VMWare and Vista Home Basic 32-bit) this morning....it had the program "onecaresupport.exe" and does not poll the A1Wifi error or any other error in PR&S.  I'm guessing the error I am having is in relation to running x64 Vista.

Thanks again for all your help, Steve.

Monday, December 24, 2007 5:49 PM
  • Ah! Duh.... It would appear that OneCareSupport.exe has not yet been updated to work with Vista x64. Sorry I didn't think of that. I'll see if I can find out more about that after the holidays, as the FAQ for how to create the support log obviously needs to mention this little fact. And I guess I need to get myself a machine for running Vista x64 on. :-)

I guess contacting support is the way to go and perhaps this thread will be seen by the Program Manager responsible for this feature.

-steve

Monday, December 24, 2007 11:06 PM
  • Cheers Steve....  btw, I've since contacted Support and twice now they have asked me for the OneCareSupport log, so for a min there I was thinking I was going crazy...

Vista x64 runs nice....can't say I notice much difference as compared to the x86 version, though.  Thus far, it has been very reliable.  If you're looking to get a Vista x64 machine, mine is an HP DV6500t and it's got a gorgeous screen....a bit of an upgrade from my previous Pavilion.

Anyway, I've got PR&S set to automatically submit problems to Microsoft... I'm up to 39 now w/ a new one...

Product

Windows OneCare

Problem

Generic error from WinSS

Date

12/24/2007 8:09 AM

Status

Report Sent

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: A1UIError

Problem Signature 01: 2.0.2500.14

Problem Signature 02: ObjectDisposedException

Problem Signature 03: 0

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem

LCID: 1033

Bucket ID: 132675932

Monday, December 24, 2007 11:45 PM
  • So, apparently support doesn't realize that OneCareSupport.exe isn't on x64, either....

My next machine should be a desktop and I'm not sure I want to go with x64 for day to day production usage yet, but I may end up doing that. I picked up an HP dv2500 series for day to day laptop use after my Acer laptop lost its second hard drive in under a year - small and light and cheap was a consideration for me with that purchase. We'll see what the New Year brings. :-)

-steve

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 12:48 AM
  • Thanks for reporting the error.

Can I ask you what is the manufacturer and model of your home network router?

And are you using it via wireless from the 64bit PC?

Thanks,

Oded

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 10:12 PM
  • Hello Oded,

Here is my setup...

• Linksys WRT54G v6 w/ Firmware v1.02.2 (Latest)
    • HP Pavilion dv6500t CTO w/ Vista x64 / 2GB RAM / 250GB HDD / Intel 4965AGN
    • I am using it via WiFi

My g/f uses a white Macbook w/ Vista Home Basic 32-bit & WLOC 2.0--it does not exibit this error on this same router.

• White Macbook Intel 2.16 Core 2 Duo / 2GB RAM / 802.11n

I hope that helps..

JuanG

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:30 AM
  • Thank you for the detailed info.

I will report back as soon I have any findings.

Oded

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:14 AM
  • Since we have no log file collector for 64bit, I would like to ask you to collect some logs manually and send them over to wloc@live.com. (Mention they are for Oded)

1) Start off by pasting the lines below into a text file, later rename the file to a reg extension

2) Run the reg file and accept the prompt

3) Let the system run and collect logs for 24h

4) 24h later collect all *.log files under %temp% (paste %temp% into a run prompt and click enter to reach the folder)

5) Compress and send them over to wloc@live.com addressed to me.

The registry keys to be added:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GTek\GTUpdate\OneCareLog]

"SHOW_FULL_DATA="=dword:00000001

"Errors_Only="=dword:00000000

"Errors_Only=UIEngine*"=dword:00000000

"Append=gdql_oc*"=dword:00000001

"Append=qdiagoc_*"=dword:00000001

"Append=gnetdev*"=dword:00000001

"Append=gnd_*"=dword:00000001

"Append=ocbrowse*"=dword:00000001

"Append=UIEngine*"=dword:00000001

"MAX_SIZE="=dword:00001000

"MAX_SIZE=gdql_oc*"=dword:00001000

"MAX_SIZE=qdiagoc_*"=dword:00001000

"MAX_SIZE=gnetdev*"=dword:00001000

"MAX_SIZE=gnd_*"=dword:00001000

"MAX_SIZE=ocbrowse*"=dword:00001000

"MAX_SIZE=UIEngine*"=dword:00001000

Thank you for helping out.

Oded

Thursday, December 27, 2007 7:39 AM
  • Hello Oded,

Thank you for your follow-up.  I'm afraid that this really isn't my job, nor am I paid to do it so I'm going to have to step back and let the team at MS try to fix it.

In my case, after the PR&S log got to 200+ entries from WLOC, I uninstalled it and went to AVGfree for the interim.

Thanks again for your help.  If these errors get fixed anytime soon, I'd like to go back to using WLOC.

Cheers..

JuanG

Thursday, December 27, 2007 5:33 PM