none
Becoming an MVP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I would like to become an MVP from one year down the line.I am completely new to this and would like to know the steps and process one should take to become an MVP.

Thanks

Senthil

Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Senthil ,

Here is your answer.

http://zahirshahblog.com/2010/05/31/31-may-2010-2252/

Regards.

Shafaquat Ali.

M.C.I.T.P Exchange 2007/2010, M.C.I.T.P Windows Server 2008, M.C.T.S OCS Server 2007 R2
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:26 AM
  • Just to add on to Shafaquat's response, after a while if you don't find yourself nominated by anyone else, feel free to nominate yourself. Just follow the same process of nominaing someone else.

Hope this is helpful.

Rubel Khan - MY BLOG!
    If your question was truly answered, please mark it as Answered and Vote as helpful. Thank you in advance.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Senthil ,

Here is your answer.

http://zahirshahblog.com/2010/05/31/31-may-2010-2252/

Regards.

Shafaquat Ali.

M.C.I.T.P Exchange 2007/2010, M.C.I.T.P Windows Server 2008, M.C.T.S OCS Server 2007 R2
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:26 AM
  • Hi Shafaquat,

Thanks for the information. Still have a few questions running over my head.

a.How does the process work in detail(it is still little vague to me). The first step for an MVP aspirant is to go through forums/blogs and etc and assist others but how does one move from there?

b.Should i need to nominate myself and apply for an MVP or someone should nominate for an MVP, If it is someone should nominate (what is the requirements/eligibility) of that person to nominate me for MVP?

c.What are the exact eligibilty criteria?

Thanks

Senthil

Thursday, July 8, 2010 10:22 AM
  • Hi ,

A. When you will start blogging or even participate in local forums so you will automatically monitored by the team dont worry about it also your local Microsoft Innovation Center can help you more on it.

B. You dont need to nominate yourself even after some time if you will work well on fourms and also blogging good stuff for others so you will get an email from MVP team that you are nominated for MVP award also I want to let you know that its not a certificate it Award.

When you will nominated it does not mean that you have got an MVP its mean they will consider you to be an MVP also there would be some other peoples who will in competition than 1 would be the MVP from all of them.

Regards.

Shafaquat Ali.

• Proposed as answer by Shafaquat Ali Thursday, July 8, 2010 10:31 AM
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 10:30 AM
  • Just to add on to Shafaquat's response, after a while if you don't find yourself nominated by anyone else, feel free to nominate yourself. Just follow the same process of nominaing someone else.

Hope this is helpful.

Rubel Khan - MY BLOG!
    If your question was truly answered, please mark it as Answered and Vote as helpful. Thank you in advance.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:23 PM
  • This is one of the questions that most are performed by IT professionals who work with Microsoft products around the world. The Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) was established in early 1990 and is a way to recognize the professionals who book a good deal of their time to assist the community in general. It is not something you can study or certification you should conduct an examination. Remember that the spirit of a volunteer is one of the strongest points for anyone who is an MVP, because this person really makes the community more participatory, changing the way we think of other professionals.

Many people do questions like "I'm MCSE and MCITP, now how do I become an MVP?". The first point to remember is that the title of MVP is not a certification but an award for recognition. The nomination process occurs every three months (January, April, July, October) and who gets that title will have a period of 12 months with this credential. After this year, the Microsoft team will meet and assess their performance as MVP in that period, deciding whether you should continue or not in the program.

The title of MVP is provided in several categories and technologies. The Microsoft product team will assess your knowledge and contribution in the community, and so they really assess what its contribution is vital and important ... you will become an MVP! It is interesting to focus on the professionals who are MVP are not in any way, Microsoft employees. They are totally independent, with different views and perspectives, with the full permission to put forward their point of view within Microsoft technical communities.

The first step to becoming an MVP is to identify a technology that you possess more knowledge and focus its development on it. As mentioned earlier, be a professional with good technical knowledge is a vital point, not to mention the title of MVP is provided by individual categories. You may very well be an MVP in Exchange or SQL Server. Therefore you should create a special focus on these products to increase your chances of getting this title as desired.

Come to the points needed to become an MVP.

*** Steps to be a MVP ***

Sharing knowledge is a key point for anyone who wants to be an MVP. According to my experience, IT professionals use the methods below to share this experience and knowledge they possess.

1) Technical Forums. This is the main location where users discuss Microsoft technologies. Here you will find a little of everything, such as technical questions, queries, reviews, discussions, among other factors. Technical forums are one of the main points to become an MVP in a future, because their knowledge is being shared and many professionals will thank you for the assistance you provided for them.

There are several technical forums today. However, the best known are still the Technet, MSDN, Answers, Expression, etc.. But nothing prevents you to participate in independent forums, or outside of Microsoft. The team responsible for appointing MVP's also performs the monitoring of its aid to other communities outside of Microsoft. So the really important is helping others, be it wherever you go.

2) Blogs / Website. I believe that I should not explain the importance of having a blog in the current scenario, because until the vast majority of you already have one. However, a point I'd like to expose their importance here is the following ... the action of having a blog is not just share your thoughts and comments. You should focus on providing solutions for professionals, such as the provision of lines of code for a given task, technical articles, case studies, solution implementation, etc.. This will greatly assist in the evaluation of their knowledge. Furthermore, it is always important you have your own blog! However, if you do not have much time to keep, you may very well write their articles on major portals. This way you can be sure that their knowledge and contribution will be used by many professionals around the world.

3) Be active in a technical community. It is quite common in today's diverse professionals who are relatively good in a particular technology come together to form a strong community on this subject. This participation is excellent for evaluation during an appointment for new MVP's. These groups are constantly performing face events such as lectures for example. If you sign this event along with the Microsoft team through the CEA (Community Action), Microsoft will track your contribution and this will give you good points for being an MVP in the future.

4) Book Author. There are many people who really like to write and could easily write a book about a particular technology. And oddly enough, the process to write a book is not a complicated thing today. The amount of material available in Portuguese is very small and several record companies urgently seek people who want to publish books in the IT field. Remember that you can also write technical articles, webcasts, podcasts, among other means to share their knowledge. This kind of material will help you a lot in the appointment process for new MVP's.

Well folks, these points are just some examples that I remember which may assist you in your path to achieve the coveted title of MVP. Remember that the main focus is to share knowledge, because it is the basis of everything. Become potential candidates for MVP are recommended by other MVP's and Microsoft-specific teams that really have the opinion that this person is essential to the community. Do not forget ... to study and share knowledge. When you least expect it, the title of MVP is knocking at your door!

One big hug to everyone =)

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 3:18 PM