Can't find data in Project Server Reporting DB after publishing the project successfully. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Sometimes, I have a project plan in PWA. When I edit this project from professional like , I modify some data in it and save. After the click the button save, I see the status indicates Save project successfully. Then I click publish button, after processing, I see publish job complete successfully too. So I check in this project. Now I can see the data in PWA well, it is accurate as I modified. Here is my problem, when I try to query the tasks of this project from the Project Server Reporting DB, I get nothing. I don't know why.

So is there anyone know this? I thought maybe there is a problem between my project professional with PWA. But after edit the project in Project Web App and finished the save&publish job successfully, the issue still exists. So maybe the data hasn't been added into the ReportingDB? But I'm always successful to query the data before.

In order to solve the issue temporarily, I have to save as a local project file first, then delete the project in PWA. At last, re-publish the local project to PWA. After these steps, the data can be found in Reporting DB. While, the previous BI report must have to redo. It's very disgusting.

Tell me what can I do.

Thanks.

Feel free to contact me from Skype name: abcdedandan

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:36 AM

Answers

• Vicky,

Have you ever cleaned up your MSP-cache? The Cache sometimes get messed-up, so cleaning from time to time is a good idea. Especialy when switching a lot between service apps as you have with development/test/production environments.

The normal way to do the cleaning is via Project Options: in the save section you'll find the "Clean Up Cache..." window" (it should be intuitive)

But that is not the way I clear the MSP cache when I am loosing confidence ;)

• Save all open project files an close MSP (You can publish if you want)
    • Go to the Cache section in Project Options
    • Copy the Path in the Cache location field
    • Paste this path in the windows explorer
    • Delete the content of the folder (there is a sub-folder per Service application, but in most cases I delete them all)

Regards
    Wim 

Regards Wim
    Monday, January 16, 2012 4:53 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

Please verify "reporting synch job"  of the project from the manage queue of PWA server settings. Once project is published successfully, queue triggers the reporting synch job & updates the reporting database.

Please provide the error from Manage queue jobs or from ULS.

Thanks, Amit Khare |EPM Consultant| Blog: http://amitkhare82.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/amitkhare82
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 5:11 AM
  • Hi there,

That's why I say it is weird! Everything seems fine including the 'reporting synch job'. But sometimes, it's no data in the Reporting DB!

I don't know why, and I only have the phenomenon but no the error info.

Could you give me some other advice?

Thanks.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:39 AM
  • Hi,

there was this issue with 2007 where the reporting db couldnt match the published db, and for this you need to apply the latest patch and rebuild your reporting database. which patch level you are at now?

1. which version of Project Server are you using? 2007?

2. also verify if the data is updated in published database?

if both the above points are true for you, you can follow this link to rebuild your reporting db after applying the latest patch to your server:

http://msfarmer.blogspot.com/2008/12/rebuild-project-server-reporting.html

you can find the Dec 2011 CU for project server 2007 from here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectadministration/archive/2011/12/14/microsoft-project-server-and-sharepoint-server-2007-and-2010-december-2011-cu-announcement.aspx

and SP3 for Project server 2007 from here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectadministration/archive/2011/10/28/project-server-2007-service-pack-3-and-the-october-2011-cu-announced.aspx

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 5:15 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your answer. However, I use Microsoft Project Professional 2010 plus but not 2007.

Also I remember that I have installed the service pack 1 for Project Professional 2010. So according to this situation, what do you think the problem occurs?

I notice that you mentioned that 'rebuild your reporting database' , what do you mean by that? How can I rebuild the database, it is will lead to the data lost or not?

Actually, I am sorry I haven't occurred the issue, so I cannot prove whether publish DB has the data or not. So what else advice you can give?

Your kind assistance on this are very much appreciated!

Thanks.

• Edited by Vicky.Z Thursday, January 5, 2012 5:26 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 5:24 AM
  • Vicky,

Have you ever cleaned up your MSP-cache? The Cache sometimes get messed-up, so cleaning from time to time is a good idea. Especialy when switching a lot between service apps as you have with development/test/production environments.

The normal way to do the cleaning is via Project Options: in the save section you'll find the "Clean Up Cache..." window" (it should be intuitive)

But that is not the way I clear the MSP cache when I am loosing confidence ;)

• Save all open project files an close MSP (You can publish if you want)
    • Go to the Cache section in Project Options
    • Copy the Path in the Cache location field
    • Paste this path in the windows explorer
    • Delete the content of the folder (there is a sub-folder per Service application, but in most cases I delete them all)

Regards
    Wim 

Regards Wim
    Monday, January 16, 2012 4:53 PM
  • Wim,

....Have you ever cleaned up your MSP-cache?  Sorry to say my answer is NO!

I appreciate very much about your way to clear up the cache. You said in the save section, I can find the 'Clean Up Cache...' window, may be it is very intuitive but I still cannot position it.  Help me please....

• Edited by Vicky.Z Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:30 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:27 AM
  • Hi Vicky,

Navigate this way;

File> Options> Save > Clean Up Cache.

Hope this clears out.

Thanks, Kashif
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:48 AM
  •  

Vicky,

• Clikck on the Options menu (above Exit in your picture).

• Copy the path from the "Cache location" field
    • Close MSP
    • Paste it in a windows explorer window:

• Delete the folders with the cached files

Ready

Clearing the cache in the standard way (from within MSP) is not clean enough in case of cache corruption!

Regards
    Wim 

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:41 AM
  • Wim,

I got it. But I still have a quesiton, assuming now I have cleared up the cache as you said. Next time I open msp, can I still see and enable to open projects which are usually displayed in the 'Recent' Tab?

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:05 PM
  • If the reference in the recent list is still pointing to a correct location, it will open the file. If not MSP will warn you "Project cannote open the file"...

However, no data will be lost!

After clearing the cache, you will have to open your files via the OpenFile dialogbox and than click on the first line: "Retrieve the list of all projects from Project Server".

This way it is guaranteed that the version you open in PWA is in sync with the version of the server!

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:12 PM