Help removing a virus RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello, NAV, Spy Sweeper, and OneCare found Trojan Win32/Fake Cog, Trojan.metajuan, Packed.Genric 200 during a scan. NAV required a manual removal. I try to acess regedit to delete the string but I receive a message stating "registry editor diabled by administrator". I also cannot access System Restore or Tweak UI. My system was not set up this way. Could the viruses have changed this setting and if so, how to I get in to the registry to remove them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 5:32 PM

All replies

•  

If you are using Windows Live OneCare (onecare.live.com - the paid, subscriber version) and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

And, if you are using Windows Live OneCare, Norton needs to be removed as OneCare and NAV will conflict.

If you meant that you used the free OneCare Safety Scanner online, then there's not an issue with a conflict.

You should contact Norton for help with removal if they are your security software provider. The forum that you posted to is for Microsoft Security Essentials beta, so you are off topic.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, August 24, 2009 5:38 PM
  • Thanks Stephen.

Yes, I used the free OneCare Safety Scanner online. I will contact Norton with removal help. I will then uninstall it and subscribe to OneCare. I found that more helpful than NAV. Any idea why I can't edit my registry. Sorry, for the miss-post. New at this.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 5:44 PM
  • No problems on the mis-post. My guess is that your ability to edit the registry is related to the infection(s) the PC contracted. Before you jump in with OneCare, do note that it is at end of life. If you purchase a subscription now, it will be fully supported for 12 months, but you'd need to switch when the subscription ends. The forum that you originally posted to is where we are discussing the replacement to OneCare, Microsoft Security Essentials, which is currently in a closed beta testing period. It will be free when it is released. You may want to continue with NAV for now and switch when your subscription to that ends, if you wish.
    And, if Norton support isn't helpful with getting your PC back in order, that 800 number I referred you to is free support from Microsoft for malware removal help.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Monday, August 24, 2009 5:55 PM