RCC issues with OCS 2007 and CUPS 6.x RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello all,

I recently deployed a OCS 2007 entperise server. I have a LCS 2005 server that is integrated with our CUPS Server and it works fine.

I have added the proper static routes and host authorization entires on our OCS server. I also have the proper entry on our CUPS server for the name and ip of our OCS server.

I have migrated my account to the new OCS server and enabled myself for enhanced presence.

This is what works:

When someone calls my extension from within the company I get the little box in the corner that notifies me of the call  and I can pick it up using the call controls. I can see the users extension but not the name of the user calling (not sure if this is possible, we never did get this working on the LCS 2005 side of things)

When someone outside the company calls I get the rcc notification as well but the caller id has the extension of our receptionist rather than the id of the call...not sure if this is because they are calling the operator first and they are being transferred?

This is what does not work:

When I right click a user, even my own name and go to call the only option I get is to make a communicator call.I have even went into my account and clicked to publish my numbers. Any idea why this may be the case?

If I just put in an extension in name field in my ocs client and hit enter it dials it without an issue...so Imm not sure why it wont display a users extension and other published numbers when I right click on the name?

Any help that anyone could provide would be excellent.

Thank you.

Patrick

Monday, April 21, 2008 6:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Patrick,

1) The calling name from outside calls won't display - this is a sore point because it should really be able to display the info.

2) The caller ID shouldn't be coming from the receptionist. I would double check to make sure that you have your SIP trunk set up to send redirecting ie and that you aren't using a calling number mask of the receptionists number.

3) You are probably not seeing users home/work/mobile numbers because they aren't normalized. Check the event logs on the front-end server; i bet you see a bunch of messages around 2am that show that address book server not able to normalize phone numbers.

Just for testing, try changing someone's phone number in AD to this format: +13125551212 (i.e. fully normalized format). Then manually force the address book service to regenerate the address book, exit out of your communicator client, delete your local copy of galcontacts.db, then re-launch the OCS client. My guess is that the number that you changed to the fully normalized format now displays properly.

If that works, you can either change all your numbers in AD to be normalized (big task) or write some normalization rules in the text file that resides on the front-end server to automatically normalize the numbers in your AD.

Regards,

Matt

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:18 PM
  •  

Yep, thec OC 2007 client will not display phone numbers unless they are somehow presented in E.164 format.  This behavior is hard-coded and cannot be disabled.  So like Matt said, either fix them in AD or if the numbers are already populated in a semi-standard format, you can Enable Custom Phone Number Normalization with the Address Book Service.
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:12 PM
  •  

Guys thank you for the responses. 

jeff I found that awesome article too and I copied over my generic normalization rules from my lcs server and copied it over the text that was in my company_phone_normalization_rules.txt file. (i made a backup copy of the original)

After I did this some number are showing up for users and I can even dial them. But its odd because its not for everyone...and I have the numbers set up the same in ad. Also, 4 digit extensions are showing up for anyone.

I am sorry but I guess I am still a bit confused. Does ocs pull the users number info from ad or somehow from the normalization text?

In LCS we were able to dial by extension, main number, and if the person had a cell that info would populate as well.

I thought this came from the client at the end user having the publish numbers tab being checked off. Does ocs not work the same? Or am I completely missing the mark here?

Im sorry for all the confusion im facing guys...I really appreciate it.

Patrick

Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Take a look at my post in this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/unifiedcommunications/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2900718&SiteID=57

If the numbers are published in AD, then the data in those attributes override anything plugged into the Phones tab in the client.  In this case the checkbox on that tab for controlling the published behavior of each numbers is completely useless.  Anything in AD is treated as public data and Access Levels do not com into play.  But if the associated attribute is blank in AD, then the users can enter numbers and control the behavior.

I think an intended design would be to have user's Work numbers published in AD and then normalized into E.164, and then leave the Home and Mobile fields blank in AD, allowing the user to control their personal numbers and then select how can see them via Access Levels.

But if all the numbers are in AD, then they will always show for everyone, as long as they normalize into E.164 format.  IF not, then OC hides them by design.

That said, Matt and I have both seen some major goofiness with numbers appearing in either the 10 digits or 4 format that is sometimes stored int he otherPhone attribute.  It seems to randomly switch between the two when displaying the Work number based on normalization rules, but the number would always dial correctly via RCC, it was just a display issue.  Very strange.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:17 PM
  • Jeff thank you so much for that clarification about the publish phone numbers. That makes more sense to me now...I really appreciate it.

I put in someone mobile number in AD as +12345678999 and it displayed in OC correctly. So I guess I have something wrong in my normilization rules .txt file.

Typically we have the users number in the general tab in AD listed as 123-456-7899, 3524 (where 3524 is the users extension).

Then in the others tab we put in just the extension.

Then in the Telephones tab we put in the users mobile number if they have one and we put it in as 123-456-7899

So if I understand right, I need to put in the proper normilization rules for the above scenarios for the OCS client to display the numbers correctly....am I correct in this statement?

If so, can anyone point me to some documentation as to how to normalize the above formats...I tried reading the examples in .txt file but wasnt sure what to edit or add to get the above working.

Thanks for any help or insight you guys can provide.

Patrick

Friday, April 25, 2008 12:45 PM
  • Patrick.,

I was inspired to finish up a blog entry I've had sitting  around in limbo for some time.  Check it out as I hope it answers any questions you have regarding this component of OCS.

https://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=26

Friday, April 25, 2008 8:47 PM
  • Jeff - Thanks for your help.  I work with Patrick and I think the E.164 issue was the key to solving the issue.  We fixed the normalization rules and then had to do some tweaks in CCM 6.1 to strip the + sign.  I wish Cisco would just allow you to strip it unconditionally but they make you create rules with specific string lengths... so that basically means international dialing is out.

The only other integration gotcha is the lack of support for conference calling.  In LCS/MOC 2005 it was supported and frankly was a very nice feature.  But, I would imagine that will be something Cisco and Microsoft will beworking on soon to resolve.

Now we need to figure out reverse number lookup in MOC so that the AD display name gets pulled with internal phone calls.  It would be nice to have the original caller ID get pushed through as well instead of seeing the DN of the receptionist or the unity server but maybe that's not possible?  I couldn't tell from the earlier posts.

Anyway, Patrick or I will post the next updates to our little adventure as soon as something new or exciting happens.

Saturday, May 3, 2008 3:35 AM
  • Hi Markus,
    I am having the same issue however i am unable to strip the + in CCM6.2

I have opted to not use E.164 formats in AD but use normalisation rules. These work fine but i am unable to get the CUCM to do the transfer back to be able to dial local extensions.

I have setup application rule of 4 digits with a + and then set to delete the leading + but still nothing... any help would be much appreciated.
    Regards
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:54 AM