WHS Folder Access Denined problem on windows vista ultimate 32 bit and 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all

i have a new WHS server, and i can connect fine by the console, and i can make new shares and user acc, and run the hole system without any problems.

but when i go under shared folders and then click open on a folder, i get this message back \\server\public access is denied, and its every folder even my own private folder.

but with my windows xp machine, there no problem, please help, i have read alot on this forum and the faq but i cant find any help.

Sunday, July 5, 2009 9:06 AM

Answers

• Hey all

i have a new WHS server, and i can connect fine by the console, and i can make new shares and user acc, and run the hole system without any problems.

but when i go under shared folders and then click open on a folder, i get this message back \\server\public access is denied, and its every folder even my own private folder.

but with my windows xp machine, there no problem, please help, i have read alot on this forum and the faq but i cant find any help.

Did you create a user account on your server?  Did you set it up so that the user account and password on the server matches what you have on your client?  You might check this FAQ post: How to fix share access issues where user name and password are requested and see if it helps.
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 2:04 PM
  • Iam logging in in the normal server consol window, and iam logging in with the standard admin account and the admin password, so iam not using any user account's.

ive made a user sccount but only for remote access use.

There's your problem.  :)  You need to create a user account on your server that matches both the user name and password of the user account on your client.  (The console is for admin functions only.)

its super wired, men i use the same admin account, on my windows xp machine, i can open alle the share folders.

anyone have a new guess ?? please =)

Monday, July 6, 2009 12:01 AM

All replies

• Hey all

Did you create a user account on your server?  Did you set it up so that the user account and password on the server matches what you have on your client?  You might check this FAQ post: How to fix share access issues where user name and password are requested and see if it helps.
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 2:04 PM
  • Iam logging in in the normal server consol window, and iam logging in with the standard admin account and the admin password, so iam not using any user account's.

its super wired, men i use the same admin account, on my windows xp machine, i can open alle the share folders.

Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:41 PM

There's your problem.  :)  You need to create a user account on your server that matches both the user name and password of the user account on your client.  (The console is for admin functions only.)

Monday, July 6, 2009 12:01 AM
  • I am having the same issue, I have set up all correct user accounts and the passwords are the same as local pc log in. On the vista premium pc I can reinstall the connector software, and all will work well for a short time. XP machine has no issue with access to any folders. I have been searching for several days now and I think my wife may kill me if she can no longer access the server. As usual I talked her into getting this server. I have cheecked all firewall settings, all TCP/IP settings all seem correct. If you can send me on another path I would greatly appreciate the help.
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 7:56 PM