Backup fails at 0% RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running an Acer aspire easy store H340 with WHS and have 5 computers networked to it; 2 Windows 7, 2 XP and 1 Vista. An XP desktop fails to back up automaticly or manualy most of the time. All the others backup fine Manual or Auto. When the XP computer fails to backup the Failure Details for Volume is "Network connection between the computer and server was lost".  It usually shows 0% backed up and stays that way even when I cancel the backup.

Any help would be appreciated.

Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:32 PM

Answers

• You have a beta version of Power Pack 3 installed. As you were warned when you downloaded and installed it, you must manually remove it before Power Pack 3 RTM will install through automatic updates. See this post for more.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by EdV23 Saturday, November 28, 2009 10:07 PM
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:36 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    these error messages can be irritating, checking the clients event log for related errors may be more helpful. (Especially such from Windows Home Server backup and Volume Shadow Copy Service - VSS - would be interesting.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:47 PM
  • Olaf,

I'm not sure how to check the client’s event log and I'm not familiar with VSS?

This is the Server Conectivity Details Failure using the Toolkit 1.1
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Checking default IIS site on your Windows Home Server......
     FAIL: Default website is not Windows Home Server Site

Regards,

Ed

Sunday, November 22, 2009 2:28 AM
  • Olaf,

I'm not sure how to check the client’s event log

From your XP client:

right click on My Computer > Manage > Event Viewer, then look at the logs for the time you tried to run a backup.

and I'm not familiar with VSS?

Volume Shadow Copies (needed to take a snapshot of the volumes at the time the backup starts).

This is the Server Conectivity Details Failure using the Toolkit 1.1
    Checking default IIS site on your Windows Home Server......
     FAIL: Default website is not Windows Home Server Site

Regards,

Ed

Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:35 AM
  • Olaf,

The following are error messeges from the client’s event log at the time I tried to run a backup:

Event Viewer > Application

MS DTC log file not found. After ensuring that all Resource Managers coordinated by MS DTC have no indoubt transactions, please run msdtc -resetlog to create the log file.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

MS DTC Transaction Manager start failed. LogInit returned error 0x2.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Could not start the MS DTC Transaction Manager.

Event Viewer  > System

The Distributed Transaction Coordinator service terminated with service-specific error 3221229584 (0xC0001010).

Regards, Ed

Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:20 PM
  • Hi Ed,
    there is a KB article for this problem, maybe working through it may resolve the issue or come more narrow to the problem.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:40 PM
  • Olaf,

After I implemented the instructions in the referenced KB article the client backed up once automatically. Since then it has failed to back up automatically.  I think I will give up on this XP client and back it up with a USB hard drive.

I have a general question . When is PP3 available? I have Auto update enabled and when I click on "Update Now" I get a message that there are no updates available for the WHS. Resources show PP2.

Regards,  Ed

Friday, November 27, 2009 9:44 PM
    Resources show PP2.
    What version numbers are shown in the console, settings tab, resources view?

Friday, November 27, 2009 10:46 PM
  • Ken,

Version Numbers:
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2361.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2361.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2361.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2361.0

Regards,  Ed
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:32 AM
  • You have a beta version of Power Pack 3 installed. As you were warned when you downloaded and installed it, you must manually remove it before Power Pack 3 RTM will install through automatic updates. See this post for more.
    • Marked as answer by EdV23 Saturday, November 28, 2009 10:07 PM
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:36 AM