Cannot install connector on Win10, but I can see all of my server shares RRS feed

• Question

• This is a weird one for me.

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 (looking back, I'm not sure why)... and my WHS2011 server shares are all there, in Network/SERVER just where I left them.

However, when I go to install the connector from http://SERVER/connect, the connector installer says it can't find my server by name or IP address.

I know it's called SERVER because I can see it right in Windows Explorer, and I can see SERVER on my DHCP list from my router on 192.168.1.105.  Neither name nor IP address work in the connector software install.   I can ping both SERVER and 192.168.1.105 with 100% success.  And let me remind you all again that I can upload and download to my shares without issue.

I've searched and searched, and I can't find anything that works.  Most results are from a year ago when the first RCs for Win10 were coming out.   The official word from MS on it is that the WHS2011 Connector software just "works" with Win10.

I've seen others report that they at least got the launchpad/connector installed... so I don't know what the problem is.

The only other thing I can think about is that I have been messing with some remote access stuff to try to get VNC working via Jump Desktop (Android app)... could I have messed something up?  If so... what should I change?

Can anyone help?

• Edited by DrPhantum Saturday, July 16, 2016 5:58 AM
    Saturday, July 16, 2016 5:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that Connector failed to be installed/configured on Windows 10 as it can't find the WHS 2011 by name or IP address.

Try to configure the problematic Windows 10 with static IP address(which is available on your network), and configure the Preference DNS server as the WHS 2011.

If the problem persists, on the problematic Windows 10, open hosts file (which is located on C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc), manually add the record of your WHS 2011 to this file. 

Then, check to see if the Connector would be working. Also, I recommend you check/install Windows Update on Windows 10, it would be helpful for resolving some known issues and improving the performance. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 18, 2016 5:58 AM
  • A little bit outdated, but still valid in most points:

How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server

Is your network declared as a private network or as public?

Did you install a 3rd party security software? Is the UEFI hotfix installed on the server already?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, July 21, 2016 7:34 AM
  • Hello.  I tried setting my IP address and DNS addresses like you recommended, and it didn't seem to work.  Can you explain again what I put in each box?  Do I keep my gateway equal to my router address?  

I also attempted to update the hosts file with an entry for the WHS server, and it still didn't work.

Perhaps another, more detailed explanation would help... or maybe it's another problem.

I can ping SERVER, and it says "Pinging SERVER [192.168.1.105] with 32 bytes of data"  so that name and IP address are recognized on my network...  why can't I get the connector software to see it then?  It's so frustrating.

Sunday, July 24, 2016 3:08 AM
  • I looked through your writeup, and tried what I could... but did not have any luck.  

I clicked the UEFI hotfix link above... and I'm not sure if it's installed because I can't get to the WHS to check.
    I don't think I'm ready for that hotfix though, since my problem is getting the connector to CONNECT.  I can't install it without access to the server, right?

Thanks for the replies, but I still need help!

Sunday, July 24, 2016 3:11 AM
  • The hotfix would be installed directly on the server - connect with the Remote Desktop client, the administrator account of the server and the admin password.

If you open a command prompt on your client, what would be the output of

ipconfig /all

If you use the homegroup feature on your client, try to disable it.

Olaf

Monday, July 25, 2016 10:31 AM
  • I can't log in via remote desktop.  I'm given either of 2 error messages - the account isn't authorized for remote access, or saying that the connection could not be made (and suggests the server may not be on). (UPDATE - I did ipconfig /release  ... ipconfig /renew and this problem is fixed) The latter just started showing up on one of my two Win10 machines... and it doesn't make sense because that computer can access the WHS shares and ping the server with no problem.  Actually... I think I may have broken something even further while trying to troubleshoot, because when I   "ping SERVER" it goes to the wrong IP address, and fails on all attempts.  See below, and note that the ip address of the server is actually .105... but it attempts to ping .104.  This is probably why it's failing to see the server when I try to remotely connect.

C:\Users\Ryan>ping SERVER

Pinging SERVER [192.168.1.105] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.104: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.105:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

C:\Users\Ryan>

UPDATE:  When I released and renewed my IP, the SERVER now reports an IPv6 address (it appears), and the ping succeeds.  See below.

C:\Users\Ryan>ping SERVER

Pinging SERVER [fe80::f871:8f6c:1f0f:ab69%4] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from fe80::f871:8f6c:1f0f:ab69%4: time<1ms
    Reply from fe80::f871:8f6c:1f0f:ab69%4: time=1ms

Ping statistics for fe80::f871:8f6c:1f0f:ab69%4:
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

I hooked a VGA cable and keyboard directly to the WHS unit and tried to log in that way... but I could only attempt to log in with the Administrator account, which unfortunately - I can't remember the password for.  (:sadface:)  I had added an account with my own name which I would use instead... but I can't put "Ryan" in as the user... I only have the option for "Administrator"   Is there a way to log in at the WHS directly with another username?

As for the output of ipconfig /all from my client machine (the one I'm on right now)...

C:\Users\Ryan>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Ryan-PC
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.pa.comcast.net.

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Airlink101 300N Wireless PCI Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-02-60-8E-58
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-02-60-8E-5A

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.pa.comcast.net.
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C8-60-00-16-D4-57
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c813:4e2b:3fd0:8f16%4(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.104(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, July 23, 2016 11:05:43 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 27, 2016 11:05:54 AM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 164126720
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-E4-43-DD-C8-60-00-16-D4-57
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.76.76
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.hsd1.pa.comcast.net.:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fd:4ba:3614:b8c3:40c0(Preferred)
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4ba:3614:b8c3:40c0%2(Preferred)
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 318767104
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1E-E4-43-DD-C8-60-00-16-D4-57
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\Ryan>

Thanks for the ongoing help!

--Ryan

• Edited by DrPhantum Wednesday, July 27, 2016 3:04 AM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 2:56 AM
  • The suffix hsd1.pa.comcast.net could be a problem (I think I lost a few words in the networking FAQ).

Also the DNS server entries call potentially for trouble. Try to remove all besides the router (192.168.1.1). Otherwise name resolution will probably ask one of the 75.75... DNS servers for a machine named server.hsd1.pa.comcast.net, which will obviously fail, since DNS servers in the Internet have no knowledge about your private machines. If this is not possible, edit your hosts file.

You can force a ping to use the IP v4 address with

ping -4 server

You can only login with Administrator account on your WHS via RDP, if you never made unsupported changes before. If you can boot your box from USB, you have two options:

- perform a server reinstallation

- try to reset the password with a 3rd party tool such as the one behind the link.

Olaf

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 1:43 PM
  • I'm sorry...  can you dumb it down a little for me?

I don't know how to remove the parts that you want me to remove.  Can you go into more detail?  I changed my DNS servers option from "automatic" to "Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.1.1" but I still get  Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.pa.comcast.net .  Though, my DNS Server is now just 192.168.1.1 when I do an ipconfig /all. ... but I still can't use the connector software to see the WHS.   

Comcast is my internet service provider...  so I can temporarily "remove" references to it to get the SERVER recognized, but I'm going to want to restore the connection to the internet (assuming that removing hsd1.pa.comcast.net will be detrimental to my internet connection)

For what it's worth... I unchecked IPv6 on my ethernet adapter settings, and the connector software seemed to actually TRY to find my server (it searched for about 30sec) instead o the usual instant "Your server cannot be located" message I get when IPv6 is enabled.

Using the -4 switch in the ping did give me the right IP address of the server, so thanks for that tip.  

Also, I'm hesitant to do a server reinstallation or the password reset because the data on my server is extremely important to me (pictures, home movies, stuff you can't replace).  I can access all of the data shares, strangely, but I can't get the connector to install because it can't find the WHS (I mean, I downloaded it from the server, for goodness sake... what could the problem be?).  I want the connector installed so that I can coordinate backups/restores, and most importantly - to keep updated on drive space and disk health.

Thanks again for all the info... let me know if it's best to just reinstall windows 7 when it worked fine.  I'm not sure I love Windows 10 anyway...  it's too obviously a "mobile" OS and seems forced onto my desktop environment.

Thursday, July 28, 2016 5:30 AM
  • Also, I'm hesitant to do a server reinstallation or the password reset because the data on my server is extremely important to me (pictures, home movies, stuff you can't replace).  I can access all of the data shares, strangely, but I can't get the connector to install because it can't find the WHS (I mean, I downloaded it from the server, for goodness sake... what could the problem be?).  I want the connector installed so that I can coordinate backups/restores, and most importantly - to keep updated on drive space and disk health.

Thanks again for all the info... let me know if it's best to just reinstall windows 7 when it worked fine.  I'm not sure I love Windows 10 anyway...  it's too obviously a "mobile" OS and seems forced onto my desktop environment.

Did you reboot after changing the network config? The DNS suffix is usually found in the TCP/IP v4 properties of the network card on the DNS tab, unless the IP configuration is assigned via DHCP. In the properties of your network adapter you can also try to disable IP v6.

You can however try to edit the hosts file by adding a line containing the IP address of your server and your servers name.

The password reset tool is not dangerous for your data, a server reinstall is only, if you do not know what you do.

But if you write, there is stuff you can't replace you should seriously reconsider your backup concept. What happens, if there is overvoltage taking out all your devices? A malware attack? Fire, water, theft? Dead harddisk? You need at least 2 backups of your important stuff, and one should not be stored on the same place as your computer.

Eventually contact me via email for instructions, if you want me to look at your machine directly. But only after you have recovered your Administrator password, since connector install requires this password too.

Olaf

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:27 AM
  • I just reinstalled Win7, and I'm still having the same problem.  I did some more research, and I think the connector installation fails immediately and can't find the WHS because the "Software" shared folder is missing. See this link

I'm now trying to find a way to restore the Software share with the appropriate data in it... but I may have to do a reinstallation.  On that note, I know that my data is supposed to be safe when I do a server reinstallation... but this exact same thing burned me in the past.  It wasn't supposed to format my drives, but it did.  I lost EVERYTHING and it took me a looong time to reassemble everything.

If I'm paranoid about reinstalling WHS... can I remove the hard drives with my data first?  Then I know that they're not being formatted... but I also don't want them to be completely inaccessible or "format required" to access the drives again.  I have DrivePool installed on the WHS, which might complicate things, since it splits the data up.

Also...  I was just able to log in remotely (remembered the password!)  I did ipconfig /all on the server and got this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SERVER
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.pa.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C8-CB-B8-CC-3B-06
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f871:8f6c:1f0f:ab69%11(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.120(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 28, 2016 4:10:27 AM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, July 29, 2016 4:10:24 PM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 248040376
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-0F-55-A0-C8-CB-B8-CC-3B-06

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.76.76
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.hsd1.pa.comcast.net.:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

C:\Users\Administrator>

Thanks for the ongoing help!

Friday, July 29, 2016 6:49 AM
  • Hi,

Make sure that your client meets the requirements:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/network-connection-requirements-2(v=ws.11).aspx

Besides, disable IPv6 on both client and server sides, and check the result. Also, make sure that your client can successfully ping the IP address/FQDN of WHS.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 1, 2016 9:12 AM
  • For the software share: This was for Windows Home Server v.1 - not Windows Home Server 2011.

Can you check the event logs of the server for errors logged during the time of the failed attempt?

Btw.: You see again the DNS servers of your ISP as primary entry here. So the home server may also not find the client properly, since it also asks the DNS server authoritive for comcast.net for name resolution.

So if you try from the server

ping clientname

what does it show?

pinging clientname or pinging clientname.hsd1.pa.comcast.net?

Olaf

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 2:11 PM
  • Hello again...  I can successfully ping my client machine with both the IP and the computer name.  See below:

Pinging 192.168.1.118 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.118: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=128
    Reply from 192.168.1.118: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.118:
        Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 1ms

C:\Users\Administrator>ping ryan-pc

Pinging Ryan-PC [fe80::7ddd:1d34:3735:498d%11] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from fe80::7ddd:1d34:3735:498d%11: time<1ms
    Reply from fe80::7ddd:1d34:3735:498d%11: time=1ms

Ping statistics for fe80::7ddd:1d34:3735:498d%11:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

After disabling IPv6 on both sides, it just uses the IPv4 address in both cases (ping IP or ping computername).  Pinging from either end (cliet/server) are successful 100% of the time.  However... I've noticed that I have to log in every time I want to access the server shares, and it won't save my credentials.  When I had the connector installed, this was never an issue.

The bit about the "Software" share...  I now see that the thread was about WHSv1, not WHS2011... but maybe it's still valid?   Why else would everything work except the software?

@Eve...  I am sure I meet the credentials, because I ran the connector on this exact same hardware for years before I started having these problems.  I noticed after Win10 upgrade, but I didn't use/access the connector/dashboard very often, so it may have been earlier.  

This may also be a good time to mention that I have a shortcut for the Dashboard on the desktop of the SERVER machine (I can log in via RDP), but when I try to run it... I see the WHS2011 splash screen for about 20sec, and then it just disappears and never starts the program.  

I'm starting to consider doing a server restore...  but I'm really worried that I will lose all the data on my drives.  This has happened to me before.  I did a so-called server restore, and after it finished, all of my drives showed up as empty.  I have too many irreplaceable pictures and videos for that to happen.  What's the closest-to-guaranteed way of getting it to work without putting my data at risk?

Thanks,

Ryan

Monday, August 8, 2016 3:51 AM
  • If you have irreplaceable stuff on your server, it is not safe there anyway.

Disks may fail, server may break suddenly, malware may overwrite your stuff or youself, catastrophic events like flood, fire, overvoltage, theft still not mentioned.

For such stuff you need to have at least two solid backups (catastrophic incidents can happen also, while you just try to refresh your backup or you backup files already corrupted by malware), one ideally on a different place than your home.

Server reinstall is available in 2 modes: A server reinstall, which keeps the data, and a server installation, which is a factory reset.

Connector on Software share is a deployment method only on WHS v.1.

That the dashboard does not launch on the server, is indeed not a good sign. Please check the event log (especially application log and system log) for errors around the time of your failed start attempt, which may bring a bit light into the issue.

In the past sometimes installing a newer version of .NET Framework caused the WHS related web applications to fail.

Do you use any 3rd party security software on the client?
    Do you use Windows Home Groups on the client eventually?
    Is your network on the client set to a home or work network?

Olaf

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:38 AM