PC Keeps wanting Validation RRS feed

• Question

• Ok. I am really starting to hate windows activation. I hope this is the right forum to ask this question on.

A client of mine keeps getting a message at startup every week or so to activate windows. Finally we couldnt activate it anymore as it said were at our limit????

Finally we said whatever... and bought a new copy of windows and I reinstalled the whole OS. Turned off the computer after activating it thinking Im all done. 2 Hours later turn it on and BOOM it says I have to activate this copy of windows. I know they are all legitimate. I started changing hardware thinking that it may be the hardware causing problems. Ok change lots of harware no problem activate again and done... NOPE should have seen that coming.....

Sometimes I reboot after it wants me to activate and  then it doesnt want to be activated??????

Whats causing this phenomenom......?

Please any advise or insight would help. I am now changing the mother board in hopes that this last piece of hardware will make it stop wanting activation ever week or so.

Travis

Monday, June 5, 2006 10:30 PM

Answers

• Try the following:

1. Reboot your computer into "Safe Mode".

2. Go to Start > Run and type: %systemroot%\system32 then press the Enter key.

3. Locate these two files: wpa.dbl and wpa.bak

4. Rename the wpa.dbl file to wpaold.dbl and wpa.bak to wpaold.bak

5. Reboot your computer into Normal mode. This will force activation on the following boot, but should remove the message that you are already activated message. Sometimes if these files get corrupted, they can cause this type of problem.

Monday, June 5, 2006 11:02 PM

All replies

• Tcpip77,

Put the motherboard back in, offload their valuable data, then do a clean installation with a legitmate copy of XP.

Did the computer come from the manufacturer with XP preinstalled or was this an upgrade installation, or was this an installation of a nongenuine XP onto a naked PC?

Monday, June 5, 2006 11:01 PM
  • Try the following:

1. Reboot your computer into "Safe Mode".

2. Go to Start > Run and type: %systemroot%\system32 then press the Enter key.

3. Locate these two files: wpa.dbl and wpa.bak

4. Rename the wpa.dbl file to wpaold.dbl and wpa.bak to wpaold.bak

5. Reboot your computer into Normal mode. This will force activation on the following boot, but should remove the message that you are already activated message. Sometimes if these files get corrupted, they can cause this type of problem.

Monday, June 5, 2006 11:02 PM
  • If you read my post Dan I bought ANOTHER LEGITIMATE copy of XP and did a fresh install.  It activated ok and then later on started having the same problems....

IF you had also read my post you would have noticed that I said that I Installed the XP, as they are my client...

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 1:46 AM
  • I have replaced the motherboard Carey and so far doesnt seem to have the problem anymore. I am running a burnin program and now the system seems more stable also.

I am turning it off with no power for a few hours and then Ill boot it up to see if it wants activation.

IN the future I will try the wpa.dbl trick to see if it makes a difference. I have a feeling that the motherboard was causing problems and the actiation would be ok and then not ok.... however that works....? /sigh

Thnx

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 1:49 AM
  •  tcpip77 wrote:

If you read my post Dan I bought ANOTHER LEGITIMATE copy of XP and did a fresh install.  It activated ok and then later on started having the same problems....

I did read the post.  You wrote "...bought a new copy of windows and I reinstalled the whole OS."  "Reinstalled" to me means a repair reinstallation.

I was advocating a clean installation, which is what you did, calling it a "fresh install" above.

tcpip77 wrote:

IF you had also read my post you would have noticed that I said that I Installed the XP, as they are my client...

No where in your post did you mention anything about the origin and nature of the first installation and the computer, which is why I asked.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 2:05 AM
  • hey there i've install windows vista home premium , and i've already activated it but it keeps comin up i have to activate it and when i go to activate it, it says the product key is already in use any ideas?cheers!

Thursday, September 6, 2007 3:23 PM
  • You can get started with phone activation by typing "slui.exe 4"
    (w/o the quotes) in the Start Search box in the Start Menu and pressing
    Enter.
    The phone activation process takes about 6 minutes.

Thursday, September 6, 2007 4:06 PM
  • Hello TCPIP,

Please run the diagnostic test as Carey mentioned. In turn please post the results back in this thread. This helps us to analyze problems which may be causing the problmes which you/your client are experiencing. We will await your information.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, September 6, 2007 6:16 PM
  • John,

Let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  In turn the tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the “Windows” tab, click “Copy”, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, September 6, 2007 6:20 PM