Problem copying files onto server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I am trying to copy a large batch of files (mainly word, excel, pdf files and about 6Gb worth) from my WinXP PC onto my WHS server but I keep getting the following error

"Cannot copy XXX: You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network. Go to System in Control Panel to change the computer name and try again."

Can anyone tell me what this means and how to possibly avoid it. The file XXX does not exist anywhere else.

Cheers

Jon T
    Jon
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 10:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Jon
    The message tells you what it thinks is wrong. Use Windows Explorer to check My Network Places/Entire Network/Microsoft Windows Network on your XP pc and look at the names of the machines it finds. It should show a duplicate name. Then change one of the machine's names.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, December 28, 2009 6:27 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jon T James Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:03 AM
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 2:42 PM
  • There are only 3 machines on the network and they all have different names

The network is called Netgear
    The WHS server is called server
    The PC is called HomePC
    and the laptop is called Jonslaptop

No duplicates

The files copy for around 45 seconds and then the error arises

Jon

Jon
    Monday, December 28, 2009 9:35 AM
  • Anyone got any idea as this is driving me crazy - I just cannot find any duplicate computer name, folder name, file name.

As above the files copy for around 45 seconds then the error arises but it does not always stop at the same place and even if I try copying different folders I still get the same error

Jon
    Jon
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:06 AM
  • Anyone got any idea as this is driving me crazy - I just cannot find any duplicate computer name, folder name, file name.

As above the files copy for around 45 seconds then the error arises but it does not always stop at the same place and even if I try copying different folders I still get the same error

Jon
    Jon
    Have you tried having only the server and 1 client on, then copy files and see if it works?  If not, try shutting down that client, then powering up a different one and copy files from it.
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 2:01 AM