can window server 2008 r2 and windows home server co-exist on one server RRS feed

• Question

• I am planning to add more space to my home server. But my question is can I use window server 08 r2 on the new harddrive or a different operating system?

has anyone experience this by having 2 different operating system on seperate hard drives.

Any tutorial on it. Thanks

Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:46 AM

Answers

• Again, virtualization is probably the way to go. Since you're using Server 2008 in the mix, I presume you have access to HyperV; that's what I would look at first in terms of virtualization tools.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Giss68 Friday, December 3, 2010 1:40 PM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 2:09 PM

All replies

• Dual booting would not be a good idea.

My suggestion would be to use HyperV to virtualize. Virtualization of Windows Home Server isn't technically supported, but a lot of people have had good success doing so in various ways anyway.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Oh Ok I wanted both harddrive online at the same time

The homeserver is used for dtreaming and the media are saved on a database on winSvR2

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Again, virtualization is probably the way to go. Since you're using Server 2008 in the mix, I presume you have access to HyperV; that's what I would look at first in terms of virtualization tools.
    • Marked as answer by Giss68 Friday, December 3, 2010 1:40 PM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 2:09 PM