Upgrade path RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running home servers for a long while now but am noting that the end of support is coming up (4/12/2016).

I understand that I can't per say upgrade the server, it will be a OS wipe and install with a newer version.  I was looking at the Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials OEM, seems the cheapest.  Other solutions?

Most of the things I use the server for I know servers support except for backup, I'm not sure about.  Do any of the new windows servers support backing up client computers like WHS did?  I assume I will lose my ???.homeserver.com name.  Am I going to have any other got you problems?

John J. Hughes II

Thursday, October 8, 2015 1:23 PM

Answers

• John 2012 Essentials was around $400 in the US and basically worked like WHS for backups - other more professional versions were much more expensive. I have not looked at the 2016 options yet but plan to download the evaluation version at some point.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:32 PM

All replies

• Server 2012 is the logical Microsoft choice and provides similar functionalty to the bits of WHS you like including client backups and Dashboard etcq wr. It is due to be updated soon to Server 2016 (I believe). I still use WHS2011 for backups but I use W10 as a media, storage and mail server. I VPN to it rather than to WHS so I don't have many concerns over the forthcoming lack of support from a security viewpoint.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 3:42 PM
  • Thanks Phil,

Yea I saw some thing about server 2016, have not really looked into it much, seems they have tech preview 3 out, maybe I'll download it.

Do you know if the backup works basically the same as WHS, it is really nice that all my families computers are backed up. This feature has saved us many times.

Does it matter which version?  I am search but have not found the specs yet.

John J. Hughes II

Thursday, October 8, 2015 7:34 PM
  • John 2012 Essentials was around $400 in the US and basically worked like WHS for backups - other more professional versions were much more expensive. I have not looked at the 2016 options yet but plan to download the evaluation version at some point.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:32 PM
  • Thanks Phil, will continue to look into it.

John J. Hughes II

Thursday, October 8, 2015 9:16 PM