Question on PC upgrades..... OEM Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a pc last year with window 7 OEM pre-installed, im looking at upgrading the motherboard, ram, cpu and possibly the PSU if its needed, Ive already upgraded the gfx card.

My question is, Will I be able to re install widnwos 7 even though i have an OEM license and technically its the same computer? (just new parks inside ;D)

Friday, November 12, 2010 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hello Revant-uk,

For licensing purposes, when you change the motherboard for performance reasons you create a new computer and therefore require a new license, as the computer to which the existing license is tied no longer exists.  In effect, upon installation the Windows OEM license and the motherboard are permanently married.

If it became necessary to replace the motherboard because it went defective, then there is no need for a new license as long as the defective motherboard is replaced with an equivalent.  The computer manufacturer decides what motherboard is considered an equivalent replacement.

From what you wrote, it sounds like your situation is the former and not the latter.  New license required.  Old license is still good, just permanently married to the motherboard that was removed.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, November 12, 2010 8:24 PM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hello Revant-uk,

For licensing purposes, when you change the motherboard for performance reasons you create a new computer and therefore require a new license, as the computer to which the existing license is tied no longer exists.  In effect, upon installation the Windows OEM license and the motherboard are permanently married.

If it became necessary to replace the motherboard because it went defective, then there is no need for a new license as long as the defective motherboard is replaced with an equivalent.  The computer manufacturer decides what motherboard is considered an equivalent replacement.

From what you wrote, it sounds like your situation is the former and not the latter.  New license required.  Old license is still good, just permanently married to the motherboard that was removed.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, November 12, 2010 8:24 PM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 5:40 PM
  • I bought a pc last year with window 7 OEM pre-installed, im looking at upgrading the motherboard, ram, cpu and possibly the PSU if its needed, Ive already upgraded the gfx card.

My question is, Will I be able to re install widnwos 7 even though i have an OEM license and technically its the same computer? (just new parks inside ;D)

Generally the OEM is limited to the original motherboard in the computer.  A replacement motherboard may be authorized if it is a replacement for a defective one and can't be replaced with a like one.  Any other part can be replaced and there are some countries that allow even the replacement of the motherboard without issue (the US isn't one of them.)
    Friday, November 12, 2010 6:17 PM