The record cannot be deleted because it is associated with another record - CRM 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to find which related entity is throwing the error.

I have checked all my relationships (99%) and there are no related records.

I have checked the traced logs and coudnt find the name of the related entity that is causing the issue.

Is there a way to find out the related entity name from this generic message

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can open record and check related entity assosiated views to find any related record or if related entity assoisated view is not visible then you have check 1:N relationships from entity cusotmizations and make sure to delete all related records.

Jehanzeb Javeed

http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    • Marked as answer by Shiju H Monday, August 29, 2011 8:08 PM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:09 PM
  • Some records (N:1) got associated with the wrong parent record (because of a previous bug in my filtered lookup).

If you know the records that are causing a problem, you can parent them with a record that you don't want to delete.  You could also change the cascading relationship from restrict delete to remove the link and see if that works.  Otherwise, just deactivate and move on :) 

Regards, Donna

• Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, August 29, 2011 4:59 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 4:43 PM

All replies

• A CRM Platform trace using the Diag tool will deffinetly tell you the root cause

http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com/2011/04/new-tool-crmdiagtool-2011.html

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Hi,

You can open record and check related entity assosiated views to find any related record or if related entity assoisated view is not visible then you have check 1:N relationships from entity cusotmizations and make sure to delete all related records.

Jehanzeb Javeed

http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:09 PM
  • Diagtool didnt help.

Javeed - I have been looking for a way to find the associated entity without going through all the relationsships.

I have a bunch of restrict deletes.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:13 PM
  • I first suspect a closed activity so go through all the related closed activities.  Is there a reason why deactivation is not a viable option?

Regards, Donna

Saturday, August 27, 2011 7:25 PM
  • Also make sure that no workflow is working on that record.
    Mohit Agrawal
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Deactivation is an option, but these are some of the records I know for sure don't need to be activated in future.

I have been looking for something that exactly shows the dependencies(in trace logs or like the dependency list when you try to delete customizations in 2011)

Infact I have figured out the records causing the issue by displaying (Display Option) all the relationships in the associated view.

Some records (N:1) got associated with the wrong parent record (because of a previous bug in my filtered lookup).

Monday, August 29, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Some records (N:1) got associated with the wrong parent record (because of a previous bug in my filtered lookup).

If you know the records that are causing a problem, you can parent them with a record that you don't want to delete.  You could also change the cascading relationship from restrict delete to remove the link and see if that works.  Otherwise, just deactivate and move on :) 

Regards, Donna

• Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, August 29, 2011 4:59 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 4:43 PM