Computers aren't being recognized - please help! RRS feed

• Question

• Someone please help me before I pull all of my hair out and burn this software. I've been at this for 2 weeks+!!!

Here's my setup;

Net Gear Router
    - server machine running WHS
    - Vista x64 ultimate
    - laptop 1 = thinkpad t42
    - laptop 2 = thinkpad x60
    --> all my computers and servers are behind the router.

Now when I log on to my domain name internet based address to access my computers remotely with my T42 I get this:

... which is all fine and dandy ...

But when I try to log on to my domain name remotely using my Vista machine I get this:

It's just blank and hangs there forever ... trying to connect in ... and eventually does ... but sometimes it times out too.

And then when I connect remotely using my X60 it logs into the web it goes through but it doesn't recognize anything:

Can anyone help??

I'm really losing my patience with this product.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 10:35 AM

Answers

•  Ripley1 wrote:

Why weren't my computers recognized when I connected via the internet/domain? ... Because I didn't use Internet Explorer ... i was using Firefox instead ... for some reason the security settings on IE don't allow any other browser to access the remote desktop function ... i.e. computers won't be recognized if use firefox.

Firefox doesn't support ActiveX, and Remote Desktop functionality through the Windows Home Server Remote Access web site requires ActiveX. Therefore, Remote Desktop is an Internet Explorer-only feature. This is in the documentation or on the Windows Home Server pages of the Microsoft web site (somewhere).

Ripley1 wrote:

so went back to regedit.exe and changed it back ... and then used "Admin" the original username when first install winXP ... and it finally went through ... so now I have to change all my usernames back to the original names when i first installed the OS's .... i.e. Admin, Administrator etc ...

This has all been a real pain.

all i had to do was use internet explorer ... not firefox ...

poor "plain english" documentation support for whs product.

First, this FAQ posting describes how to align user names correctly. It talks about a different issue, but you can change the user name the same way. Hopefully it will help.

Regarding the documentation: there's very little available to just a regular user, you're quite right, and what there is is sketchy. That's because this isn't a retail product. You can't walk into Best Buy and purchase a shrink-wrapped box with Windows Home Server software inside, for installation on your hardware. You buy the software-only product through the system builder channel. The assumption is that someone buying system builder software is a system builder, i.e. builds and sells moderate numbers of semi-custom computers. The system builder is pretty much responsible for delivering documentation that's useful to the end user, I'm afraid.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:28 PM

All replies

• Did you already install Power Pack 1 RTM version or is it still a Beta on your WHS?

If not, try this first.

Since one PC seems to look normal, I could imagine, that the one or other Internet Explorer Add-on on the clients with strange results is disabled or not installed.

Or maybe you have a popup blocker active or the security settings are misconfigured.

Your homeserver.com machine is added to the Trusted sites in IE properly?

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 10:49 AM
  • Figured out the problem.

Oh boy, what a pain this has all been. All these little things that nobody ever tells you about.

Why weren't my computers recognized when I connected via the internet/domain? ... Because I didn't use Internet Explorer ... i was using Firefox instead ... for some reason the security settings on IE don't allow any other browser to access the remote desktop function ... i.e. computers won't be recognized if use firefox.

But then what happened? As I tried to log on remotely the "username" for the remote machine was my actual name ... however since the remote computer was originally registered as "Admin" ... my logon with my actual name and password did not work ...

So what I did was went to the registry editor, and changed it ... however i tried logging on again with "my name" as the username ... and it still wouldn't go through ... so tried reinstalling all the clients again with updated client cd software ... and still wouldn't do ...

so went back to regedit.exe and changed it back ... and then used "Admin" the original username when first install winXP ... and it finally went through ... so now I have to change all my usernames back to the original names when i first installed the OS's .... i.e. Admin, Administrator etc ...

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:53 PM
  •  Ripley1 wrote:

Firefox doesn't support ActiveX, and Remote Desktop functionality through the Windows Home Server Remote Access web site requires ActiveX. Therefore, Remote Desktop is an Internet Explorer-only feature. This is in the documentation or on the Windows Home Server pages of the Microsoft web site (somewhere).

Ripley1 wrote:

First, this FAQ posting describes how to align user names correctly. It talks about a different issue, but you can change the user name the same way. Hopefully it will help.

Regarding the documentation: there's very little available to just a regular user, you're quite right, and what there is is sketchy. That's because this isn't a retail product. You can't walk into Best Buy and purchase a shrink-wrapped box with Windows Home Server software inside, for installation on your hardware. You buy the software-only product through the system builder channel. The assumption is that someone buying system builder software is a system builder, i.e. builds and sells moderate numbers of semi-custom computers. The system builder is pretty much responsible for delivering documentation that's useful to the end user, I'm afraid.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:28 PM
  • I use FireFox on a Vista Ultimate laptop and installed this IE Tab add-on to FireFox. I access my WHS login page with FireFox then I switch to IE by left-clicking the IE Tab icon. I then login using IE. I can then access both shared files and computers via WHS. It works very well, at least for me.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

Personally I find FireFox to be faster than IE for normal web browsing, etc...

MS-MVP Windows Desktop Experience, "When all else fails, read the instructions"
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:01 PM