System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN failed because column 'MessageIdDupCheck' does not exist in table 'ActivityPointerBase'. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am having problems migrating a CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011. I am getting the following error

System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.UpgradeDatabaseAction failed. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN failed because column 'MessageIdDupCheck' does not exist in table 'ActivityPointerBase'.

My CRM 2011 is not updated with a rollup update(I already tried with the rollup update 5 and got the same error)

The CRM 4.0 has Rollup update 20.

I can see the SQL table ActivityPointerBase doesn’t have a MessageIdDupCheck field, however I checked other CRM 4.0 organizations and doesn’t have them neither.

The only difference I have is the CRM 4.0 was originally installed in Spanish language and I am trying to import it into a CRM 2011 installed in English.

Please let me know if you have any idea about how to deal with this error.

Thank you very much

Regards,
    Damian Sinay
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:02 AM

Answers

• Ok, I finally fixed this issue myself in a clean and easy way. I basically installed the Rollup Update 6 I downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=28712 and after applying this update I imported the organization again (without touching anything on the database related to the collation or anything). When importing the org I then got a new different error which was

“System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): The login already has an account under a different user name.”

I found the solution of this error in the following post http://serverfault.com/questions/277540/dynamic-crm-2011-import-organization-from-different-locale-fails-on-sqlexception

On my case it was the “NT AUTHORITY\Servicio De Red” the user I had to delete because my database backup was from a Spanish version.

After deleting that user and schema from the SQL/Security/Logins I imported the org successfully without any other errors!

Thanks Bhautik for all your help on this issue, but trying to change the collation of the database was a real pain and I never got it working, changing the database collation is not enough as there are columns and objects that still remain with the original collation and even though I tried to change it for most of the objects and columns I was always getting all different kind of errors. Also deploying everything SQL and CRM in Spanish was not an option for me as I had to move deployments from a Spanish company to a US company which already had CRM 2011 installed in English.

Regards,
    Damian Sinay
    • Marked as answer by Damian Sinay Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:13 AM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:12 AM

All replies

• Hi

I am not 100% sure, but you can try following method

• First set the SQL server (language and collation) of CRM 2011 on spanish language

I think, your issue is SQL Server collation conflict

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer". Many Thanks -Bhautik Desai xRM Technologies
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:38 AM
  • HI Bhautik,

Thank you for your reply, I have read there is not possible to change the SQL Server collation without a restart, and yes, I found there is a difference in the collation, I have changed the database collation to the server default but it looks there are other objects that were not affected with this change, I have tried to change each object but there are still objects that can’t find which already have the old collation. Now I am getting the following error in the deployment manager when trying to import the organization

Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "Modern_Spanish_CI_AI" and "Latin1_General_CI_AI" in the equal to operation.

Any ideas?

Regards,
    Damian Sinay
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 10:11 AM
  • Hi,

At this situation, I would recommend you to install the CRM 2011 on new server which server is on Spanish language. Anyway, we are not allowed to change any object on CRM Database. We are allowed to change some settings on SQL server but we are not allowed to change any objects on Database of CRM.

So, to avoid the complexity and mess situation I would suggest you to make whole environment on Spanish language and then import the database from CRM 4. DB backup

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer". Many Thanks -Bhautik Desai xRM Technologies
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:13 PM
  • Hi Damian,

Please check this thread,

http://www.andrewparisio.com/2011/05/installing-microsoft-dynamics-crm-2011.html

Regards,

Khaja Mohiddin|||||http://www.dynamicsexchange.com/
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Ok, I finally fixed this issue myself in a clean and easy way. I basically installed the Rollup Update 6 I downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=28712 and after applying this update I imported the organization again (without touching anything on the database related to the collation or anything). When importing the org I then got a new different error which was

“System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): The login already has an account under a different user name.”

I found the solution of this error in the following post http://serverfault.com/questions/277540/dynamic-crm-2011-import-organization-from-different-locale-fails-on-sqlexception

On my case it was the “NT AUTHORITY\Servicio De Red” the user I had to delete because my database backup was from a Spanish version.

After deleting that user and schema from the SQL/Security/Logins I imported the org successfully without any other errors!

Thanks Bhautik for all your help on this issue, but trying to change the collation of the database was a real pain and I never got it working, changing the database collation is not enough as there are columns and objects that still remain with the original collation and even though I tried to change it for most of the objects and columns I was always getting all different kind of errors. Also deploying everything SQL and CRM in Spanish was not an option for me as I had to move deployments from a Spanish company to a US company which already had CRM 2011 installed in English.

Regards,
    Damian Sinay
    • Marked as answer by Damian Sinay Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:13 AM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:12 AM