Executing C:\windows\system32\WgALogon.dll - screen freezes upon logon to windows for 30+ seconds. RRS feed

• Question

• I would consider myself to be an advanced user, however that being said, I have a slight issue during Windows XP Professional Welcome/Login Screen.

The issue being it gets stuck for 30seconds or so whilst (Executing C:\windows\system32\WGALogon.dll).

I should probably say that it doesnt freeze but stays idle for that time until I can see the users (I have only 1 user and 1 network user which has never been activated).

I have my installation set to Verbose output so I can see everything.

I have so far tried to use CHKDSK, thats definitely not the issue, I have very few programs installed, no antivirus and no firewall.

I have even tried BootVis however that didnt affect anything.

The issue seems to be that whilst it says its executing, it doesnt seem to do anything(it gets stuck on executing) and the pc doesnt make any noise.

Is there a way I can fix this issue?

It takes me approximately 10seconds to boot into windows however the icons show up after 30seconds from the executing screen.

Also, I have Windows XP Service Pack 3 (and this is not the cause of the issue, it happened shortly after I had cleared CMOS i believe but the issue is unrelated).

Thank you in advance for any help,

-ghost

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0069.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-WGYJY-HHYDH-KKX9B
    Windows Product Key Hash: wxqOMJsR+LRtbxR3p9MmRqRwfUk=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-0427404-23754
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {82272C38-D9D3-4902-B2BC-77BC0CDACE0F}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2920-80070002_B4D0AA8B-531-645_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Disabled
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Disabled

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{82272C38-D9D3-4902-B2BC-77BC0CDACE0F}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0069.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-KKX9B</PKey><PID>55274-640-0427404-23754</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-343818398-492894223-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>0213    </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050822000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7AD6300F01842E67</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Thursday, March 6, 2008 10:36 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Hey I did some research on Google based on your title Executing C:\windows\system32\WgALogon.dll - screen freezes upon logon to windows for 30+ seconds and it appears you may have a virus. More than likely the best resolve @ this point is for you to perform a complete reformat. This is the best way for a complete perge of virsus. I use a cocktail of software for thwarting virsus. First I use Adaware, Super Anti-Spyware, and Avast Antivirus. Also I use Windows Defender which runs in the background. The other products are shareware and I they must be run in order to prevent problems. A good result is research Microsoft's Live One care which is a great suite of software and will help prevent problems.  Hope this helps you some. 

Thank you

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 2:17 AM

All replies

• I dont understand, not one person can help me with this issue?

Its simple actually, my pc freezes EVERYTIME i load into windows, everything works fine, it boots into windows, the pc takes like 1minute to load because its stuck at Executing: C:\windows\system32\wgalogon.dll

Cant you people help me with a solution to get rid of it or delete the dll's or reinstall them via some regsvr32.exe command.

Please help any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 3:15 AM
  • Hello,

Hey I did some research on Google based on your title Executing C:\windows\system32\WgALogon.dll - screen freezes upon logon to windows for 30+ seconds and it appears you may have a virus. More than likely the best resolve @ this point is for you to perform a complete reformat. This is the best way for a complete perge of virsus. I use a cocktail of software for thwarting virsus. First I use Adaware, Super Anti-Spyware, and Avast Antivirus. Also I use Windows Defender which runs in the background. The other products are shareware and I they must be run in order to prevent problems. A good result is research Microsoft's Live One care which is a great suite of software and will help prevent problems.  Hope this helps you some. 

Thank you

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 2:17 AM
  • Are you still experiencing a problem?
    You definitely don't have a virus, i have the same issue after i install internet explorer ver. 7, i uninstalled this and the problem went away instantly.
    I hope they smooth things out for explorer ver. 8, but that is the problem
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:42 PM
  • hello i just wondered if you ever solved this problem as i have exacley the same prob.
    thanks chris
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 11:58 AM
  • There is a fix for this issue called RemoveWGA
    While as Microsoft complained about this and it was removed from the original designers website, it is designed to help people with paid versions of their operating system
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/removewga_forbidden.htm
    yet if you google RemoveWGA, i'm sure some download site will have it somewhere.
    If not, then contact me, and i will send you one i have :)
    Friday, December 26, 2008 4:07 PM