none
Lost windows xp cd, need to reformat! RRS feed

• Question

• hi everybody

I have a virus that is effecting my computer. When i open internet sites, most of the time it will redirect me to an advertisement and my computer has been freezing, crashing and sometimes i get a blue screen.

i want to reformat my computer but i don't have the windows xp cd but i do have the sticker on my computer that has my product cd key, is it possible to download the cd from somewhere?

Also before i reformat, i want to put things on CDs so can i just copy and past things from my programs? im also buying a laptop soon, can i do the same thing?

thank you in advance.
    Monday, March 9, 2009 8:45 AM

Answers

•  Hello DIlmah,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.  Virus & system restore issues are off topic. Please call <removed by Moderator: Phone number no longer in use>.   This phone number is for virus and other security-related support free of charge. It is available 24 hours a day for the U.S. and Canada. Detailed information including selecting various regions for support can be located at:

http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4 .  The best way for eradicating malware infections is to re-image your computer. It may provide you with a better peace of mind overall.

Some computers from OEM's like HP, Dell, Compaq, Gateway, Lenovo, sometimes come with a restore disc or have a hidden partition. If you have a computer built from a major manufacturer I would recommend for you to contact them and order a restoration disc. The instructions for how to restore your system vary by which way your manufacture has their process set up. 

Also please run and provide us with the MGA Diagnostic Tool as Dan mentioned.

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, March 9, 2009 9:16 PM
    • Edited by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:54 PM Removed phone number no longer in use
    Monday, March 9, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Do you have an issue related to a Microsoft Genuine Advantage issue? Your MGA report is fine!  If not, please repost your inquiry in the appropriate Office newsgroup:
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, September 21, 2009 5:09 AM

All replies

• Dilmah123,

We request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into your reply to this post.

Next, tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) for your Windows. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, Tablet, or Media Center?
    2. For installations of XP that came with the computer (OEM):
        2a. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
        2b. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    3. For installations of XP purchased at retail, does the retail package have the CoA on the ouuter boxtop, and the Product Key printed on an orange label inside the folder that came in the box?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key that may be printed on the CoA.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.  (You did that already.)

Please visit this page for detailed information and images of CoAs:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=coa

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, March 9, 2009 2:52 PM
  •  Hello DIlmah,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.  Virus & system restore issues are off topic. Please call <removed by Moderator: Phone number no longer in use>.   This phone number is for virus and other security-related support free of charge. It is available 24 hours a day for the U.S. and Canada. Detailed information including selecting various regions for support can be located at:

http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4 .  The best way for eradicating malware infections is to re-image your computer. It may provide you with a better peace of mind overall.

Some computers from OEM's like HP, Dell, Compaq, Gateway, Lenovo, sometimes come with a restore disc or have a hidden partition. If you have a computer built from a major manufacturer I would recommend for you to contact them and order a restoration disc. The instructions for how to restore your system vary by which way your manufacture has their process set up. 

Also please run and provide us with the MGA Diagnostic Tool as Dan mentioned.

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, March 9, 2009 9:16 PM
    • Edited by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:54 PM Removed phone number no longer in use
    Monday, March 9, 2009 9:16 PM
  •  The link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 doesnt work for me, an error page comes up.

I have windows xp home edition.
    the computer came with windows installed
    i see DELL written in black writing.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:40 AM
  • Hi Dilmah123,

It's possible that the infection is preventing the downloading or running of the utility.

To specifically answer your first question, there may be images of XP Home CDs on the internet, but PLEASE do NOT download and use one.  These unoffical downloadable CDs have been proven to be loaded with viruses and other malware.

In fact, when installing any Microsoft software on the computer, it is recommended that you do NOT use any CD other than (1) a genuine Microsoft hologrammed CD that was purchased from a reputable name brand local or online retailer, or (2) the Recovery CDs that came with your computer.  As a rule, Dell computers come with a Dell Operating System Reinstallation CD that is sort of a maroon-brownish color for XP Home, and several light blue CDs with drivers and resources.

When you start your Dell, after the Dell logo is displayed, do you see a blue bar with www.dell.com at he top of the screen for exactly two seconds?  If so, your Dell has a PC Restore program installed that will erase everyhting on the C: drive and reinstall XP Home to factory-fresh condition in about 20 minutes or less, and no need for CDs.  You access the Dell PC Restore program by pressing CTRL + F11 when you see the blue bar.

If no blue bar, then you will need Dell CDs to erase the C: drive and reinstall XP.  To get CDs from dell, follow this link:  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

As you mentioned, you will want to save your valuable files before running one of the restore programs.  A very handy alternative to burning several CDs is to use a flash drive (also known as a thumb drive or pen drive).  These are very inexpensive---for example, I have seen 4 GB drives on sale for about $15.  IMO they are much more convenient, faster, and more reliable than burning CDs.

If you need more support while working with your Dell, please visit the Dell web pages at support.dell.com.  They have a good chat system and they have a good user-to-user community system as well.

Good Luck!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:47 PM
  • Step by Step Reinstallation of Windows on a Dell PC

Step 1: Look at the Windows Product Key sticker on your Dell PC.  Write down the version of Windows.

Step 2: Take your Dell Windows Reinstallation CD/DVD and insert it into the cd/dvdrom drive. 

Step 3: Press F12 during bootup.  Choose boot from CD/DVDRom

Step 4: Follow onscreen instructions and reload windows

If you dont have a Reinstallation CD/DVD, you can go to: http://www.oemsoftwaresource.com or for a replacement.

Saturday, April 18, 2009 10:14 PM
  • Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-89DV6-X3DX6-7BP3Q
    Windows Product Key Hash: uJg/ALYOvZYv9RdnrnJaj3/sMzg=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2214694-44765
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {1AF53F64-185E-450B-87B1-F7AD85639EC3}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 2.0.48.0
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 102
    2007 Microsoft Office system - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1_B4D0AA8B-920-80070057

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{1AF53F64-185E-450B-87B1-F7AD85639EC3}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-7BP3Q</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2214694-44765</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2969703071-1262321488-179668909</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>INTEL_</Manufacturer><Model>D945GCR_</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>NL94510J.86A.0010.2007.0523.1650</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070523000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>3B7A367F0184E06A</HWID><UserLCID>0C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>E. Australia Standard Time(GMT+10:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Xnet</name><model>Xnet</model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>102</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91120000-0031-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>2007 Microsoft Office system</Name><Ver>12</Ver><PidType>19</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

I have windows XP Professional, it is OEM software. I do not have a dic to re upload windows and we're not sure if we ever had one. The problem is that i can not access microsoft word, everytime i open it opens but then freezes, it is only microsoft word that does this. I hope you can please help. Regards.

Monday, September 21, 2009 4:40 AM
  • Do you have an issue related to a Microsoft Genuine Advantage issue? Your MGA report is fine!  If not, please repost your inquiry in the appropriate Office newsgroup:
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, September 21, 2009 5:09 AM