Is it 3 machines or 3 downloads? RRS feed

• Question

• First of all apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere.

I am unclear whether the license grants the use of OneCare on three machines or for the facility to download three times.

Two issues, if an uninstall and reinstall on the same machine is required is this counted as one or two against the license terms? Secondly I expect to change a machine in a few months but still have only three machines (max) running OneCare, how does the license deal with replacement machines if the old machine is scrapped?

Friday, January 25, 2008 11:53 AM

Answers

•  kertjycoth wrote:

First of all apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere.

I am unclear whether the license grants the use of OneCare on three machines or for the facility to download three times.

Two issues, if an uninstall and reinstall on the same machine is required is this counted as one or two against the license terms? Secondly I expect to change a machine in a few months but still have only three machines (max) running OneCare, how does the license deal with replacement machines if the old machine is scrapped?

3 active machines concurrently.

So, if a machine needs to be reinstalled, that does not eat another license. If a machine is replaced, as long as the old machine is not actually running, installing to the replacement and activating is fine.

All machines installed and activated with the same LiveID (that is the Subscription ID) become part of a Circle for advanced functionality. If you make one or more PCs act as "hubs" you will see all other PCs that are activated with the same LiveID. You can remove a PC from the Circle from a hub, which unsubscribes OneCare from that machine if it is still online. If it is a dead machine, it simply cleans up your hub display list.

-steve

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:17 PM

All replies

•  kertjycoth wrote:

First of all apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere.

3 active machines concurrently.

So, if a machine needs to be reinstalled, that does not eat another license. If a machine is replaced, as long as the old machine is not actually running, installing to the replacement and activating is fine.

All machines installed and activated with the same LiveID (that is the Subscription ID) become part of a Circle for advanced functionality. If you make one or more PCs act as "hubs" you will see all other PCs that are activated with the same LiveID. You can remove a PC from the Circle from a hub, which unsubscribes OneCare from that machine if it is still online. If it is a dead machine, it simply cleans up your hub display list.

-steve

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:17 PM
  • Excellent and very clear answer thank you very much.

"3 active machines concurrently" is a very simple but practical way of dealing with the issue. I am very pleased with OneCare only 24 hours on and I can feel the "Subcribe" button beckoning!

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:47 PM
  • Do hold off until the nags begin to annoy you, so that you can take advantage of the trial period. Keep an eye out for retail sales as you can use a retail key to activate when your 90 days are almost up - no need to reinstall with the CD. The subscription begins when you activate on the first PC.

-steve

Friday, January 25, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Good advice, particularly about the retail sales. Thanks again. I'm impressed with this site.

Friday, January 25, 2008 3:53 PM