32bit DLL getting compiled for 64 bit application despite Library directories pointing to 64 bit versions of the DLL RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to convert a 32bit application to 64 bit and I've finally gotten rid of all the linker errors but now my application crashes on launch and research informed me to check dlls with dependency walker which among a few other errors does show my 64 bit app using 32bit DLLs. 

However the confusing part for me is that I'm pointing to the 64bit folders for the dll that is being created on compile as 32 bit and I don't know why. I even double checked the dll in the Win64 folder and it is a 64 bit DLL but every time it compiles it into 32. 

My Properties for the project indicate it is in fact pointing to the win64 folder containing the right dll. 

Confused. 

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 7:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Profesorglou, 

Thank you for posting here.

>> I even double checked the dll in the Win64 folder and it is a 64 bit DLL but every time it compiles it into 32.

Could you provide more information about your ‘Win64 folder’?

I find that the 'System32' folder is for 64-bit files and the 'SysWOW64' folder is for 32-bit files.

Here are two references.

1. Windows 64-bit:The 'Program Files (x86)' and 'SysWOW64' folders explained
    2. File System Redirector

Hope them could be helpful.

Besides, if I have any misunderstanding, please provide more details about your question.

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 1, 2020 7:55 AM
  • The dlls in question are not windows dlls they are thirdparty dlls. 

As you can see here 
    https://gyazo.com/10b5d9a4c14b1638ddd677e7b4c5b4eb
    What confuses me is that the dlls I ref for the properties of my project are in fact the 64bit version yet they compile as 32bit and cause my application to crash. 

Happy New Year btw and thanks for responding. 
    Wednesday, January 1, 2020 4:14 PM
  • When these are the dll's: openvrsimplexamples
    I don't find a x64 configuration in the project file.

Why are you asking in a Visual C# on how to compile native dll's?
    Wednesday, January 1, 2020 5:56 PM
  • OH didn't even notice. Can a mod move it to the appropriate section? 

I've made an x64 configuration. 
    Wednesday, January 1, 2020 6:25 PM
  • Hi Profesorglou,

Thanks for your feedback.

I have moved the thread to Where is the Forum for? forum to help you find the correct forum that can give you more help. 

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 2, 2020 5:56 AM
  • Might try asking for help over here.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues

or in forum for the language you're using.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?category=vslanguages

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 2, 2020 1:51 PM