Home Server Shuts Off after Power Pack 3 Install RRS feed

• Question

• I followed the instructions here to install the power pack 3 update on my HP Home Server ex470.
    http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowshomeserver/archive/2009/11/24/power-pack-3-instructions-for-users-running-pre-release-versions.aspx

I didn't have any pre-release versions installed so I just did the update now from the settings menu. Everything seemed to go fine and I clicked the restart now to complete the installation. I also installed the DNS services while I was running the windows update since I wanted another DNS server on my home network. That also worked fine.

I went to check to see what the status was and my home server was off. I turned it on and it booted up again, but shortly after all the lights went blue it turned off again. I've tried a few more times and I can actually remote desktop into the machine but it turns off after about 30 seconds so I really don't have time to try to figure out what is going on.

I have installed the processor and memory upgrades, but that was a long time ago and I haven't had any problems with heat for a long time (I fixed my heat problems with the MS Fan control add-in).

Any ideas? Could the power pack 3 be preventing the add-ins from loading? Since it shuts off at the same time each time could something else be causing it to shut down? What should I do to fix this?

I'm thinking that I'll probably put in the old CPU to see if that will allow me to boot up and stay running so that I can see if something else is going on.

Thanks for any other ideas.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:14 PM

All replies

• Sounds like a hardware failure - I don't know of anything in PP3 which would cause this
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:08 PM
  • I left the server off for a couple hours and then started it again. I was able to get into the home server console and the CPU temp has stayed at around 40-42 degrees C. So far it hasn't restarted, but I haven't tried remote desktoping into it.

There is a ton of disk activity going on, maybe PP3 causes a bunch of updates to happen? No backups going on right now, just lots of disk IO.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Since the console is also a remote desktop session, I'd say whatever happened has resolved itself. Check the event logs for information...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:28 PM
  • It just shut down again. Arggg!

Event logs just said unexpected shut down. I'm guessing it is a heat issue due to all the increased activity from the power pack update.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:46 PM
  • After applying PP3 the three servers I upgraded rebooted twice.
    Other than that I have not seen any strange issues.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Well I ended up tearing down the system and re-applying the thermal grease (I had purchased the arctic silver grease but hadn't used it). That dropped the temperature down 3-4 degrees which kept the temp down below 40 degress C.

It has since been running strong and the temperature after it was done with all the disk activity is now 32 degrees C instead of 38 degrees C.

So I'm guessing that the PP3 runs some processes after the install that take a fair amount of CPU and disk activity. So if your server is already on the edge of the temperature limit this will send it over the limit.

A simple workaround would probably be to turn the fans to 100% (using MSS Fan Control) before applying the PP3 and then leave it on for a few hours after the install is done.

Thanks for the replies!
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:38 PM
  • Well I ended up tearing down the system and re-applying the thermal grease (I had purchased the arctic silver grease but hadn't used it). That dropped the temperature down 3-4 degrees which kept the temp down below 40 degress C.

It has since been running strong and the temperature after it was done with all the disk activity is now 32 degrees C instead of 38 degrees C.

So I'm guessing that the PP3 runs some processes after the install that take a fair amount of CPU and disk activity. So if your server is already on the edge of the temperature limit this will send it over the limit.

A simple workaround would probably be to turn the fans to 100% (using MSS Fan Control) before applying the PP3 and then leave it on for a few hours after the install is done.

Thanks for the replies!
    Windows Search 4.0 is part of the PP3 install.  Once it's installed, it re-indexes every file on your server.  That's probably what was putting your system "over the edge".
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:09 PM
  • I had those "unexpected shutdown" errors too on my home built WHS.
    I thought it might be heat, but using SPEEDFAN I saw some strange values on the voltages and upgraded the power supply from a 300W to 500 W and have not seen a hit in a month now.

300W and 4 hard drives was a bit silly anyway, dont know WHAT I was thinking :)
    Friday, December 4, 2009 7:51 PM
    300W and 4 hard drives was a bit silly anyway, dont know WHAT I was thinking :)

Speaking from personal experience here, I'll propose: "Hey, I've already spent more than I can justify on this thing, so I'll just use this (crappy) power supply I got for $10 and never used..."
    Friday, December 4, 2009 9:13 PM
  •  OMG, Ken - you are a mindreader too!
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 12:19 AM
  •  OMG, Ken - you are a mindreader too!
    In addition to which, Chuck Norris trembles in fear when I walk by... :)

Saturday, December 5, 2009 3:42 PM