Vista Ultimate activated but not Genuine! RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

Basically...

I activated my initial install of Vista Ultimate successfully. A few weeks later chose to upgraded my Motherboard, CPU, Memory and Graphics card. This lead to a re-install of Vista Ultimate and of course reactivation. Sadly on this occasion, online activation was unsuccessful and therefore I had to persue activation via the phone, which was thankfully, successful.

A few days later I was within system properties and noticed that it stated that Vista was not activated! I clicked the accompanying activate button and was informed that activation was successful.

All seemed well for a while until recently I noticed that Windows Defender was disabled and wouldn't switch on. I visited the Windows Defender website with the intention of downloading a more recent version (if possible). Upon reaching the Genuine Validation stage prior to download I was presented with the following dialogue...!!

"Windows must be activated before validation can determine if this copy of Windows is Genuine".

Again I looked in system properties and it does state that my copy of Vista Ultimate is indeed activated, even though the diag report below states that I have an 'invalid license'!!

I'm lost as to what I can now, where do I go from here?

Kind Regards,

D Rigby

P.S.

Here is my Genuine Advantage Diag report:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid License
    Detailed Status: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-7C973-K6Q6T-TT7H7
    Windows Product Key Hash: lQOID2tvHLUUUKozwkMcLwTCLYQ=
    Windows Product ID: 89580-014-3036871-71633
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.001
    ID: 11dfb80d-66c2-4426-a7c8-3a517f53933c
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-138-80041010_025D1FF3-324-80040154_025D1FF3-269-80040154_025D1FF3-273-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>11dfb80d-66c2-4426-a7c8-3a517f53933c</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010100.0.0.001</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-TT7H7</PKey><PID>89580-014-3036871-71633</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1505004835-3139222252-2305508380</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS P5N-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 0202</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20061122000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>D3333507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-0014-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>24DC5E7F60E570C</Val><Hash>5pQ64lihSLLNc/ET3Dk2ZNhrjQc=</Hash><Pid>81605-902-2130152-65671</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 7:06 PM

Answers

• Hello D,

Could I ask you to phone activate once more and then revalidated.

You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4" in the search field in the Start Menu and pressing Enter.

Once you've done that, click “Validate Windows” here: www.microsoft.com/genuine and follow the prompts to revalidate.

Let me know if you run into any snags.  Thank you!

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:22 PM
  • Hmm...well in the situation I was expereincing I would turn on the computer and immediately get the message informing me to active my Windows Vista (which I did the day I got my computer some 2 months ago - yes it was a pre-installed Windows Vista).  The online activation link would break halfway through the process with a general 0xC004---- code whose last four digits changed each time I attempted the online activation link.  When I tried the phone activation none of the numbers other than the phone number would appear on the screen, thus I could not answer the phone questions to active Windows Vista.

Highly confused by these issues I pulled out the Windows kit that came with the computer (user guide, disc, etc) and compared it to my husbands Window Vista disc and the old Windows XP disc in the house to make sure it really was a real disc.  Nothing seemed out of the ordinary with it.

Using the other computer, we searched ways of fixing this problem: using IE to get to My Computer and using search to find command lines (none of the command lines I needed were able to be found - this issue ened up being due to the "limited access to computer" that the not genuine message caused).  At the end some remote site stated that the error may have been caused through an update that Windows Vista had done, though no follow up to that idea could be found.

With nothing to lose (thank goodness for USB sticks for backups) I forced my PC to boot from my DVD drive and re-installed Windows Vista using the disc that came with the computer.  Once a fresh install had occurred I quickly went to my Control Panel and activated Windows Vista...with no problems.

I have since turned off automatic updates on my computer and only installed the updates for Windows that occurred before June 07.  I have not had any more issues with my computer.

I do however thank this forum for it's ideas and links as they helped me reach a solution that worked.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:30 PM

All replies

• I am getting exactly the same thing today whilst I was browsing Microsoft downloads but when I go to Computer Properties it says I am activated!

Every time I go through the Genuine Windows Software check it says I am not activated. Now it has disabled Aero and other features even though I still have no way of re-activating.

Any Ideas?!

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:19 PM
  • Hello D,

Could I ask you to phone activate once more and then revalidated.

You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4" in the search field in the Start Menu and pressing Enter.

Once you've done that, click “Validate Windows” here: www.microsoft.com/genuine and follow the prompts to revalidate.

Let me know if you run into any snags.  Thank you!

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:22 PM
  • Thanks MS

I have followed your instructions for D and it seems to have worked fine. Do I need to reboot to reactivate Aero?

Any ideas why this has happened to so many people today?

Thanks again,

Seggo

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:30 PM
  • You might need to log out and log back in or reboot, as long as you've already passed validation.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:03 PM
  • Hi MS Support,

Thank you for the swift reply.

I've gone through the phone activation and genuine validation as you suggested and everything seems to be ok now.

Until I upgrade again - I guess.

Thanks again! Have a great day.

D Rigby

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:21 PM
  • That works.  The steps I did:

Obtain confirmation code by executing 'slui 4' or 'slui.exe 4' in search dialog.

slui will provide telephone # for reactivation and steps

Reboot

You'll notice genuine still not valid.  Don't panic.

Validate your copy via Genuine Microsoft Software webpage

Reboot

It's good.

Too many steps, I can see.   Hope MS can fix this.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 10:32 PM
  • The slui.exe.4 doesn't return anything in my search what next?
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 2:22 PM
  • This was a great thing to wake up to on a Saturday morning!  *sigh*

I cannot find the "slui.exe 4" file anywhere on my computer however when Windows wants me to validate it kinda allows me to chose the phone in option.  However, none of the 6 number codes show up.  There is space there for them but they are not there.  I have tried highlighting them, selecting them, ect. but to no avail.

I would like to call Microsoft tech support, however they do not appear to have a number during the weekend.  Anyone else have any ideas to this?

Saturday, June 16, 2007 4:17 PM
  • It's not actually a search your doing.  It should run the 'slui 4' command.  Are you by any chance using a preinstalled version of Vista?  Have you tried to activate online?  If you would, please post the results of the WGA diagnostics tool (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012) with any new question. 

Please also post the error code you get (if any) when you validate by clicking "Validate Windows" here: www.microsoft.com/genuine
    The error code will be gray and in brackets at the end of the message on the page that says validation failed.  (It'll look something like this:  [0xC004C000]).

Thank you!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:30 PM
  • Hmm...well in the situation I was expereincing I would turn on the computer and immediately get the message informing me to active my Windows Vista (which I did the day I got my computer some 2 months ago - yes it was a pre-installed Windows Vista).  The online activation link would break halfway through the process with a general 0xC004---- code whose last four digits changed each time I attempted the online activation link.  When I tried the phone activation none of the numbers other than the phone number would appear on the screen, thus I could not answer the phone questions to active Windows Vista.

Highly confused by these issues I pulled out the Windows kit that came with the computer (user guide, disc, etc) and compared it to my husbands Window Vista disc and the old Windows XP disc in the house to make sure it really was a real disc.  Nothing seemed out of the ordinary with it.

Using the other computer, we searched ways of fixing this problem: using IE to get to My Computer and using search to find command lines (none of the command lines I needed were able to be found - this issue ened up being due to the "limited access to computer" that the not genuine message caused).  At the end some remote site stated that the error may have been caused through an update that Windows Vista had done, though no follow up to that idea could be found.

With nothing to lose (thank goodness for USB sticks for backups) I forced my PC to boot from my DVD drive and re-installed Windows Vista using the disc that came with the computer.  Once a fresh install had occurred I quickly went to my Control Panel and activated Windows Vista...with no problems.

I have since turned off automatic updates on my computer and only installed the updates for Windows that occurred before June 07.  I have not had any more issues with my computer.

I do however thank this forum for it's ideas and links as they helped me reach a solution that worked.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:30 PM