Who says Vista is a flop???? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Vista has only been out in general consumer release for a month, but already Microsoft is touting it as the best-selling version of Windows ever released. The company announced that Vista sales—licenses sold to PC manufacturers, copies sold to retailers, and upgrades ordered through the Windows Vista Express Upgrade program—have exceeded 20 million copies. Microsoft says that this is represents a "more than doubling" of the initial pace of Windows XP sales, which reached only 17 million in January 2002, after two months on the market.

For complete info here is the source
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:58 PM

Answers

• Well it was natural to shoot up the sales because windows had released the new os after 5 years...
    Also the number of computers 5 years back were just 20% of the total computers rite now.. so if they say that vista sales have exceeded the initial sale of XP, they are just fooling us.. the conditions are not same as that 5 years back.. if the os was released just in the span of 1 or 2 years than the comparision would be valid.. not in 5 years span..

Also with the type of publicity they have put, it was bound to boost the sale.. but success depends on the customer satisfaction, which i think is not so much... the new vista has disappointed a lot of people...

Now say if the vista is a flop or not??
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 6:17 AM
  • I'm saying that Vista is a flop. The reason is that it still not has not got that much big customer base.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:23 PM
  • I agree with you sanket. Vista is a fop considered to WinXP Smile
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 6:01 PM
  •  Harshil_Patel_03b5f2 wrote:
    I agree with you sanket. Vista is a fop considered to WinXP

Yea.. . thats what i wanted to explain to you guys. . . Xp totally rules. ..
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:36 PM
  • XP is totally perfect . ..i guess. it would be good if we dig out something for Vista.. .
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 8:13 AM
  •  Paresh_Sen_3889e7 wrote:
    That's true. and it's  asking task to upgrade everything for a new OS.

yea . . . and the upgrade isn't not worth ... . . .  mc os. . are really good one's though costly. .. . ..

Saturday, April 14, 2007 4:00 AM
  • MS wants to promote Vista, theyhave also told the manufacturers to stop selling PCS with WINXP, so you will not get winxp anymore as OEM Stick out tongue and to give vista instead Smile
    Monday, April 16, 2007 2:57 PM
  • yea. . .. we are somuch into Xp that we simply cant get off... it. .. and to our surprise... . vista too isnt that apealing..
    Friday, April 20, 2007 3:27 AM
  • I agree with you Chetan.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 8:07 AM
  • hmn....
    Friday, April 27, 2007 1:06 PM
  • I will like to correct you over here a bit brother....
    After 98, XP was a big leap, where everything was changed... it was a great success because it fulfiled all our need and a great new experience...

Where as there were many hopes from Vista, but the first blow was the high hardware requirements by Vista.. then also it has not fullfiled all the desire as we were expecting many many more out of it, but didnt recieved it.....

Friday, April 27, 2007 2:26 PM
  • @varun

yea. . .dude. . .vista hasn't lived up to the expectations. .. .  but it really isn't that bad. ... c'mon if it would then MS would have thought twice before releasing it..

Saturday, April 28, 2007 5:06 AM
  •  Akshat_Gupta_0b4ff9 wrote:

If we talk about Vista progress in India , then it would be very difficult to say that

Vista will take over XP till end of 2007,

because the Hardware requirements alonee is a big issue for installing Vista,

which will not going to solve.... there are very few people who are going to change there processors for Vista only

"If Vista req. does  not include processor then surely it will became a hit very soon"...

yaar can you be more clear?

Saturday, April 28, 2007 5:16 AM
  •  Fredrick _Sahaya_2d3542 wrote:

Dear Friend,

Greetings, everbody will have their own angle. My comment is that VISTA is an good invention of the software industry.

Not reached fully because the same problem happens when windows 98 was there regarding windows XP.

Now in this modern age the comparison falls between Windows VISTA and Windows XP SP2.

Anyway I suppose it will be a great hit.

Regards,

yea... ....... sp2 + all the updates n patches...!! .. .u mean rt. .. vista can be a better OS after fixing all the bugs in it. .. .. it would be better with some reduction in da hardware config. .. . hope vienna will out par all the present OS's. .

Saturday, April 28, 2007 5:22 AM
  •  Varun_Modi_a59ed9 wrote:
    What is Vienna ??? can u put some more light on it???

vienna is the nest OS by MS

Sunday, April 29, 2007 12:42 PM
  • Well buddy i did some research on it and here is just a small piece of it.. now if its true what they are trying out on new file system.. its going to be a path breaking discovery.... just have a look..

WinFS is the code name of a Windows storage subsystem, being developed by Microsoft for use on its future Windows (c) Operating System. WinFS is a relational database located on NTFS and representing itself to the operating system as a file storage subsystem. The codename WinFS stands for Windows Future Storage.

WinFS intends to link the worlds of traditional relational databases, objects, XML, and file systems of unstructured documents with the concept of metadata over files. Instead of representing a file solely by directory path and filename, WinFS represents individual domain objects - e.g. images, e-mails, address book entries, and any kind of regular file - with indexed and searchable context and keyword information.

The underlying system is based on Microsoft SQL Server (c) database engine. WinFS provides access to data through both traditional file-based APIs, and new object-based approaches that take advantage of the new features. Applications that are not written to take advantage of WinFS can access the contents of a WinFS Store through a regular UNC path.

What they mean is that.. our current file system only stores bits and its by the extension that we give to the file, OS recognizes the files and programs interpret them.. but due to this, the transfer of data between different applications is difficult... but the new file system WINFS will store the type of file within itself, maintaining a relational database system.... so it will break all the obstacles....

Sunday, April 29, 2007 4:43 PM
  • thanks for the info. .. . guys provide more informative stuffs like this then i will surely mark you. . .
    Monday, April 30, 2007 8:59 PM

• Early Windows Longhorn & Windows Vista  WinFS Builds

WinFS made its first appearance as an optional component in the Windows "Longhorn" builds that Microsoft was producing internally through most of 2003. At the Microsoft Professional Developers Conference that year, the first build of "Longhorn" was given to developers. This became known as the "PDC Build", or Build 4051. The general consensus from developers and reviewers was that WinFS was unusable due to excessive memory requirements, unfriendly and under-documented developer API's, and no clear indication on how it was actually going to improve the day-to-day Windows user experience. In August 2004, Microsoft announced that WinFS would not ship with "Longhorn".

Latest Release and Future Development

After a full year of silence from Microsoft, WinFS Beta 1 was made available to MSDN Subscribers on August 29, 2005. (Beta 1 was refreshed with no new features on December 1, 2005 to be compatible with the final release of the .NET Framework v.2.0). Microsoft has a commitment to back-port WinFS to Windows XP and 2003, and to make it available as an installable component in the same way that the .NET Framework itself is. Beta 1 only supports Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

Beta 2 is planned for May 1, 2006. It will include integration with Windows Desktop Search, so that search results will include results from both regular NTFS files and WinFS-backed files.

A third Beta is planned for November, 2006.

The final release will most likely not be available until late 2007. The final release of WinFS will not be included with Vista and whether it will be included in Longhorn Server or not is not clear at this time.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 3:42 AM
    Very nice info varun. Looks like the MS team will want you to be in their project for this FS You have done great work .

yea.. . rightly said. . ..  he is very dedicated in finding us all the information we ask for. . .. keep it up mate. .

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 2:09 PM
  • Alright bro.. as you said I have started a new thread in Student Rockstar category, under the name
    "Windows Vienna - A New Hope"

I m not posting the link as it would not be nice to post my link in someone else thread...
    Please support me in the new thread...
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 6:29 PM
  • not a problem yaar. . . i think it is a good idea.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 7:26 PM
  • Indeed very good idea Smile
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 4:28 AM

All replies

• haha, nice infoo.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:15 AM
  • Well it was natural to shoot up the sales because windows had released the new os after 5 years...
    Also the number of computers 5 years back were just 20% of the total computers rite now.. so if they say that vista sales have exceeded the initial sale of XP, they are just fooling us.. the conditions are not same as that 5 years back.. if the os was released just in the span of 1 or 2 years than the comparision would be valid.. not in 5 years span..

Also with the type of publicity they have put, it was bound to boost the sale.. but success depends on the customer satisfaction, which i think is not so much... the new vista has disappointed a lot of people...

Now say if the vista is a flop or not??
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 6:17 AM
  • I'm saying that Vista is a flop. The reason is that it still not has not got that much big customer base.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:23 PM
  • Well i think that the new os vista was too much hyped.. due to it there were too many expectations from the people.. but it was not able to compete with the expectations..
    As for the customer base, i think that most of the people are still trying to first get the reviews regarding the new product..
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:30 PM
  • I agree with you sanket. Vista is a fop considered to WinXP Smile
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 6:01 PM
  • ya Harshil. That's the truth.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 6:41 PM
    I agree with you sanket. Vista is a fop considered to WinXP

Yea.. . thats what i wanted to explain to you guys. . . Xp totally rules. ..
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:36 PM
  • I am with u Harshil...
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:01 PM
  • So guys now start discussing the requirements thatz needed to improve Vista, the best would be to give the enhancements requiered in XP, so that we can compare it with Vista and come out with a better solution
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:32 AM
  • yes... u guys  r right...
    wat i feels if VISTA had to reach in each and every home lik
    XP does ....
    then it wil take more then a yr.. coz  System Configuration for VISTA is
    too much...
    most of the  ppl who hav PC has  to upgrade for installing VISTA..
    which is not possible for everyone.. 
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 7:42 AM
  • XP is totally perfect . ..i guess. it would be good if we dig out something for Vista.. .
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 8:13 AM
  • April 09, 2007 (Computerworld) -- Windows Vista users are complaining on Microsoft Corp.'s support forums about long start-up, shutdown and application load times compared with Windows XP.

The users, who sound pro-Vista for the most part, have vented about a variety of speed issues on Microsoft's Performance & Maintenance forum. "I have XP and Vista running side-by-side [but] I twiddle my thumbs waiting for certain apps to load up on the Vista machine while the load is instantaneous on the older XP machine," wrote a user identified as William. "I've tweaked it as best as I could with the info available and I am still very disappointed."

Wrote another user, Kris: "Recently I upgraded from XP to Vista [Home] Premium. When I start the laptop and I see the last BIOS info and Vista starts loading, then I have to wait a full 6 (six!) minutes before I can open my first application (for example Outlook or IE or whatever)."

Some accepted the slower speeds as the price of admission for getting the latest and greatest from Microsoft. Said Jon: "XP is undoubtedly quicker than Vista. I don't think there will be a way around that. You'll never get extra functionality, without some performance cost, assuming the same hardware."

Suggestions from other users, including some tagged as Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals, ranged from adding more RAM to running Vista's Performance Information and Tools control panel to diagnosing possible problems. Replies to such messages, however, typically claimed 2GB or more of memory, and said no problems were reported by the operating system.

Start-up and shutdown times were particularly grating to some users. "Takes about 10 minutes to boot, then 5 minutes after login before you can use it," said user Bengt. "If no improvement I have promised my family to return to XP. But I want Vista!"

One user had a worse tale to tell. Martin Racette wanted to know if it was normal that Vista took more than an hour to shut down and to restart.

Others, at least, kept a sense of humor. "I've compared it to a Commodore 64 loading programs from tape, but I think the Commodore was faster," said Steve Franks. "I'm currently writing this on my other PC, because nothing has happened on my Vista machine for about 15 minutes."

Users, software reviewers and some analysts have dinged Vista for its high-powered hardware requirements, and a (Computerworld) -- Windows Vista users are complaining on Microsoft Corp.'s support forums about long start-up, shutdown and application load times compared with Windows XP.

The users, who sound pro-Vista for the most part, have vented about a variety of speed issues on Microsoft's Performance & Maintenance forum. "I have XP and Vista running side-by-side [but] I twiddle my thumbs waiting for certain apps to load up on the Vista machine while the load is instantaneous on the older XP machine," wrote a user identified as William. "I've tweaked it as best as I could with the info available and I am still very disappointed."

Wrote another user, Kris: "Recently I upgraded from XP to Vista [Home] Premium. When I start the laptop and I see the last BIOS info and Vista starts loading, then I have to wait a full 6 (six!) minutes before I can open my first application (for example Outlook or IE or whatever)."

Some accepted the slower speeds as the price of admission for getting the latest and greatest from Microsoft. Said Jon: "XP is undoubtedly quicker than Vista. I don't think there will be a way around that. You'll never get extra functionality, without some performance cost, assuming the same hardware."

Suggestions from other users, including some tagged as Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals, ranged from adding more RAM to running Vista's Performance Information and Tools control panel to diagnosing possible problems. Replies to such messages, however, typically claimed 2GB or more of memory, and said no problems were reported by the operating system.

Start-up and shutdown times were particularly grating to some users. "Takes about 10 minutes to boot, then 5 minutes after login before you can use it," said user Bengt. "If no improvement I have promised my family to return to XP. But I want Vista!"

One user had a worse tale to tell. Martin Racette wanted to know if it was normal that Vista took more than an hour to shut down and to restart.

Others, at least, kept a sense of humor. "I've compared it to a Commodore 64 loading programs from tape, but I think the Commodore was faster," said Steve Franks. "I'm currently writing this on my other PC, because nothing has happened on my Vista machine for about 15 minutes."

Users, software reviewers and some analysts have dinged Vista for its high-powered hardware requirements, and a lawsuit filed last week took that very tack.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 8:47 AM
  • The first and foremost trouble with vista is the higher Hardware configuration required to run vista... Vista should have enhanced the capability of the current hardwares instead it requires a higer configuration...
    Now some say that vista is originally made for 64 bit corporate use.. Than why is the home edition so heavy on the hardware??? There must be a solution to it..
    Like Linux, vista should have a option of what all facilities one wants to have, so according to the hardware, the user can set his own choices, this will boost up the OS performance...
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:45 PM
  • That's true. and it's  asking task to upgrade everything for a new OS.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 6:19 AM
  •  Paresh_Sen_3889e7 wrote:
    That's true. and it's  asking task to upgrade everything for a new OS.

yea . . . and the upgrade isn't not worth ... . . .  mc os. . are really good one's though costly. .. . ..

Saturday, April 14, 2007 4:00 AM
  • well sales are good dosent mean that the os is a hit.........
    Monday, April 16, 2007 9:25 AM
  • MS wants to promote Vista, theyhave also told the manufacturers to stop selling PCS with WINXP, so you will not get winxp anymore as OEM Stick out tongue and to give vista instead Smile
    Monday, April 16, 2007 2:57 PM
  • Ok, now tell me the solutions to the VISTA problem.. what do you suggest to improve it???
    Monday, April 16, 2007 3:28 PM
  • vista is popular because of its graphics improvements and not its security improvements. To use vista aero graphics, one must have a graphics card with at least shader model 2.0 which is not yet common in general indian market.

XP works fine for me. I can improve my xp security by adding some third party tools. Can anybody suggest even a single reason why I should purchase vista?

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:56 AM
  • You can wait a while either for better hardware or go with existing with some overhead............
    Tuesday, April 17, 2007 10:49 AM
  • no dear its not flop but its hardware req is to much
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 6:47 AM
  • I agree with you Jabed, its only the hardware requirements that are more. And people want to use aero with the existing hardware, which is impossible. hence they think that vista is a flop Smile

Guys MS took about 5Years to develop, it just cannt be a flop.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 3:42 PM
  • That is the main problem... everyone is saying 5 years 5 years.... Watz a big deal...
    Vista is just upgradation of XP, I had a look at it recently and i can say that it is not as great as it was having XP after Windows 2000... That was the biggest Success of all time...
    But I didnt saw anything very eye catching in Vista... Most of the people dont want The graphical experience like Aero and dont have 3d cards...
    What else did you found exciting in Vista???
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 4:25 PM
  • I dont think anything else other than the graphics and the integration of all things with LIVE is good.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 5:31 PM
  • u  cant say that it is upgradation of xp it is copy of linux. only annimation is there nothing more
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 5:41 AM
  • No friend... Lot of them VISTA... due to its requirements that can not be used by some peoples... If any one buys new system only can installing VISTA otherwise they don't installing VISTA.... so this is the main  draw back......
        anyhow....... VISTA is BEST....
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 6:27 AM
  • I agree with you m8, Even i love vista. But i still feel that XP is the best Smile May be that can be a psychological thing.
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 7:19 AM
  • I had heard before that Vista was made from scratch... But i find it as an upgradation of XP..
    I also recieved the Ubuntu CD recently.. tried it out.. its good too.. but no way Vista is near to Linux... There are a lot of traces from XP in Vista.... Now i m not able to determine what they did in 5 years...
    I saw only graphical interface change and More security... thatz it... and also the graphical interface has not been changed so drastically....The real change was at the time of XP from 2000....

One thing i though noticed was that they have erased the top menu system from most of the places....
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 8:30 AM
  • yea. . .. we are somuch into Xp that we simply cant get off... it. .. and to our surprise... . vista too isnt that apealing..
    Friday, April 20, 2007 3:27 AM
  • I agree with you Chetan.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 8:07 AM
  • hmn....
    Friday, April 27, 2007 1:06 PM
  • Dear Friend,

Greetings, everbody will have their own angle. My comment is that VISTA is an good invention of the software industry.

Not reached fully because the same problem happens when windows 98 was there regarding windows XP.

Now in this modern age the comparison falls between Windows VISTA and Windows XP SP2.

Regards,

Friday, April 27, 2007 2:03 PM
  • I will like to correct you over here a bit brother....
    After 98, XP was a big leap, where everything was changed... it was a great success because it fulfiled all our need and a great new experience...

Where as there were many hopes from Vista, but the first blow was the high hardware requirements by Vista.. then also it has not fullfiled all the desire as we were expecting many many more out of it, but didnt recieved it.....

Friday, April 27, 2007 2:26 PM
  • If we talk about Vista progress in India , then it would be very difficult to say that

which will not going to solve.... there are very few people who are going to change there processors for Vista only

If Vista req. does  not include processor then surely it will became a hit very soon...

Friday, April 27, 2007 3:02 PM
  • @varun

yea. . .dude. . .vista hasn't lived up to the expectations. .. .  but it really isn't that bad. ... c'mon if it would then MS would have thought twice before releasing it..

Saturday, April 28, 2007 5:06 AM
  •  Akshat_Gupta_0b4ff9 wrote:

If we talk about Vista progress in India , then it would be very difficult to say that

"If Vista req. does  not include processor then surely it will became a hit very soon"...

yaar can you be more clear?

Saturday, April 28, 2007 5:16 AM
  •  Fredrick _Sahaya_2d3542 wrote:

Dear Friend,

Regards,

yea... ....... sp2 + all the updates n patches...!! .. .u mean rt. .. vista can be a better OS after fixing all the bugs in it. .. .. it would be better with some reduction in da hardware config. .. . hope vienna will out par all the present OS's. .

Saturday, April 28, 2007 5:22 AM
  • What is Vienna ??? can u put some more light on it???
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 12:13 PM
  • Its a new upcoming OS from Microsoft.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 2:34 PM
  • Well I searched a bit about it, and found that microsoft has started working on the next OS, named Vienna.... Now the new thing will be voice controlled operations, touch screen integrated functions. and lot like this...
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 4:40 PM
  • And obviously more hardware requirements Smile i guess it will also implement the new FileSystem in it, which was going to be implemented in vista Smile
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 7:17 PM
  •  Varun_Modi_a59ed9 wrote:
    What is Vienna ??? can u put some more light on it???

vienna is the nest OS by MS

Sunday, April 29, 2007 12:42 PM
    And obviously more hardware requirements i guess it will also implement the new FileSystem in it, which was going to be implemented in vista

yea.. . .guys any idea about the new file type?

Sunday, April 29, 2007 12:46 PM
  • Yes Even I want to know about the new File system... I thought they were going to implement the new file system in Vista, but looks like it didnt happened... Can someone put more light on this topic...
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 1:15 PM
  • The new file system i think called the Windows File System, was going to be implemented in vista. But if it was implemented, it would have even more delayed the launch of Vista. as Vista was already lagging, it MS decided to skip it in vista.

May be someone can do some research and put what all features it would have.
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 4:11 PM
  • Well buddy i did some research on it and here is just a small piece of it.. now if its true what they are trying out on new file system.. its going to be a path breaking discovery.... just have a look..

WinFS is the code name of a Windows storage subsystem, being developed by Microsoft for use on its future Windows (c) Operating System. WinFS is a relational database located on NTFS and representing itself to the operating system as a file storage subsystem. The codename WinFS stands for Windows Future Storage.

WinFS intends to link the worlds of traditional relational databases, objects, XML, and file systems of unstructured documents with the concept of metadata over files. Instead of representing a file solely by directory path and filename, WinFS represents individual domain objects - e.g. images, e-mails, address book entries, and any kind of regular file - with indexed and searchable context and keyword information.

The underlying system is based on Microsoft SQL Server (c) database engine. WinFS provides access to data through both traditional file-based APIs, and new object-based approaches that take advantage of the new features. Applications that are not written to take advantage of WinFS can access the contents of a WinFS Store through a regular UNC path.

What they mean is that.. our current file system only stores bits and its by the extension that we give to the file, OS recognizes the files and programs interpret them.. but due to this, the transfer of data between different applications is difficult... but the new file system WINFS will store the type of file within itself, maintaining a relational database system.... so it will break all the obstacles....

Sunday, April 29, 2007 4:43 PM
  • Good research Varun.
    Thanks for taking time and helping us Smile
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Yes, its good Varun
    Sunday, April 29, 2007 6:55 PM
  • thanks for the info. .. . guys provide more informative stuffs like this then i will surely mark you. . .
    Monday, April 30, 2007 8:59 PM

• A traditional file system, such as FAT or NTFS, has its contents organized in a hierarchal directory structure and is relatively slow in searching the content by particular attributes. If you organize your pictures in folders “by Dates” – there would be no way to access them “by Persons”, “by Events” etc… You are to use third party custom software like Adobe PhotoAlbum (c) to perform this task.

WinFS overcomes the hierarchy and "flattens" the storage of individual files (i.e. there is no "hierarchy" based on directory and file names), and it enables searching for items by their attributes (like date the photograph was taken, who or what is in the picture, what camera was used to take the picture, etc).

WinFS also extends this idea beyond the kinds of information that have been traditionally stored as files on a file system. WinFS can understand any arbitrary set of data, such as a "Photo" or an "Email" or a "Calendar". Applications today must store these kinds of information in their own custom database; if other applications want to gain access to this information, it's quite a lot of work because there is no application-neutral storage mechanism for this kind of information.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 3:21 AM

• WinFS is not a physical file system; it is built on top of NTFS, and NTFS will remain as the default file system.

WinFS is based on SQL Server and its core feature is to provide a data relations mechanism. This means that your pictures are related to dates, events, and persons and so on. This allows you to perform a search such as "All pictures of Joe taken the last month". This query is not possible for a traditional file system such as NTFS, but will be a trivial part of WinFS. In reality, WinFS stores are simply SQL Server database files (.mdf files) with the FILESTREAM feature enabled. These files are stored in secured folder named "System Volume Information" placed into the volume root, in folders under the folder "WinFS" with names of GUIDs of these stores.

Have a look at this picture :-

http://www.ntfs.com/images/winfs_ntfs.gif

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 3:32 AM

• From a technology standpoint, WinFS is made up of five components:

Core WinFS

Core WinFS is made up of the core services that you would expect from a file system. Think of Core WinFS as the fundamentals, which includes operations and file system services. Some examples here are security, manageability, Win32 file access support, import/export, quotas, and so on.

Data Model

Moving beyond the core services, the Data Model provides some of the technical innovations including the basic item structure, relationships, and the ability to extend both items and relationships.

Schemas

Without built-in schemas, WinFS would be no better than the existing file system, since WinFS would not understand your data in richer ways or provide a more structured way to handle your data's metadata. WinFS schemas include schemas for your everyday information such as documents, e-mail, appointments, tasks, media, audio video, and more. WinFS also includes system schemas that include configuration, programs, and other system-related data.

Services

Synchronization and rules fall into the services area of WinFS. These technologies "sit on top" of WinFS to provide you with capabilities that extend beyond the fundamentals of the system. Synchronization will enable you to synchronize WinFS systems across a network, as well as build synchronization adapters to synchronize WinFS to other systems. For example, you may want to synchronize contact information from your CRM system to WinFS so that you can relate that data to other data in WinFS or work with that data offline through WinFS. Synchronization adapters can be bi-directional, so any changes made to the data in WinFS can be synchronized back to the other partner system.

APIs

As a developer, you write to APIs. WinFS includes a rich API that is part of the overall WinFX programming model in Longhorn. Through the WinFS API, you can program the different building blocks of the WinFS system including data operations, rules, synchronization, and the data model. The API that will provide programmatic access is being coded in C# or Managed C++, so .NET applications can access it, but the actual base code that will execute the functions of WinFS is coded written in C++. This is to provide WinFS with access to the Kernel of the operating system which in turn provides root access to disk management API’s which are part of NTFS.

Picutre :-

http://www.ntfs.com/images/winfs_technology.gif

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 3:35 AM

• Early Windows Longhorn & Windows Vista  WinFS Builds

WinFS made its first appearance as an optional component in the Windows "Longhorn" builds that Microsoft was producing internally through most of 2003. At the Microsoft Professional Developers Conference that year, the first build of "Longhorn" was given to developers. This became known as the "PDC Build", or Build 4051. The general consensus from developers and reviewers was that WinFS was unusable due to excessive memory requirements, unfriendly and under-documented developer API's, and no clear indication on how it was actually going to improve the day-to-day Windows user experience. In August 2004, Microsoft announced that WinFS would not ship with "Longhorn".

Latest Release and Future Development

After a full year of silence from Microsoft, WinFS Beta 1 was made available to MSDN Subscribers on August 29, 2005. (Beta 1 was refreshed with no new features on December 1, 2005 to be compatible with the final release of the .NET Framework v.2.0). Microsoft has a commitment to back-port WinFS to Windows XP and 2003, and to make it available as an installable component in the same way that the .NET Framework itself is. Beta 1 only supports Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

Beta 2 is planned for May 1, 2006. It will include integration with Windows Desktop Search, so that search results will include results from both regular NTFS files and WinFS-backed files.

A third Beta is planned for November, 2006.

The final release will most likely not be available until late 2007. The final release of WinFS will not be included with Vista and whether it will be included in Longhorn Server or not is not clear at this time.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 3:42 AM
  • Very nice info varun. Looks like the MS team will want you to be in their project for this FS Smile You have done great work .
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 4:51 AM
    Very nice info varun. Looks like the MS team will want you to be in their project for this FS You have done great work .

yea.. . rightly said. . ..  he is very dedicated in finding us all the information we ask for. . .. keep it up mate. .

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 2:09 PM
  • Thankz for the motivation brothers... I really appreciate it
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 4:03 PM
  • Varun you did good work Smile But whats the conclusion of this thread ? I think we are going offtrack Smile
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 4:55 PM
  • Yes you are right... Get Back to the topic...

Lets start of with what we want in VIENA...
    I think that having a OS which would recognize voice, run voice commands would be great... Specially for the blind people... This will create a whole new market... also security wise.. it is a great idea...

What do you suggest more in VIENA???
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 5:22 PM
  • I think its better to start a new thread about Windows Vienna
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 5:27 PM
  • Alright bro.. as you said I have started a new thread in Student Rockstar category, under the name
    "Windows Vienna - A New Hope"

I m not posting the link as it would not be nice to post my link in someone else thread...
    Please support me in the new thread...
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 6:29 PM
  • not a problem yaar. . . i think it is a good idea.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 7:26 PM
  • Indeed very good idea Smile
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 4:28 AM
  • yah i am agree with ur point, vista has been floped in the market with the respect to the WinXP
    Wednesday, May 2, 2007 7:38 PM