Win7 upgrade with new mobo RRS feed

• Question

• My school was offering upgrades for Win7 relatively cheaply.  I installed the upgrade, but I am thinking of upgrading my motherboard.  Will my OEM Product Key allow me to reinstall and activate Win7 with a new motherboard?
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 2:30 AM

Answers

• Hello Anonymouse7261,

The answer to your question depends on what  type of Licensing the Windows 7 is under (Retail or OEM).  

OEM Licensing Terms for Windows only allow the Windows to run on the first PC it was installed on.  In addition, a unique PC is determined by the Motherboard. Meaning changing out a Motherboard makes that PC (as far as Licensing is concerned) a new unique PC.

Retail Licensing Terms normally allow the Windows to be moved from on PC to another with the only restriction being that the Windows is install on only one PC at a time.

As far as I am aware, Upgrade version of Windows 7 only come as Retail, not OEM. 
    (I could be wrong in this since there could be some sort specal OEM Licensing for schools that I'm just not aware of...Please see the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for the licensing terms specific to your software). 

If you upgrade a PC from a Vista OEM using a Windows 7 Retail Upgrade, your resulting License will be Retail.

So, in your situation, if your Windows 7 Upgrade is Retail Licensed (and the Windows currently on your PC is OEM Licensed), then I recommend holding off on changing the Motherboard till after you Upgrade to a Retail License.

I hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    Monday, February 1, 2010 8:06 PM

All replies

• Anonymous7261 wrote:
    > My school was offering upgrades for Win7 relatively cheaply. I installed the
    > upgrade, but I am thinking of upgrading my motherboard. Will my OEM Product Key
    > allow me to reinstall and activate Win7 with a new motherboard?

Probably not. (Oh, you could use the retail Win7 Upgrade, but you'd
    first haver to have a qualifying OS installed.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
    killed a great many philosophers.
    ~ Denis Diderot
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Hello Anonymouse7261,

The answer to your question depends on what  type of Licensing the Windows 7 is under (Retail or OEM).  

OEM Licensing Terms for Windows only allow the Windows to run on the first PC it was installed on.  In addition, a unique PC is determined by the Motherboard. Meaning changing out a Motherboard makes that PC (as far as Licensing is concerned) a new unique PC.

Retail Licensing Terms normally allow the Windows to be moved from on PC to another with the only restriction being that the Windows is install on only one PC at a time.

As far as I am aware, Upgrade version of Windows 7 only come as Retail, not OEM. 
    (I could be wrong in this since there could be some sort specal OEM Licensing for schools that I'm just not aware of...Please see the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for the licensing terms specific to your software). 

If you upgrade a PC from a Vista OEM using a Windows 7 Retail Upgrade, your resulting License will be Retail.

So, in your situation, if your Windows 7 Upgrade is Retail Licensed (and the Windows currently on your PC is OEM Licensed), then I recommend holding off on changing the Motherboard till after you Upgrade to a Retail License.

I hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    Monday, February 1, 2010 8:06 PM