none
Recertification Requirements for MCSD:Web Applcations

Question

• I am an MCSD and am coming up on the time to recertify.  However, I am confused about the information on Microsoft's website regarding what I need to do.  I had been under the impression that there would be ONE exam only.  When I look at Certification Requirements, there are two paths listed.  

The first path says I need one of the following two (494 or 494-OP) and one of something called an External exam.  I suspect the treeview is just misleading, and that the External exam is really another option instead of 494, but I don't want to spend the time working on this only to find out that I was supposed to do some other exam.  

The second path says I need the Starter Core and that I have only completed 1 of 3 requirements.  When I expand the tree, it then lists an additional NINE requirements.  

Of course, not a single link to any of these requirements in ANY path work.  They all take me to unrelated links (exam 519 took me to exam 306, e.g.) or to broken links (exam 494 took me to "Sorry, no results found for: exam 494").  Besides the obvious question ("Can't Microsoft get their act together on their own website?"), what does any of this mean?  Is Starter Core required for recertification or is it a totally different certification (maybe, Windows apps?)? Do I just need 494?  What is included in 494? Are there any study guides for this, or do I just use 486 and 487 study material? Is there any updated material for 486/487 that was written after 2013? Is it even worth doing recertification? Do the exams focus on asp.net Core or are they still using MVC5, etc.?

I took certification rather seriously the first time around, thinking it would help my career.  I'm not sure it has done a thing, other than focusing my learning (which WAS important). This time around, though, if it really is up to 11 exams (after needing only 3 initially) and has this little support from Microsoft (no functioning links, no updated study material, etc.), I have to question if it is even worth going through this again.  

If anyone has SUCCESSFULLY figured this out, or if anyone from Microsoft actually takes certification seriously, I'd appreciate some WELL-DOCUMENTED, CLEARLY DEFINED advice on how to recertify. 

Christine A. Piffat

Sunday, August 28, 2016 11:10 PM

Answers

• If you are already a MCSD on Web applications, the only exam that you need to take is 494. This is actually a combination of 496 and 497, which you already took when you got your MCSD.

I recommend looking it up in the certification page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcsd-web-apps-certification.aspx

If you are looking at the certification planner, this can be confusing because it lists multiple options that are OR (not AND) requirements; this is why you see a lot of exams there.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 6:43 AM
  • Presumably, when 487 is retired (at the end of March), 494 would then receive part of its questions from whatever exam replaces 487. As far as I know, this has not yet been announced (perhaps 70-532 or 358?), but maybe someone else who is better informed will jump in and tell us about the replacement.
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 6:26 AM

All replies

• If you are already a MCSD on Web applications, the only exam that you need to take is 494. This is actually a combination of 496 and 497, which you already took when you got your MCSD.

I recommend looking it up in the certification page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcsd-web-apps-certification.aspx

If you are looking at the certification planner, this can be confusing because it lists multiple options that are OR (not AND) requirements; this is why you see a lot of exams there.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 6:43 AM
  • Thanks!  If 494 is based on 486 and 487, what happens to this exam when 487 is retired next year? My recertification is due in March, so if I time it correctly, I would assume that studying for 486 and 487 is sufficient. However, if I do not complete this exam prior to 487's retirement, what exam would replace that?

Christine A. Piffat

Monday, September 5, 2016 11:09 PM
  • Presumably, when 487 is retired (at the end of March), 494 would then receive part of its questions from whatever exam replaces 487. As far as I know, this has not yet been announced (perhaps 70-532 or 358?), but maybe someone else who is better informed will jump in and tell us about the replacement.
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 6:26 AM