WHS Backup issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I'm new to WHS.  I've successful set up the OEM version of the system (obtained from MSDN) and have the server running.  I've run update and WHS is now running power pack 2.  I've added 1 user to the server and installed the connector on my test machine. 

I'm able to use the console from the test machine and view the shared folders on the server. However, when I try to run a backup, it hangs at 0% with the message 'A backup has started'.

I've run chkdsk on my test machine and found no errors.  I've even tried the WHS connector trouble shooter v1.1.  It tells me my connector doesn't match the version of WHS.  I've uninstalled the connector and reinstalled with the one on the server.  The trouble shoot still says I have have the wrong version.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Is there a different connector for PP2 and if so where can I find it?
    2. Is this what is causing my backup to hang and if not how do I trouble shoot this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 12:08 AM

Answers

• Hi.  I'm new to WHS.  I've successful set up the OEM version of the system (obtained from MSDN) and have the server running.  I've run update and WHS is now running power pack 2.  I've added 1 user to the server and installed the connector on my test machine. 

I'm able to use the console from the test machine and view the shared folders on the server. However, when I try to run a backup, it hangs at 0% with the message 'A backup has started'.

I've run chkdsk on my test machine and found no errors.  I've even tried the WHS connector trouble shooter v1.1.  It tells me my connector doesn't match the version of WHS.  I've uninstalled the connector and reinstalled with the one on the server.  The trouble shoot still says I have have the wrong version.

So I have 2 questions:

No.  That message is a known issue.  You can ignore it.

2. Is this what is causing my backup to hang and if not how do I trouble shoot this?

How long did you wait to see if your backup would start?  Did you look at the event logs on your client to see if there is anything there?  Also, there are WHS logs at C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs that may help.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 5:38 AM
  • ..]  I've even tried the WHS connector trouble shooter v1.1.  It tells me my connector doesn't match the version of WHS.

Rich,
    As Kariya suggested, check the logfiles and eventlist first to look for some clue on what is causing your problem. As the connector troubleshooter complains about the version, personally I would check the product version of the file WHSConnector.exe at X:\Program Files\Windows Home Server (it should list version 6.0.2030.2).

If not:
    * Uninstall the client connector and remove any left-overs from X:\Program Files\Windows Home Server.
    * Restart the server.
    * Restart the client.
    * Try reinstalling from http://server:55000/
    * If you have not done so: check the client's backup configuration from the "Computers & Backup"  tab in the Windows Home Server console.
    * Start a backup of the client (wait long enough until it eighter indicates progress, or failure?)

-Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:19 PM

All replies

So I have 2 questions:

No.  That message is a known issue.  You can ignore it.

How long did you wait to see if your backup would start?  Did you look at the event logs on your client to see if there is anything there?  Also, there are WHS logs at C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs that may help.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 5:38 AM
  • ..]  I've even tried the WHS connector trouble shooter v1.1.  It tells me my connector doesn't match the version of WHS.

Rich,
    As Kariya suggested, check the logfiles and eventlist first to look for some clue on what is causing your problem. As the connector troubleshooter complains about the version, personally I would check the product version of the file WHSConnector.exe at X:\Program Files\Windows Home Server (it should list version 6.0.2030.2).

If not:
    * Uninstall the client connector and remove any left-overs from X:\Program Files\Windows Home Server.
    * Restart the server.
    * Restart the client.
    * Try reinstalling from http://server:55000/
    * If you have not done so: check the client's backup configuration from the "Computers & Backup"  tab in the Windows Home Server console.
    * Start a backup of the client (wait long enough until it eighter indicates progress, or failure?)

-Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:19 PM