Can't remove dead drive from pool RRS feed

• Question

• Having searched here, the only similar thread I found was quite old so starting my own.

Hard drive died completely, and not recognised in the BIOS, so I've removed it. I'm now trying to remove it from the pool, but WHS disk mangement wizard fails saying an unknown error preventing it being removed.

I'm not too worried about data loss, duplication was on, (so hopefully my shared data will not be lost in this case), and I'm not concerned about losing a few computer backups.

Also getting error messages that the WHS backup service has stopped, and wonder if this is due to the missing disk?

WHS is fully up to date PP3 final and all MS updates.

It seems from the older thread here about this (circa 2007), that I can remove the disk from the pool by getting its volume ID and then remove all instances of it in the registry. I'm comfortable doing this if necessary, but would like up to date detailed intstructions if possible.

Thank you for any help.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:23 PM

Answers

• I was using the Disk Management tab to try and remove the drive, see my first post. I've just found that the Server Storage tab also has a disk removal wizard and that one worked and the drive is removed now. Put this down to me still finding my way around WHS and not very familiar with the console and where everything is yet.

Relief that no shares were lost, and all working again as it should be.
    • Marked as answer by btb65 Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:09 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:08 PM

All replies

• Likely the errors on the backup service are because of the missing disk.

Registry hacking is not recommended. I don't know any fool-proof way to do it.
    You're almost certainly better off doing a manual rebuild.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:35 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. If possible I'd prefer to get the drive remove wizard working. I've run whscleanup.exe from as talked about here...
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/f055ae26-2e18-4dcf-9b1c-9f5c0b96471f

...and after it completed there was no missing or damaged files. So duplication was working fine and alll my shares are intact. I'd prefer to manually remove the drive from the registry than to manually rebuild if I can do that.

The other option is to re-install. I've done this a couple of times, once when the OS got currupted by a faulty memory module, and once when changing the system disk. How would  re-install cope if one disk was missing from the original pool?

Could you run through how to manually rebuild? And if anyone has manually removed a drive I'd be happy to hear how you did it.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:41 AM
  • Can you submit a bug report on Connect, including logs from your server (collected using the Windows Home Server toolkit)? If the drive is "missing" in the console, you should have no trouble removing it, though you may be warned about loss of files or backups.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:02 PM
  • I was using the Disk Management tab to try and remove the drive, see my first post. I've just found that the Server Storage tab also has a disk removal wizard and that one worked and the drive is removed now. Put this down to me still finding my way around WHS and not very familiar with the console and where everything is yet.

Relief that no shares were lost, and all working again as it should be.
    • Marked as answer by btb65 Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:09 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:08 PM
  • Umm, your first post didn't mention that you were logging on to your server using remote desktop or physical KVM. I assumed you were using the Windows Home Server console application.

You should try to resist the temptation to log in to your server directly; it's not a supported way to use your server. Many of the problems users experience are a result of trying to treat Windows Home Server the same way they would a desktop operating system, which is dangerous for several reasons. First, a major source of instability in desktop operating systems is actually use as a desktop, and you really don't want your server to become unstable in a few months. Second, there are tools accessible through a desktop connection which can cause significant issues, including data loss. The Disk Management MMC snap-in (which you were using) is one of those tools.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:09 PM
  • I was using WHS console application, my mistake was that I was using the Disk Management tab, and not the Server Storage tab, both of which are on the WHS console.

But one lives and learns and I'm new to WHS and still learning. I'm unclear what you mean about an MMC snap-in. I was only ever using the WHS console application, and not using remote destop or logging into server directly.

EDIT TO ADD:

I think I see the misunderstanding now; the Disk Managemnet tab in the WHS console is an add-in. I didn't realise this at the time I was trying to remove the missing disk, as I added it so soon after installation I thought it was part of the original installation.

Lesson learnt and no harm done, and I do note your points about not treating the WHS like a desktop, worth remembering for the future, thank you.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:13 PM
  • I see this is an old thread but I've got the same problem and haven't been able to find an answer.

A data drive in my WHS server died.  As it was going flakey I told WHS (thru the server consol) to remove the drive.  WHS spent 36 hours moving data to another drive but in the end reported that it could not remove the drive because all the data had not been successfully moved.

Now the drive is completely dead and unresponsive.  Using WHS Consol I cannot get it out of the storage pool.  Keeps telling me it can't remove it until the data is transferred.  I have disconnected the drive and still cannot get it out of the pool

Any help would be appreciated.

Friday, June 24, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Disconnect the drive from your server, then remove it. And read this faq for information on what data may be at risk.
    Friday, June 24, 2011 11:41 PM