How to reinstall without original CDs? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to re-install Office 2007 on my computer I bought directly for Dell, but I do not have the original CDs anymore.  What do I do to get rid of these "not genuine" messages?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 7:50 PM

Answers

• Dell does sell or install Volume License software...only Genuine OEM software.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:04 AM

All replies

• Please see: How to order Dell Backup Discs
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Dell wants to charge me $40 for new CDs since my warranty has expired, when this is in fact not my problem....it's a problem created by Microsoft.  What recourse do I have since I was minding my own business before Microsoft installed this "critical" update which is now causing problems?  And how many thousands of windows/office have had to be reinstalled since this WGA came out?  I can promise that more bonafide customers have been affected by this than pirates.  The lure of Steve Jobs just got a little stronger....
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:58 PM
  • To help us analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool

Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post, along with your question.

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:06 PM
  • I already posted it in this thread:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuineoffice/thread/4fecc673-dab1-435d-9153-59f9784dd61c 
    and was told that my product key was stolen or something.  Again, not my problem....but Microsoft is making it a problem for me and costing me more money (to Dell because they charge for phone calls) to get a replacement CD.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:49 AM
  • Dell does sell or install Volume License software...only Genuine OEM software.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:04 AM
  • I'm not sure how that helps me.  I bought this computer directly from Dell with the software already installed.  Over 1 year later you guys are telling me that the software is no longer genuine for reasons unrelated to my computer.  In other words, why should this suddenly be my problem?
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:40 AM
  • Look-up your original Dell invoice.  Is a purchased copy of Microsoft Office 2007 shown?
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:06 AM
  • I don't have the original Dell invoice (it's almost 2 years old) and their website doesn't recognize my service tag for some reason, so I can't look it up online.  And it costs $40 just to make a phone call to them regardless. 
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:16 AM
  • Hello toofache32,

What's your service tag #?

If you haven't reinstalled your Operating System, your Service tag # is also your computer name minus the leading "D."

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:35 AM
  • Hmmmm I'm not sure it's a good idea to post my service tag here in public.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:30 PM
  • Hello toofache32,

There is nothing on the page specific to your service tag that connects any personally identifiable info to you.

Besides, Dell has sold so many computers that if you know the format of their service tag, just entering random letters and numbers will bring up someone's computer in short order.

For example, on my third try at typing in random letters and numbers I came up with an Inspiron 6000 laptop:  http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=B6XJQ71&SystemID=INS_PNT_6000&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:58 PM
  • OK, the service tag is 7Q7ZXF1.  It's an XPS M1330.  I can pull up the info on the hardware configuration, but nothing on software or invoices.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Hello toofache32,

Having the Service Tag lets you look at the warranty section, which has a subsection with a description of what was shipped with the computer.

As a general rule, when you order a Dell with Office preinstalled, you will get genuine Microsoft hologrammed reinstallation CDs for the edition you ordered.  Those reinstallation CDs will be on the as-shipped list.  Your list includes disc sets for Roxio 10, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Premiere Elements, but there is no listing for Office.

To see your invoice and account details, you have to log onto the Dell site using the account you created when you ordered, if you made an account (not sure about the UK Dell site, but here in the USA you can order a Dell without creating an account on their site).

You should be able to speak with a customer service person (not a tech support person) without paying any fees.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:43 PM