none
Upgrading to MCSE Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Just to make sure I have my head on straight, before I begin my road to MCSE:Server Infrastructure, does all of this sound correct? I found this would be my shortest path (4 tests instead of 5):

I currently have
    MCTIP: Windows 7 Ent. Desktop Support Tech (and automatically received MCSA: Win 7)

To reach MCSE: Server Infrastructure
    I need to pass:
    686 (To receive MCITP: Win 7 Ent. Desktop Admin.)

Does the above path sound like a better idea than starting from scratch and passing 410,411,412,413, and 414 for the MCSE: Server Infrastructure cert?
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:49 AM

Answers

• Upgrade exams (such as 70-417) are generally more difficult as they cover content from multiple individual exams (in this case, 410, 411 and 412).  

70-417 is broken down into three sub-exams/sections and you need to get 700/1000 for each of the sub-exams/sections to pass the exam.  This means that even if you get 800/1000 and 800/1000 for sections 410 and 411 but only get 699/1000 for section 412, you will fail the exam.  The upside is that upgrade exams generally only contain content that has been added to the new version of technology therefore you only need to research the new features instead of researching everything.

I usually do the individual exams as sometimes I find it beneficial to recap on areas of a technology that I may not have had exposure too for a while.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, January 4, 2013 4:52 AM

All replies

• Upgrade exams (such as 70-417) are generally more difficult as they cover content from multiple individual exams (in this case, 410, 411 and 412).  

70-417 is broken down into three sub-exams/sections and you need to get 700/1000 for each of the sub-exams/sections to pass the exam.  This means that even if you get 800/1000 and 800/1000 for sections 410 and 411 but only get 699/1000 for section 412, you will fail the exam.  The upside is that upgrade exams generally only contain content that has been added to the new version of technology therefore you only need to research the new features instead of researching everything.

I usually do the individual exams as sometimes I find it beneficial to recap on areas of a technology that I may not have had exposure too for a while.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, January 4, 2013 4:52 AM
  • THnkas Mr Wharty, so what you will recommend like mine I have done my Exam 70-686 in DEsktop Enviroment. What certfication next that I should take to server path?

Antonio Jr

Friday, January 4, 2013 8:12 AM