Maximum Size For External Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

The postings on maximum hard drive sizes were not all consistent.  So, I'm posting this question:

I have a 2 TB internal drive on my WHS 2011 server that I installed with default options.  That drive uses a smaller partition for the O/S, and then the rest of the drive space is partitioned for the client computer backups and Shared folders.

Next, I purchased a 2 TB external USB connected drive to back up the Server itself, and when I try to backup everything, I get failures such as "Windows Backup Failed to Dismount the Backup Image" which could be caused by size limitations.

What I would like to know is can I put a 4 TB drive as an external USB, and will WHS 2011 be able to handle it?

Thanks,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 7:45 PM

Answers

• The jury is out on that one! Read towards the end of this thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8aba0866-745d-4b12-8fdf-078639c6f7f9/help-with-five-issues?forum=whs2011

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Tuesday, April 8, 2014 11:25 PM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 9:26 PM
  • I've never seen that message so I can;t help you with that.

What I can help you with is the question on whether one can do a Server Backup to a drive in excess of 2TB. Yes you can. I *think* it must be a 4K/512e physical sector size drive (512 sector size would work but they don't come in large drive sizes AFAIK), a 4K/4K will most likely not work but AFAIK, such drives are not for sale.

Also, the totale volume of Server Backup data that is being backed up may be in excess of 2TB, but any single volume must be smaller than 2TB in size (and of course the aggregate volume of the volumes must be less than the drive you backup the Server to).

One caveat: I have tested this with a 4TB drive connected to SATA (I have a kind of enclosure in the case where I can easily remove HDDs), not through USB. I do not think it would make a difference but I just do not know for sure.

Are you using *one* drive in the server? AFAIK, if and when you would re-install WHS 2011, it will re-intialise the entire drive which would cause data loss then (although, the Server Backups may be a saviour in such case).

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Wednesday, April 9, 2014 3:31 PM
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 10:12 AM

All replies

• The jury is out on that one! Read towards the end of this thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8aba0866-745d-4b12-8fdf-078639c6f7f9/help-with-five-issues?forum=whs2011

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Tuesday, April 8, 2014 11:25 PM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 9:26 PM
  • Thanks, Phil:

The worst that can happen is that I waste $179 on a 4 TB drive.  Thanks for finding that link.

Regards,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 11:26 PM
  • I've never seen that message so I can;t help you with that.

What I can help you with is the question on whether one can do a Server Backup to a drive in excess of 2TB. Yes you can. I *think* it must be a 4K/512e physical sector size drive (512 sector size would work but they don't come in large drive sizes AFAIK), a 4K/4K will most likely not work but AFAIK, such drives are not for sale.

Also, the totale volume of Server Backup data that is being backed up may be in excess of 2TB, but any single volume must be smaller than 2TB in size (and of course the aggregate volume of the volumes must be less than the drive you backup the Server to).

One caveat: I have tested this with a 4TB drive connected to SATA (I have a kind of enclosure in the case where I can easily remove HDDs), not through USB. I do not think it would make a difference but I just do not know for sure.

Are you using *one* drive in the server? AFAIK, if and when you would re-install WHS 2011, it will re-intialise the entire drive which would cause data loss then (although, the Server Backups may be a saviour in such case).

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Wednesday, April 9, 2014 3:31 PM
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 10:12 AM