Restore - How long should the CD-boot restore take for < 100GB? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the restore disc to restore an XP laptop, over a 100Mbps network, that has less than 100GB on the drive.

So far the restore has been running for over 20 hours, is less than 25% complete(based on the length of the progress bar), and is saying there is still 4 days and 10 minutes left.

I am using the restore CD that came with WHS, and am nearly at the point where it might be faster to simply reinstall everything myself and just mount the backup to pull off data files.

I am running pp3 beta.

thanks!

Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:35 PM

Answers

• I am using the restore disc to restore an XP laptop, over a 100Mbps network, that has less than 100GB on the drive.

So far the restore has been running for over 20 hours, is less than 25% complete(based on the length of the progress bar), and is saying there is still 4 days and 10 minutes left.

I am using the restore CD that came with WHS, and am nearly at the point where it might be faster to simply reinstall everything myself and just mount the backup to pull off data files.

I am running pp3 beta.

thanks!

The best case for a 100Mbps connection is 45 GB per hour and a more realistic amount would be around 30-35 GB per hour.  In either case, you are way off the mark.  First, what happened that made you need to restore your client in the first place?  Did you try downloading and burning the latest restore CD?  Did you try uninstalling PP3 beta from your server?  Did you copy the drivers for that client from your server to a USB drive, then use those drivers during the restore process?
    • Marked as answer by TD2779 Sunday, November 1, 2009 10:46 PM
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response!

The laptop was shutdown in the middle of a windows update, after which it refused to launch windows successfully.  I tried a repair, which also failed.

I have not tried the new CD yet as I didn't want to cancel the process after 20 hours if this was "normal."  I suppose I will do that and perhaps uninstall the beta as well. 

I'm afraid I don't understand the last part.  What drivers are we talking about?  The restore disc seemed to recognize the laptops network adapter and hard disk properly.
    The drivers on the CD could be out of date (although they should still work, it doesn't hurt to try different drivers, especially ones that are known to work).  Plus, there is an issue with RealTek NIC drivers.  If you have a RealTek NIC, you should probably check the FAQ post:  How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Final update:

The restore consistently looked like it would take 15 hours, but unfortunately it failed with less than 5 hours left!  Coincidentally or not, according to the WHS event log, the restore failed only 3 seconds after another event, "Cleanup of the backup database has begun" fired.

As a last-ditch option, I decided to risk $50 on a (laptop)PATA - USB adapter.(only 1 BB in my area had one).  I used it along with ClientRestoreWizard.exe from another PC & it worked first try in less than 3 hours!
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 10:46 PM

All replies

I am running pp3 beta.

thanks!

The best case for a 100Mbps connection is 45 GB per hour and a more realistic amount would be around 30-35 GB per hour.  In either case, you are way off the mark.  First, what happened that made you need to restore your client in the first place?  Did you try downloading and burning the latest restore CD?  Did you try uninstalling PP3 beta from your server?  Did you copy the drivers for that client from your server to a USB drive, then use those drivers during the restore process?
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:57 PM

The laptop was shutdown in the middle of a windows update, after which it refused to launch windows successfully.  I tried a repair, which also failed.

I have not tried the new CD yet as I didn't want to cancel the process after 20 hours if this was "normal."  I suppose I will do that and perhaps uninstall the beta as well. 

I'm afraid I don't understand the last part.  What drivers are we talking about?  The restore disc seemed to recognize the laptops network adapter and hard disk properly.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:02 PM

The drivers on the CD could be out of date (although they should still work, it doesn't hurt to try different drivers, especially ones that are known to work).  Plus, there is an issue with RealTek NIC drivers.  If you have a RealTek NIC, you should probably check the FAQ post:  How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:49 PM
  • So far the only change I made is using the newer Restore CD and choosing "more than 512MB".  After somewhere less than 2 hours the progress bar is already nearing 15% done(rough estimate) and it's telling me 15 hours instead of days.  I'll update this thread later for posterity.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 6:19 PM
  • Final update:

The restore consistently looked like it would take 15 hours, but unfortunately it failed with less than 5 hours left!  Coincidentally or not, according to the WHS event log, the restore failed only 3 seconds after another event, "Cleanup of the backup database has begun" fired.

As a last-ditch option, I decided to risk $50 on a (laptop)PATA - USB adapter.(only 1 BB in my area had one).  I used it along with ClientRestoreWizard.exe from another PC & it worked first try in less than 3 hours!
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 10:46 PM