selectively backup a few accounts RRS feed

• Question

• 1. I am using Microsoft Money Plus Sunset V17 on a windows 7 platform.

I have been using it for more than 10 accounts in one computer. I want to split a few accounts to another computer so that the job is given to the second person who will maintain only those two accounts. Presently all are backed up in one file. 

Is it possible to backup a few specific accounts alone so that such backup file can be restored in the second computer and carried on.

If Some expert guides me on this, I will be grateful.

2. Are there any tips given by the experts to help the users to effectively use this software?

pscraja@gmail.com

Sunday, August 23, 2020 6:44 PM

All replies

• A good resource for how to do things in Money is this site:

http://moneymvps.org/faq/default.aspx

It's not a tutorial, but there are lots of questions with detailed answers.

As to your specific question about splitting up accounts, you can export one or more accounts in qif format, create a new Money file, and import the accounts to that file.  The process is described here:

http://moneymvps.org/faq/article/28.aspx

You need to consider is how you handle the situation where you have transfers between the accounts and whether you want to delete the account from your existing Money file after it is transferred or just mark it Closed.

Bill Becker

Sunday, August 23, 2020 11:18 PM
  • 1. I am using Microsoft Money Plus Sunset V17 on a windows 7 platform.

I have been using it for more than 10 accounts in one computer. I want to split a few accounts to another computer so that the job is given to the second person who will maintain only those two accounts. Presently all are backed up in one file. 

Is it possible to backup a few specific accounts alone so that such backup file can be restored in the second computer and carried on.

You could export those few accounts as extended QIF. and import as recovered accounts all at once into a new Money file on the new computer.  

When you create a new Money file, specify there be no password or a conventional password. Do not take the defaults for that.

Monday, August 24, 2020 12:13 AM
  •  Dear Mr. Bill,

Thank you very much for your advice. I hope my question is answered.

psc raja

Wednesday, August 26, 2020 4:18 AM
  • Dear Moderator,

Thank you for your reply.

pscraja@gmail.com

Wednesday, August 26, 2020 8:26 AM