Interlinear translations RRS feed

• General discussion

• I would like to be able to generate an interlinear translation where the foreign word is placed below the English word in the text. This is for language learning by reading in whatever foreign language I am trying to learn e.g. German or Latin. Right now I am generating these manually and find them to be very useful.

I am sure many other people would find them useful also. I can usually learn at least several new words a day as well as review and reinforce words already learned just by reading in this manner.

• Changed type crocolator Sunday, June 3, 2012 2:29 AM
    Sunday, June 3, 2012 2:29 AM

All replies

• You can do that with the translator API, however word-for-word translations are usually less accurate than phrase or sentence based ones.

For example, consider the English "Good Morning", which in Japanese is:

おはようございます

And then the English "Good" which in Japanese is:

良い

You'll see that the word 'Good' translates completely differently between 'Good' and 'Good Morning'.

Another option is to use the Microsoft Translator Widget, if you are doing this for a website. The widget, post translation, allows the user to hover over words and phrases to see the original text. Details of how to add it (it's cut and paste code) are at http://www.microsofttranslator.com/widget.

Friday, June 8, 2012 11:56 AM