Production Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone tried installing the beta on a production server?

My home server has about 2TB of disk space on it with 1.3TB in use I would really hate to have to rebuild it if things go wrong, should I do it?

PS. I do have backups of important data, it's just I would rather avoid all the work of rebuilding the server if things go badly.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:24 PM

Answers

• This is a question of "level of risk tolerance." I come from a fairly traditional IT background. Therefore I would never install preproduction code on a production server. I have PP1 running in VMs and on a test server, but not my production server.

If you're more risk tolerant than I you can certainly install on your production server. (I honestly believe that PP1 is pretty much production ready; in particular I don't think there are any data issues that are likely to bite you at this point. I'm still holding off a few more days.) With 1.3 TB of data on your server, rebuilding it would be a fairly sizeable task, though.

In the end, it's your decision. You might want to wait another day or two to make it, so that you can see if any serious issues pop up.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:00 PM
  • I have complete backups of my Windows Home Server and I have installed it on my "production" server.  Works great for me so far but if something happens, I still have backups.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Hi, yes I have installed the prerelease pp1 on my production server and did some testing described into the doc file which comes with the pp1, until today no problems what so ever.

I don't have backups as I really don't have the hd space for extra backups.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:37 PM

All replies

• This is a question of "level of risk tolerance." I come from a fairly traditional IT background. Therefore I would never install preproduction code on a production server. I have PP1 running in VMs and on a test server, but not my production server.

If you're more risk tolerant than I you can certainly install on your production server. (I honestly believe that PP1 is pretty much production ready; in particular I don't think there are any data issues that are likely to bite you at this point. I'm still holding off a few more days.) With 1.3 TB of data on your server, rebuilding it would be a fairly sizeable task, though.

In the end, it's your decision. You might want to wait another day or two to make it, so that you can see if any serious issues pop up.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:00 PM
  • I have complete backups of my Windows Home Server and I have installed it on my "production" server.  Works great for me so far but if something happens, I still have backups.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Hi, yes I have installed the prerelease pp1 on my production server and did some testing described into the doc file which comes with the pp1, until today no problems what so ever.

I don't have backups as I really don't have the hd space for extra backups.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:37 PM
  • SAme question for me, what if I install on Production server, what can I do when the final release gets out ? will the final release uninstall any beta or will we have to do it manually??

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:53 PM
  •  daghood wrote:

SAme question for me, what if I install on Production server, what can I do when the final release gets out ? will the final release uninstall any beta or will we have to do it manually??

You will have to manually uninstall the beta before the final RTM version of Power Pack 1 will be downloadable and installable from Windows Updates.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:54 PM