Outlook 2010 Client 'More' menu blank RRS feed

• Question

• I have an external client that I'm trying to make the sync client.

He has Outlook 2010 running on Win7 with admin priviledges and I've just done a fresh install of CRM Client with UR 10 slipstreamed, then updated to UR 14. 

What is happening is in Outlook 2010, on the ribbon menu in the CRM section, when I click 'More' to get the menu, it comes up as a small blank square. 

I've uninstalled and re-installed the client to no avail. I've also tried going through the web interface, however the sync client check box is greyed out :(

I've run out of ideas 

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:35 AM

Answers

• Ok, The problem is solved ! :)

The problem was an incompatibility with the CRM server and Office 2010. The CRM server turned out o have UR13 on it, which has this problem with Office 2010. It has been fixed in UR14. 

So I updated the server to UR15 (UR14 is included in UR15) and updated the client to UR15 as well and the More menu is working now :D

Thank you very much for all your help, it is very much appreciated.

~ Rob

• Marked as answer by Rob1983 Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:59 AM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you run the Configuration Wizard, haven't you? Start->All Programs->MS Dynamics CRM->Configuration Wizard.

Hope it helps,

PP

Microsoft MVP Dynamics CRM | My Twitter: http://twitter.com/pabloperalta | My blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/pabloperalta
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Im also having the same issue in office 2010, CRM online client, and have just recently installed HFRU15 and the problem still remains.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Hi Pablo,

Sorry for my late reply. 

I ran the Wizard and it just configures to connect with the CRM server. I did that again anyway, but didn't help. I've also updated to UR 15 now, nothing there either. 

Any other ideas?

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 2:28 AM
  • Hi,

Try to uninstall the client. Then make sure the registry keys are cleaned up at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSCRMClient

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM_Setup

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRMClient

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MSCRM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MSCRM_Setup

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MSCRMClient

Then reinstall, run Configuration Wizard again and see if the client works properly in Outlook. 

Hope it helps,

PP

Microsoft MVP Dynamics CRM | My Twitter: http://twitter.com/pabloperalta | My blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/pabloperalta
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 12:47 AM
  • I tried everything above and this still failed.

we had some windows 7 machines in the office that in fact had this menu visible, so I copied "Crmaddin.dll" from the win 7 machine to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\Client\bin (obviously same path on both machines)

When doing this, make sure outlook is not running, rename the older DLL above and then copy into the above directory

started up outlook, give it a few seconds to properly initialise and the menu is now back :)

if you dont have access to a Windows 7 machine, simply browse to the client\bin directory of the crm client Installation and copy it across to the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics CRM\Client\bin , the problem with this is it will stick it in the addon tab. (i got this from the CRM client install + rollup 10) where I think the newer rollups put the CRM addin's into the home Ribbon. the windows 7 Machine already had a higher rollup installed, so the above example went to the home ribbon, either way it still works

bit of a hack job, but it now works!

Quick update: I tried reinstalling Rollup 15 again, and it seems to have updated the DLL above causing the same issue. Hopefully this will be resolved in Rollup 16

Thursday, February 3, 2011 2:48 AM
  • Hi PP,

I've scheduled time to do this tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.

I'll also try replacing the crmaddin.dll file whilst I'm there.

As I've just realised I'm still signed in as my work's username. Sorry if there was any confusion, Rob1983 is me as well.... 

• Edited by PnP Helpdesk Monday, February 7, 2011 5:47 AM Just realised I was signed in as work's account still
    Monday, February 7, 2011 5:25 AM
  • Hi PP,

I uninstalled CRM and rebooted, checked the reg keys (none were there) and also deleted the crm install folder from program files.

Then I re-installed CRM with UR10 slipstreamed, then UR 14, configured outlook (using online service provider because he is overseas from the crm server) still the same problem.

The internet connection my customer has is VERY slow. Would t hat affect it at all?

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 1:43 AM
  • Rob,

Have you tried installing the basic setup for CRM client, then apply RU 7 and then RU 14 ?

That's the way I use to do that and worked fine. I wonder if the slip-streaming technic may be the cause.

Also, is there any way you can try this wih a better internet connection?

Hope it helps,

PP

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Hi PP,

I'll download the basic CRM client and UR 7/14 and give that a go. 

My customer says he updated his internet connection yesterday. I'm scheduled to try again tomorrow at lunch.

Thank you for your help so far :)

~ Rob

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:39 PM
  • Hi PP,

I removed CRM and restarted the computer. Checked all the additional stuff was gone as well.

Then installed vanilla CRM client and checked outlook. As one would expect, the was no add-in in the ribbon menu. Installed UR7 and checked again and as expected nothing in the ribbon menu. 

Then UR14, got the add-in in the ribbon menu, but the more menu is still blank.

Anything else I can try?

Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:32 AM
  • Hello Rob,

I cant remember the exact roll up, but I think rollup 12 integrated the CRM addon into the 'home' ribbon.

so the addon is mostly there, but you will have to click the "Add-ins" ribbon at the top

Im not sure if you saw my reply above? but I can confirm it works, so maybe its a worth a try if you have no luck and really need the more options menu back.. (assuming all other options fail at this point)

Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:36 AM
  • Hi awilliams,

Thank you for the info on which rollup put the ribbon menu in. I took it from 7 to 14 because I know 14 is meant to be good.

I tried copying the crmaddin.dll file across, but it had no effect :(

Additional info:

I decided to install the client on my desktop and connect to the same crm server as my customer. It has the same problem. If I connect it to my crm server the more menu appears.

Could it be a version conflict between the CRM server and the CRM client?

Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:05 AM
  • Really odd Rob :(.

Do you have the same RU in the server as well as in the client, don't you?

Have you tried client diagnostic tool?

thanks,

PP

Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Hi PP,

I have run the client diagnostic tool many times. Each time is has come back with no errors.

My next step is handing it over to MS as I've just found out my client has an active SA licence.

Will update when I have more.

Thank you very much for your help :)

Monday, February 14, 2011 2:22 AM
  • Ok, The problem is solved ! :)

The problem was an incompatibility with the CRM server and Office 2010. The CRM server turned out o have UR13 on it, which has this problem with Office 2010. It has been fixed in UR14. 

So I updated the server to UR15 (UR14 is included in UR15) and updated the client to UR15 as well and the More menu is working now :D

Thank you very much for all your help, it is very much appreciated.

~ Rob

• Marked as answer by Rob1983 Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:59 AM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:41 AM