Vista OEM -> Windows 7 using MAK license not working RRS feed

• Question

•  

Let me start off with the basics.. 

I had an OEM (preinstalled on my Acer Aspire) copy of Vista Home Premium installed on my machine and didn't want to lose files/settings/program so I simply did an in-place (or is there a better term for it?) upgrade opting to not format and to leave all programs and settings intact. However, the key I used (an MSDN MAK) will not work!

I know it has more uses left.. The message I get is that the key is not valid for this version of Windows.. anybody got any help for me on this subject? 

I really do not want to format and do a fresh install of Windows 7 Enterprise just to make my copy stop complaining about activation as the settings and programs installed all work soooo smoothly.. Is there an easy way to do a fresh install and copy ALL settings and programs (including settings for said programs) in one swoop? I

I believe the problem is that my MAK will not work because this copy of Windows is not Enterprise and only Enterprise has the authentication for MAK built in or it may be that because it's an upgrade it won't work? I really do not know, I just do not want to lose my data! Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

• Edited by wizayne Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:57 PM the font size went all weird and small ... dunno .. i copied and when i pasted it was at 67% of original size..
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:26 PM

Answers

• "wizayne" wrote in message news:927287f7-94b0-457a-a0b4-31b5b39862f7...

Oh, I do realize the only option I may have is to reinstall using Enterprise to use the MAK. Does someone out there know of an application that can do amazing backups of settings and installed applications that I do not know about? 

According to MS at https://partner.microsoft.com/US/40032371 not all products do not work with MAK however they do not list Windows 7 Ultimate as being one of them.. Here's the thing, I also have a Windows 7 Professional key (MAK also) which did not work for the same reason as above my above post so it has to be something that is different in the licensing type of an upgraded OS .... or what?

Try contacting the Concierge at MSDN for assistance with this.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 7:20 PM

All replies

• Oh, I do realize the only option I may have is to reinstall using Enterprise to use the MAK. Does someone out there know of an application that can do amazing backups of settings and installed applications that I do not know about? 

According to MS at https://partner.microsoft.com/US/40032371 not all products do not work with MAK however they do not list Windows 7 Ultimate as being one of them.. Here's the thing, I also have a Windows 7 Professional key (MAK also) which did not work for the same reason as above my above post so it has to be something that is different in the licensing type of an upgraded OS .... or what?

Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:55 PM
  • "wizayne" wrote in message news:927287f7-94b0-457a-a0b4-31b5b39862f7...

Oh, I do realize the only option I may have is to reinstall using Enterprise to use the MAK. Does someone out there know of an application that can do amazing backups of settings and installed applications that I do not know about? 

Try contacting the Concierge at MSDN for assistance with this.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 7:20 PM
  • The  can do the "Marked As Answer" but not actually take the time to post back? That answer was as vague as they come so much so as to not be an answer at all... 

Furthermore, I've seen some of your posts, Mr. Smith. They are very good and insightful, but.....the silence is utterly appalling in this thread. 

I am going to assume you must be a subscriber of MSDN to use the Concierge at MSDN, and I am not. My friend said it should work and if it doesn't to simply reinstall.. that's really what I had hoped to avoid which is why I was posting this and keeping my fingers crossed or hoping for some type of miracle-software that I've never heard of... Oh, well...

IMHO, the post above is DEFINITELY not the "Answer"

-- -- -- http://www.fmsinc.com/MSDN_Premium/#online%20concierge -- -- -- 

Online Concierge

MSDN.com is an incomparable online resource for Developer information. This depth of information can be a challenge to navigate. MSDN Online Concierge is a chat-based service, providing subscribers with an exclusive guide to the online world of MSDN."

If I was able that would've been the first thing I would've done, but thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:35 AM
  • Hello wizayne,

You wrote, " Does someone out there know of an application that can do amazing backups of settings and installed applications that I do not know about?"

And you wrote, "...the silence is utterly appalling in this thread."

When one asks a very off-topic question, silence should be expected.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:28 AM