none
Experiences with ASUS WebStorage Service for WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got about 750GB of data on my WHS that I'd like to backup to an online service.  Every time I look into this, I find it far too expensive ($10s of dollars a month for an S3 based solution like Cloudberry).

I just came across the ASUS WebStorage service which seems like a bargain - unlimited storage for $39.99 per year.

http://www.asuswebstorage.com/tutorial/quickstart/?pg=7

Does anyone have any experience with it?  Anything positive or negative to say?  I've found limited reviews and it's rarely mentioned by anyone talking about online backup solutions.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:30 PM

All replies

• Think about how long restoring a significant amount of data will take, based on your internet connection. That's the big downside. Assuming a 15 Mb/s connection (i.e. cable modem speeds), 100 GB will take something like 18 hours to restore, which sounds okay, but a TB will take around 180 hours, which is over a week.

I deal with the question of backing up my servers the easy way: I throw money at the problem. I have multiple external HDDs which I rotate off-site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:32 AM
  • And backing up that amount of data or any significant changes would take even longer, since the most Internet service providers capped the upload speed in comparision to the download speed. Also in many cases the connection is disconnected each 24 hours, so depending on the software (which I don't know) you may have to resume uploads and downloads manually. And is this really a reliable storage?

Todays Internet is still not ready for storing this amount of data.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:01 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Ken.  I've already made the tradeoff decision between an HDD based solution and online.  I already do the HDD solution but I'm not disciplined enough to remember to run the backup every week and make sure the HDD are off site.  We're talking about major disaster recovery here - theft, fire - so I don't anticipate ever having to do a complete restore and if I do, I'll presumably have plenty of other things to worry about like rebuilding my house!
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:03 AM
  • I deal with the question of backing up my servers the easy way: I throw money at the problem.
    Spoken like a true IT pro.  :)
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:04 AM
  • There' several companies that work in such away that you don't have to send GB's of info over a cable, dsl or satellite. They have you do the primary backup (the first one) completely using CD, DVD or even tape. You then send this media to them and from that time on it is only a small incremental backup which can be once, twice or even 3 times daily, which ever way you decide. Then if something really catastrophic happens you can get the FULL backup sent overnite to you. Personally I do Tape and Hard Drives and rotate everything out.
    jd
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:31 AM