none
Help... My "System" section is getting out of control. RRS feed

• Question

• Six days ago I added a 1TB drive to my HP WHS.  At the same time I turned on folder duplication on a 350GB folder.  I now have a machine that I can almost never log into, a CPU that's pegged at 100%, a system section that's 599GB, a completely full 1 TB drive (the new one), and a warning saying that my folder duplication is failing due to lack of room.

Now.... I'm no expert here, but adding 1TB of storage to any otherwise healthy system and turning duplication on for 350GB really shouldn't cause this.

Thoughts?  I don't want to switch off duplication if this is an intermediate state, but 6 days to copy 350GB seems a bit excessive and even still the "system" section shouldn't be 599GB.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:40 PM

Answers

• This keeps getting odder and odder.

Now I'm back to a 20GB system and I have about 900GB free again.

The machine is still kinda horked and it's been a week since it's been balanced.  Could this all be a temporary state thing while it balances (the drives are all running according to the disk manager)?
    Did you also turn off folder duplication for any shares? The space shown as "system" is usually the reclaimation of space that will eventually be marked "free."

Either way, taking a week to balance is not right. You might want to consider a server reinstall.
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:03 PM

All replies

• Six days ago I added a 1TB drive to my HP WHS.  At the same time I turned on folder duplication on a 350GB folder.  I now have a machine that I can almost never log into, a CPU that's pegged at 100%, a system section that's 599GB, a completely full 1 TB drive (the new one), and a warning saying that my folder duplication is failing due to lack of room.

Now.... I'm no expert here, but adding 1TB of storage to any otherwise healthy system and turning duplication on for 350GB really shouldn't cause this.

Thoughts?  I don't want to switch off duplication if this is an intermediate state, but 6 days to copy 350GB seems a bit excessive and even still the "system" section shouldn't be 599GB.

Thanks,
    Steve

Hi,

What additional add-ins do you have installed and what add-ins do you have that map directly to D:\? Anything that maps outside of the shares i.e. \\servername\shares will show as "system" space. 

And, when you check the failling duplication, how much space do the shares take that are duplicated? Keep in mind that you will need to subtract any "system" space that is mapping directly to D:\ from your available space for duplication.  So if you have an application that is taking up close to 600GB, that only leaves about 350GB for duplication.
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:01 PM
  • I have 632GB set to be duplicated
    I have 750GB set not to be duplicated

or about 2TB total space

My Drive Capacity is:

931.51 GB
    698.64 GB
    465.76 GB (system)
    465.76 GB
    279.46 GB

or about 2.8TB

The only add-in type thing that I added was "Disk Management" which really shouldn't take up any space.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:21 PM
  • I have 632GB set to be duplicated
    I have 750GB set not to be duplicated

or about 2TB total space

My Drive Capacity is:

931.51 GB
    698.64 GB
    465.76 GB (system)
    465.76 GB
    279.46 GB

or about 2.8TB

The only add-in type thing that I added was "Disk Management" which really shouldn't take up any space.

What are the version numbers under setting>resources in the control panel?

Is this an HP MediaSmart Server or a homebuilt machine?
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:27 PM
  • It's an HP MediaSmart Server and I'm all PP'ed up.

Windows Home Server Power Pack 2.

I should also note that it says:

Storafe Balanced on 5/14/2009 4:24PM.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:34 PM
  • It's now at 608GB
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:58 PM
  • It's now at 608GB

From the Power Pack 1 release notes.

A new and improved storage size algorithm is implemented for listing Server Storage usage.

Free space is now measured from the hard drives connected to your home server.

Prior to Power Pack 1, the System size was computed based on the size of the C: partition (20GB) and the size of D:\folders\.  With Power Pack 1, the System size is now calculated as total size minus the sum of the shared folders, duplicated folders, and home computer backups.

After Power Pack 1 is installed, you may see an increase in the System size because of the new algorithm. The increased size accounts for volume shadow copies, the Recycle Bin, as well as any files that are stored on your home server outside the shared folders or application folders.

To reclaim the space, try the following:

1.      Empty the Recycle Bin. If you use your home server as a desktop, the Recycle Bin may have some files in it.

2.      Check the following folder to view and delete and orphan shadow files: folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}\

3.      Delete the existing shadow copies. To do this, open a command prompt window on your home server (via a Remote Desktop Connection or using the Windows Home Server Toolkit Add-in) and run the following command: vssadmin delete shadows/all.

Caution! If you do this, all the folder and file previous versions in your Windows Home Server shared folders will be deleted.

The only other way this could happen is if something is saving files to a location outside the shared folders like a torrent application or MyMovies.

Also, with the HPMediaSmart Servers, they come with PVConnect and McAfee as optional add-ins. If you are running on 512MB of memory and install these, they will peg your processor.

Windows Home Server

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:52 PM
  • I don't have any torrent or MyMovies or anything else on there.  I've also not turned on PVConnect or McAfee as add-ins.  It's now up to 746GB and I've only got 21GB free. (that would be A LOT of torrenting! ;) )

The other locations you mentioned didn't appear to be large.

The entire folders directory is only 78GB and the orphan shadow had nothing in it.

Likewise I recycled the recycle bin (it had but a folder or two in it).

Why does it not have a recent storage balanced time?
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:28 PM
  • If you haven't done so yet, could you run the command:

VSSAdmin Delete Shadows /All

on your server?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:49 PM
  • I can.  However, I want to make sure that it will have no effect on computer backups.  It will only kill all "previous" versions, right?
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:52 PM
  • VSSAdmin Delete Shadows /All

Gets me:

Error: Invalid Command

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:23 PM
  • No items found that satisfy the query
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 11:48 PM
  • No items found that satisfy the query

Please check the size of the log files in:

Server logs:         
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Thanks!

Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:15 PM
  • 121 MBs worth of logs
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:29 PM
  • The bizarre thing is that looking at the file system I just can't find anything odd.  It's all generally what I would expect.

I should also note that I'm getting a bunch of "A serious error has occured" dialogs.
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:44 PM

The machine is still kinda horked and it's been a week since it's been balanced.  Could this all be a temporary state thing while it balances (the drives are all running according to the disk manager)?
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:20 PM

Did you also turn off folder duplication for any shares? The space shown as "system" is usually the reclaimation of space that will eventually be marked "free."

Either way, taking a week to balance is not right. You might want to consider a server reinstall.
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:03 PM
  • The problem with a server reinstall is that (and this one gets me a little frustrated) all computer backups are lost, right?
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Normally, backups (or files in shares not flagged for duplication) are only lost if A) you replace a disk, and B) some components of the backup database were stored on that disk. Your average run-of-the-mill server reinstallation due to OS corruption should not cause the loss of any files in your shares, or of any backups.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:15 PM
  • Well that's good to know.  I still think that everything should be redundant in a product like this, but it's better than I thought.

I'm a little hesitant to do a server upgrade (mostly because I've got no disk drive and no monitor but also because it's clearly rebalancing *something*.  The drives are all showing I/O and the % fulls are sloooowlllly changing)

Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Well that's good to know.  I still think that everything should be redundant in a product like this, but it's better than I thought.

I'm a little hesitant to do a server upgrade (mostly because I've got no disk drive and no monitor but also because it's clearly rebalancing *something*.  The drives are all showing I/O and the % fulls are sloooowlllly changing)

There is an add-in that will backup your backup database. A server reinstallation only rewrites the sys partition (c:\), it leaves your data partition alone so another drive is not needed. If you do a full installation, then you need another drive to relocate your data.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Whoops -- I meant that I don't have a DVD/CD drive because it's the HP product.  Don't I need one?
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Whoops -- I meant that I don't have a DVD/CD drive because it's the HP product.  Don't I need one?

You don't need a DVD drive on the server. You will need a x86 client machine that has a DVD drive.

Instructions are here
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 9:13 PM