Change excel xlsx file icon on desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to change the excel 2013 xlsx file icon (not the excel.exe program) on the desktop. I have several excel files on my desktop, and I don't like the graphic of them. 
    Monday, December 8, 2014 8:44 PM

Answers

• right click on file---> click on general Tab--->Open with option change it to Microsoft excel
    • Proposed as answer by harikrishanashinde Tuesday, December 16, 2014 7:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Wednesday, December 31, 2014 11:31 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:14 AM
  • Assuming you have a shortcut to start Excel you will see that the default created shortcut cannot change the icon. However that doesn't make it not possible. Create your own shortcut.

Right click on the desktop, create new shortcut, browse to the microsoft office folder via browse, look for Excel and click next. When done you will be able to change the icon of that shortcut. Right click and choose properties from that shortcut. You will have the option to choose from various 'Excel' like options. Don't like those icons? Choose browse and goto the Windows directory, choose the system32 directory and click the shell32.dll file. Click ok and you should see a lot of more icons to choose from.

Maurice

Did not read correctly. Right click icons and choose change icons and follow the steps. Should do the trick
    Monday, December 8, 2014 10:29 PM

All replies

• Assuming you have a shortcut to start Excel you will see that the default created shortcut cannot change the icon. However that doesn't make it not possible. Create your own shortcut.

Right click on the desktop, create new shortcut, browse to the microsoft office folder via browse, look for Excel and click next. When done you will be able to change the icon of that shortcut. Right click and choose properties from that shortcut. You will have the option to choose from various 'Excel' like options. Don't like those icons? Choose browse and goto the Windows directory, choose the system32 directory and click the shell32.dll file. Click ok and you should see a lot of more icons to choose from.

Maurice

Did not read correctly. Right click icons and choose change icons and follow the steps. Should do the trick
    Monday, December 8, 2014 10:29 PM
  • where right click icons? I don't see "change icon" when I right click sheet1.xlsx. 
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 11:46 PM
  • To change the icon of a shortcut, right-click and then choose Properties. On the Shortcut tab, click Change Icon. However, I'm not sure if it can be done with a file, which is what you want.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:06 AM
  • right click on file---> click on general Tab--->Open with option change it to Microsoft excel
    • Proposed as answer by harikrishanashinde Tuesday, December 16, 2014 7:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Wednesday, December 31, 2014 11:31 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:14 AM